NYC: 9/11 Memorial...

Remembering 9/11 brought back the harrowing memories of what happened in New York City ten years ago at the former World Trade Center Twin Towers. A place that was left in an unthinkable state on the fateful time of 9/11 has been rising upwards from the ashes of that fateful event. The 9/11 Memorial Site was a place I had to visit during my year in New Jersey.


Why did I want to visit the 9/11 Memorial? I wanted to see the area through my own eyes. The New York City skyline will never be the same, a breath of fresh air is making its way through the Financial District. There won't be way to bring back the same towers, a development is taking great shape before the world's watching eyes. One World Trade Center will give hope and prosperity to the once devastated site. A sense of awareness has been awoken by a large part of humankind as this new focal point has become a holistic vigil point as a place of remembrance. I thought it was necessary to pay my respects to the people that lost their lives during that devastating act of terrorism that happened one decade ago. The new tower is dominating the Downtown skyline, giving the district back its grand appearance that was once visible. We can't change what happened on 9/11, so we can pay our respects and move forwards.

The current phase of construction around the former 'Ground Zero' area is still a work in progress, the new projects will be finished in 2013. Change is coming to the former Twin Towers but through the tragedy there seems to be something positive that progressing to signify a new chapter in the life to remember of New York City's darkest day! Witnessing the energy around the work area is something else, whether the passers-by are making their commute or just taking a break there is a feeling of cohesion and hope in the air. I for one pass the construction site when I take the PATH train to World Trade Center Station from Newark Penn. From a visitor's point of seeing things, there was an overwhelming feeling of excitement in the air. I remain sure that this part of NYC has some big things to look forward to. I hope that the new development brings a feeling of strength to New York City! NYC will build a formidable tower and transport interchange that will give new life. Keep the faith!


I would like to think that I have a knack for visiting places that less than ordinary. For instance I took it upon myself to seek the Headquarters of The United Nations during one of my days off . Now deciding to discover the 9/11 Memorial Site. My visit to this endearing place may have only been brief but in the end it was extremely insightful. Finding a pace that felt like it was a pocket of calm in the centre of all chaos was great to experience. The 9/11 Memorial site remembers the dark times of the terrorist attacks that blighted New York City over 10 years ago. Whereas entry may be free it allows people from all walks of life to admire the exhibits and to remember the cause. A feeling of calm definitely descended upon the memorial site considering the main construction area overlooked the four corners of the site. In-particular the North and South pools omitted a very sobering feeling, no lie. Yes NYC, so sobering!

As July 2012 brought some crazy weather, the day I spent at the 9/11 Memorial allowed me to experience a tonne of rain and gloomy weather. No, I didn't see the dreary conditions an excuse to hop back on the PATH train back to Newark Penn Station, I had something responsible tourism to execute! As far as popular places of interest go I would have to say that the 9/11 Memorial was a hype of activity with the large numbers of visitors taking their time to view the thought provoking sights at the memorial ground. I don't think this place should be viewed with the same gusto like the Empire State building is seen, we need to be respectful and conduct our emotions in a respectable manner. The exercising of true rememberance and mindfulness was how I acted during my visit to the 9/11 Memorial in Downtown NYC! I know that during my time having lived near NYC, I have ensured my sightseeing efforts has focussed on substance to balance the fun times. Make those choices well.


The said memorial gives NYC's Downtown the perfect sanctuary where the people can pay their respects in peace without feeling the full craziness of the city. It's no selfie crazy sight, this place has to be taken quite seriously its not like seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building! I found this memorial site had a feeling of calm where I could take a moment's solace to think about things. The future brings a new exhibit to the memorial site, a museum in the grounds of the memorial grounds is currently under major construction, well at the time of my visit it stood unopened. Only time will tell what things will be displayed for visitors to see. When looking at the effects of the reinvention of the Twin Towers I could not comment on the grounds of what improvements these new structures will make but simply the impact and the legacy that they are intended to create. We remember!

Will time be the healer for this situation? Whatever happens I have a strong feeling that the memory of the day in-question shall be remembered appropriately. Honestly, looking towards the future I do hope that the new developments and the inclusion of the 9/11 Memorial will heightened the impact that the terrorist attacks have caused. We can change the past but we can look onwards to the future, hoping that life can move with the times not forgetting the events of 9/11. Captured above to the left is a photo from the 9/11 Memorial that speaks without words for the stillness of the whole area is quite eerie in one sense but in another its the way one would imagine this place to be. Construction carried on throughout my visit so like I have tirelessly mentioned many times before in this blog the wheels are most definitely in motion. As I made my way back to Newark, New Jersey I felt like my day in the city was well worth it. Yes, I'll be seeing you One World Trade Center!

Remember 9/11! 

Joseph Harrison

Comments