Learning To Be Me... Industrial Placement: Part 2!

Learning to be who? I was lucky enough to be selected by Hallmark Aviation Services to work at Newark Liberty Airport for Virgin Atlantic Airways. I loved being a fully-fledged Passenger Services Agent! What was I thinking going to live in the U.S.A for eleven months?! Embodying my fierce Britney Bitch persona helped me get along with Newark life! Oh, Britney did the most! 

Newark's Ironbound became my new home, showing me a whole new way of American life. Fast food restaurants became secondary after those elite Portuguese and Brazilian barbecue eateries, they served the tastiest chicken, rice and beans! The realisation that I would be living in Newark for close to a year was incomprehensible after I had experienced my clean-cut summer at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando the previous year. Something told me this time round things would be serious. 333 Lafayette St became my home, well one of the apartments did, it was real! Walking to work at 03:00 am through the mean streets of Newark became second nature, getting to know the nocturnal habits of Ferry Street put me in good stead ensuring my safe arrival at Newark Penn Station for my bus to Newark Liberty Airport. Sharing an apartment with two colleagues from England wasn't a mood, one of the girls I had time for but the other? She was lazy, entitled and rude, there's no way for me to be nice. Good riddance to bad energy! 

So, after completing three semesters of my BA Hons Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree I choose to interview for a opportunity to be part of the Virgin Atlantic Airways ground operation at Newark's Liberty International Airport working as a Passenger Services Agent. Little did I know my love for the Newark Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse would be my ultimate favourite department from working at EWR. The airport was amazing for the most part, seeing the Virgin Atlantic Cabin Crew report for the VS2 and VS18 flights to London Heathrow gave me life, some of those fly boys were very easy on the eye! Building my fierce persona had to be done, people forget how to act properly when they are passengers so she pushed me forwards through those once daunting situations. Newark, New Jersey had edge so I appreciated the hustle of my colleagues who called the 'Brick City' home. Would I ever go back to airport life? I really don't know but it was an almighty experience! I will definitely return to Newark, but not right now, B. 

I was tired, I was under-nourished but most importantly my waist was snatched! During those airport days, it was all about looking good in that moment! I had grown a lot during the space of that year, the first months had been overwhelming, the gravitas of this 'Passenger Services Agent' gig had caught up with me but checking those passports and dealing with connecting passengers became easier. I always asked questions, people were there to deal with my presence because I brought the drama and made everybody laugh! Life in New Jersey had created an outspoken and extra version of 'Britney', one of my colleagues tried to do a character assassination of me but her remarks built me up and gave me something different to serve! The hours were harsh, I snatch sleep when I could and some days I did oversleep because the schedule was unreal. Now, I count myself lucky when I can sleep properly with having to wake up in the small hours, being a student again in 2013 has its perks. EWR, I loved the Clubhouse! 

I had moments during my placement where I shook and thought I couldn't do it, I was gathered several times and knew that I had the nerve to complete my placement! A cancellation of the program meant that I was one of the last interns to come from England to take this opportunity, I wasn't mad! I escorted celebrities through security, now some where more friendly than others, money can't buy class though! I knew that I was going to be alright as I allowed countless heavy bags go through unnoticed because I was flirted with those gorgeous gentleman passengers, Britney did the most! All good things must come to an end, my third term at University College Birmingham beckoned. Would I ever go back to the airport? Yes, but to only take a flight, I had worked my last shift for certain! The chaos of delays will never be my thing! Captured above was on my last morning shift, I was made such a fuss of! The goodbye celebrations from the morning shift had me feeling grateful for their adoration, I had been their entertainment for one year, B! 

Hopping over from New Jersey to NYC became second nature to me, I loved being a twenty minute walk away from the 24 hour PATH train. Facing my fear of heights at the top of the Empire State Building, I did the damn thing! New York City enabled me to reunite with my Disney friend, Ritika! Our meetings were amazing, a series of meetings that I won't forget in a hurry! Tequila? Yes! You see this city in the movies, I actually saw it all for real! Nothing will ever compare! I also caught a baseball game at the Yankee Stadium in the Bronx! Where was Jenny? The feeling of standing in the middle of the action watching the lights of Times Square took my breath away, a site that was truly amazing! Throughout the year New York showed me many sides, some mesmerising and some shady, that's what life's all about! I tried to get outside of the tourist traps, Newark wasn't and still isn't a tourist trap, I lived that truth each every day during my placement year. Was I tired? Sleep was for the weak in the city that never sleeps! Go!

Throughout my year I made sure I travelled to many places across America, I even crossed over the border to Canada twice! I left Jersey for the bright lights of Las Vegas for one weekend, it was a weekend that will remain with me for a very long time! I used every opportunity to take a short trip away to see something new, a new state or even a new country. I used all of my holiday allowance and even got an e-mail to prove it! My island holiday to Puerto Rico has to be my ultimate trip of the year! I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my time in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. Trying my best to sample the local cuisine and to not be rude by having a few too many margarita's, well one can never drink to much in my book! I know that I will always miss the streets of Newark, NJ! Newark and it's Ironbound taught me how to be, I wasn't made that Newark had an edge, it kept me on my toes. I knew where not to venture, those NJ 62 buses journeys to the airport always kept things fresh, certainly they did! No, I didn't want go home! 

I was the hostess with the mostest, serving as a Clubhouse Host in both the original and new Newark Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. The new Clubhouse made me realise that my dream of having a long-term career within the airline Industry could become true! Was I mad? Yes! I need to graduate from university before making any decisions. I have to say a huge 'Thank You' to the Clubhouse Manager for giving me the opportunities within the Virgin Clubhouse and believing in me! The Clubhouse gave me life, working with my sisters it made my mornings and evenings working at EWR. This experience did come with some stressful times and the odd struggle but as the 'New Joe' emerged I worked and served during my shifts at Newark Airport. I had my way with the guests as this job requires personality and flare this made my everyday job quite extraordinary! BB toned her vibe down but she knew her Upper Class flow! Yes, I saw many famous faces at Newark Liberty's finest residence. I loved making the boarding calls! Welcome! 

I worked with the best and those people who I'm still talking to, well they will be friends for life! My number ones will always be Valerie and Fiorella, they will always be in my life! Fiorella became my bestie instantly, we clicked! I loved speaking Spanish with her, getting to know more about her native country, Peru. Valerie is originally from the Philippines and she welcomed me to a Filipino style Thanksgiving during October 2012. Getting know Valerie's culture really got me thinking about taking a trip to the Philippines in the future. I met people outside of the airport through mutuals, I remember taking trips to Central Park during the summer, everything was blessed. Taking the PATH through the night back to Newark with a chilled outlook, I'll never forget those nights walking home along Ferry Street with a guaranteed nights sleep. The year of 2012 was blessed, I had the chance to develop my character and fully embrace this expat lifestyle. Just you wait and see, I need to graduate and then I'll go overseas again! Time to fly, B! 

A B*tch Was Born! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments