Who's Calling?... It's Liverpool, England!

Venturing back to the city of the Mersey River had to be done! Liverpool holds the connection to a distant family port arrival! Previously seeking out the Port of Liverpool and the Royal Albert Dock first time round, I wanted to see more during that second visit! Revealing Liverpool's Chinese secret and the RopeWalks had me ready to learn. Cilla, Liverpool's the boss! 是的! Yes!

Liverpool had called me back for a second time, alluring me to recapture the true maritime city of England! Sorry, Liverpool's own port reigned supreme during the days of the British Empire! I had seen the Port of Liverpool and Royal Albert Dock during my first visit, so I wanted to experience a part of the city that I never knew existed! Choosing the RopeWalks as the new discovery, I was transported back to pure maritime Liverpool that dated back to the days of Thomas Seel! They made ropes? Yes! I chose Duke Street for a slice of true Liverpool because that side of the city centre served standard Liverpudlian grit! I identified with the working-class vibe because that's my background, that corner of Liverpool satisfied my expectations for certain! Liverpool will always be a mint city, from Scottie Road to the Liver Birds it will always be one of my favourite British icons! I don't return to places unless they have truly captured my heart, Liverpool had done that and so much more! Liverpool knew that I wanted much more, B! 

Liverpool's RopeWalks served an abundance of restaurants, bars and shops that were right up my street! Choosing Bold Street for the best buy for the independent boutiques exuded kitsch and cool! Cutting to the chase, I was looking for more history from Liverpool's industrious past, I had to look closer! The RopeWalks found its name from the use of the narrow streets that were used to make the rope for the ships that docked in Liverpool's bustling port, serving ships that sailed to the four corners of the globe! She's international! I was impressed by the lanes where those tight ropes were walked! Rewinding the clock back some more to the 1800's, that's when Liverpool walked those ropes the house down! Yes, I mentioned those ropes twice! Liverpool wasn't about come for me, she had my back completely, showing me the sights I trusted that Northern city implicitly! London knew to take several seats during my day of learning that was spent in Liverpool, those days of Empire wouldn't have anything without Liverpool! Reign on! 

Liverpool boasts two iconic cathedrals but I chose the Anglican Cathedral within the Chinese Quarter. If I'm honest I would have to say that Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral gave me a sense of warmth with its deep crimson stone structure, even though I'm not a religious soul I loved this place of worship. I took a stroll down to the cemetery to get a different view of the cathedral to find a place that exuded a quiet and calm aura surrounding the gardens of remembrance. Now, come to think about it I haven't been to Birmingham's cathedral so I must put that on my list to do. But one thing that made sense was that I felt a connection to this grand cathedral sat on a raised platform of sorts, with that higher position the cathedral in-question had the task to look over the city of Liverpool. For me this blog is a labour of love, I am not one of those people who gets paid to travel and write, I pay for everything! Even with a students budget, I make things happen when it comes to travel and my blog content! Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral served it! 

Keeping close to the Anglican Cathedral stood Liverpool's Chinatown, I learnt that the first vessel sailed from Shanghai to Liverpool in 1834, carrying silk and cotton wool. Unlike other Chinatown's, Liverpool's grew in popularity with the Chinese sailors who chose to settle in Liverpool. Their demand for the comforts of home signified the beginning of Liverpool's Chinatown in 1866. Liverpool stood at the front of multi-cultural living with that new found Chinese community, calling the city on the Mersey their home! No, I didn't dine at one of the restaurants in the Scouse Chinatown but I will next time! Liverpool's Chinese Quarter had an understated feel that I liked. Don't get me started because I've being looking for that Shanghai Lil! Liverpool has a vintage Chinatown if I never saw one before!? Liverpool will always have a lasting legacy to its booming port days, things haven't stopped because the ships keep on trading! 你看到我的上海花了吗?...? Shanghai Lil! Where were you? 我不开心的! LP, 你在哪里啊?

Liverpool One stood as a postcode that I had remembered well, it was really quite simple! I was not in the mood to shop, wanting to do some window shopping I saved my pennies! Upon my initial 2011 visit to Liverpool, I was pleasantly surprised to see such an abundance of gleaming developments considering the recession had severed the country's spending capabilities. I didn't feel an immediate need to eat as mentioned before, saving myself for later on that day I returned to Liverpool One for a cheeky McDonalds. I already knew during that early afternoon phase that I wouldn't be drinking anything alcoholic that night! I had had enough of that dancing juice in Birmingham, I didn't want my Liverpool birthday weekend to have any mishaps. Liverpool One still impressed me much even though I didn't spend any money, being a student I really have to watch my pennies if I wanted to keep travelling! Yes, another opportunity will arise, then I can have a little drink in Liverpool! Let's just say the weekends plans had been up in the air, eye roll!

I wondered what the area around Liverpool One looked like when my family stepped off from their boat from Eastern Europe? Nevertheless, I suppose regeneration is the key? Yes! I chose to stay at Days Inn, Liverpool for the night. Getting to Liverpool One from my hotel meant I could take advantage of this complex once the sun had set. For food! I chose Days Inn, Liverpool because of the convenient location, placing me close to the world famous waterfront and James Street station, connecting me to the rest of the city! I saw my independent trip to Liverpool as something that was meant to be, that's just life. Who needs people to get in the way of your plans? I won't apologise for not visiting the Docks, because I wanted to see more of LPL! Friends, I won't make another allowance for those who attract drama to every situation. Liverpool knew that chapter had been firmly closed! Retracing my steps, I made my way closer to my next destination for the day, only the Merseyrail would get me there! Southport, let's go!

Liverpool wasn't the only place that I visited during my birthday trip, I took the Merseyrail up to Southport to catch up with my Disney pal Kat. Luck was right on my side because Kat had won two tickets to a comedy show in Liverpool's city centre! I grabbed something to eat from the chippy and jumped on the next train back to Liverpool Lime Street. The comedy show was hosted by the 'Hot Water Comedy Club'. That was a comedy company I hadn't heard of before that evening! I loved the jokes told by the three comedians, it made a change to my usual going out routine. Is comedy your thing? I loved it! The comedians brought their banter and jokes to the audience, most of it was very tongue and cheek but hilarious in the same breath. I became familiar with Scouse words like 'Boss' and  'Lad' so I learnt some of the quirks surrounding Scouse slang. This comedy lark might have to become a regular thing!? Hot Water Comedy Club was 'Boss!' Liverpool was the change that I needed, Birmingham had me feeling bothered! True!

Liverpool had me exploring the city for a second time, I felt that a third visit in the near future would an amazing idea, I still do! Getting to see different parts of that Merseyside city had me feeling re-energised because Birmingham life had me feeling displaced, I'm still getting over my post-placement depression! Getting back to Southport to see Kat was a blessing in disguise, it was another milestone from our time spent at Walt Disney World, Florida. Life moves and people sometimes change but the energy with Kat stayed the same and I had no issue with that, it was lovely to see her again! Liverpool's Chinatown taught about the rich immigration Liverpool continues to bolster, making that Chinatown one of the oldest in the United Kingdom and further afield. RopeWalks had me learning more about Liverpool's maritime history, as to the development the city has recently seen it was something of a juxtapose. The comedy show gave me the laughs that I needed, everything fell into place and that was appreciated! Bye, LPL! 

Lad, I Love Liverpool! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments