Amazing April: 2012-2015… Part 1!

So, April has come around with equally exciting opportunities for new memories to be made. Looking through the years I'm going to see what 2012 through to 2015 served to me during the month of April. From my time in Newark, NJ, then being back in England before I made the leap to China, those Aprils certainly weren't dull! Birmingham had me learning, April stayed cool! 

Turning back the hands of time, it now feels right for April 2012 to make its triumphant comeback! My third month during my Newark days in New Jersey served nothing but straight up Ironbound Realness! The whole time around April 2012 stands as a blur at this moment but I still remember the simple things, well maybe some of the more major moments if I take a few moments to think about them. Working as a Passenger Services Agent for a British flag carrier airline gave me all the insight to the workings of a pre-departure flight experience at that point. My third month working at Newark Liberty International Airport was character building to say the least, well the commute was an eye-opener if nothing else! Breaking from the state-line of New Jersey I got myself on a Pennsylvania bound train to experience Philadelphia for the day, I should've stayed overnight but that unknown night out will be tackled on my return! On fire, I stood triumphant as that April 2012 month had me unwavering despite the changes to my life! 

Yes, Lady Liberty had my full attention, fresh from my day out in Philadelphia I was good with staying closer to my Newark, NJ location. Boarding a Liberty Ferry across Jersey's stretch of the Hudson River unlocked the key to Ellis Island Immigration Centre and the legendary Statue of Liberty in one afternoon! I was schooled about America's immigration boom and how those dreamers were processed after their epic voyages to the supposed 'New World', it was so much more than I had previously expected. Saving the best for last it had to be the lady herself, standing on-point with her binding tablet. A gift from the French this NYC icon served nothing but truth and freedom, I was blown away by her strength as she stood poised to ward the evils away from NYC and her NJ sister! My eyes were feeling heavy, was I dreaming? Sure fire hell, I was living that moment for real! Being honest April 2012 had me living my realest USA moments with much life experienced acquired! Nothing would be impossible, I came to work! 

April 2013 saw me back in Birmingham with more than enough time to get back to University life! Birmingham had a plan for me, with a renewed sense of what life could be like with 'Desperately Seeking Adventure', I believe in that moment April 2013 had to be a month that cemented my UK blogs. Heading down to Northampton was the order of the month, reconnecting with Tom was key, we had worked together during our Industrial Placement year in Newark, NJ, USA! He had barked on about how great his Northamptonshire hometown was, the time had come to see if he was right about his glorious Northampton! Arriving into the worst looking bus station ever, something told me the category would be 'Rebuild It Realness' for the whole town? Maybe! Heading to 'Buddies' for lunch had us in an American food paradise with that burger tasting bang on the mark, were we back at McDonald's Penn Station before that evening shift? Accompanied by Paolo, we had a great weekend reuniting as the 'Newark 3!' OK!

Newark had put in a daze, being able to work and get actual money for my efforts had allowed me to enjoy life without assignments. April 2013 turned up the pressure because I was back to class and to be honest I loved being back in Birmingham but not so much when it came to the books. Getting over that extra work load from my degree commitments, I was able to appreciate Birmingham before the semester concluded. Taking a day down to Southside allowed me to narrate that Birmingham City Centre district like never before, more than just a party district for those who are more than Broad Street. I made reservations at Chung Ying because I wanted some good old Cantonese cooking in my life! Building on Broadway, I made it down to the Hippodrome Theatre several times because sitting in my room would do me more bad than good! Money was sure a student loan situation but during that 2013 time, I made it work out! Birmingham was cool but I wanted to return to Newark, I missed the USA bad! BB will return! 

Balling with that surprise bursary, I unapologetically booked my five day trip to Germany without hesitation. Most of my final assignments had been handed in at point, I wanted to break away in Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen! Those hostels made things super cheap, the trains were even cheaper and if truth be told, things were very organised indeed! Berlin had me paying attention, pushing that tiredness away I embraced that Easter moment with much gusto! Checkpoint Charlie had my attention, the Holocaust Memorial also and with Potsdamer Platz in view, I had the city where I wanted it! Getting cultured at the Berliner Dom allowed me to marvel at the Alexanderplatz TV Tower, Germany was the mood for sure! As day turned into night, those hunger pangs had me heading for my first taste of Curry Wurst! It was damn tasty! Berlin's second day allowed me to catch views of the Spree and the Bundestag with April 2014 serving the best kind of weather! Yes, I saw what was left of the Wall! Tempelhof Airport also, B! 

Taking the train from Berlin's Hbf to Hamburg's main station was a doddle, arriving into a very rainy and overcast Hamburg didn't deter me from seizing the day! Checking out the Rathaus was the mood, those onyx fixtures and fittings had my attention! Walking along the River Elbe had me snatching those classic warehouses views without any shame, I lived for that 'Hafenstadt' vibes and then some! Staying in the 'St Pauli' part of the city, my bargain hostel was located perfectly near to the U Bahn station. The Turkish food in Hamburg was top tier amazing, honestly some of the best tasting food outside of Turkey, for real! Bremen called my name, I headed further north to discover the gorgeous architecture and the delicious beer! Having a 'Frikadeller' for lunch was delicious! 'Böttcherstrasse' had my eyes wondering because that characterful alley had me in a daze! I loved Germany, the visit to Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen had me wanted to sleep for a week because I had been busy making those travelling moves! Jaa! 

April 2015 saw me navigate life under very different circumstances than those New Jersey days at the airport, I had finished University and was then working as a hotel receptionist at a Walsall hotel. To escape from that situation I made the best of my West Midlands location with two day trips away from my hometown to Leicester and Cambridge. Leicester served an Indian spice to my April day of discovery, I used that East Midlands city as a distraction because I was in the middle of hatching a master-plan to reach China, I thanked Leicester for her sanctuary. Working at that 'Village' hotel had its moment, earning my coins to get where I wanted to be was the reason I stuck at it! Hell, I was working in a job that fitted my degree but I was desperately seeking a new international adventure. Biding my time I had faith in April 2015 to lay the foundations of my then next move. Days out like I had in Leicester sure made all the difference. April 2015, I was done with you! Honestly, Leicester had me looking at another city! Let's get it! 

A second outing was just the ticket, going further south than Birmingham I trekked down to Cambridge for a lovely spring day. That upper class student city served a sense of Oxford with those famous historic school houses, it showed me how the other half get the chance to study. I had the best experience at UCB in Birmingham, I wasn't bitter by what regal buildings Cambridge offered their students whatsoever. Punting impressed me much, that scenic view wasn't just pleasing for my sight, it got me away from my daily routine. Kings College and the winding River Cam gave me a sense of something much needed at that point! My life was very much at a crossroads during that April moment in 2015! Stopping at my brothers 'Uni Dorm' the night before my early morning coach reminded of my former life in the city. Life had changed beyond belief for me since those Brum days but I had my priorities straight! It would only be a matter of time before I got that golden ticket! It found me! Getting it together, China called me? 

Amazing April: 1.0! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments