Flying High... Aeroflot Russian Airlines!

It had been two years or so since I had flown for more than three hours, embarking on my first long haul flight with Aeroflot Russian Airlines was something I had been looking forward to. Bagging an absolute bargain, I had booked this London bound flight via Moscow some nine weeks before I would leave Shanghai for home. I was ready for some Russian service! Let's go!


Believe me when I say that I would have flown from Wuhan back to England with Air France via Paris, France but I wouldn't be paying those ludicrously high prices! Absolutely, no way was that happening! No! Snatching a bargain flight with Aeroflot Russian Airlines was the winner! Making that connection at Moscow Sheremetyevo for that London Heathrow flight would have to be done, not mentioning the trip that I had to reach Shanghai from Wuhan Railway Station! Taking the High Speed Train from Wuhan to Shanghai Hongqiao with all my bags was some task, to then catch a DiDi taxi was also a drama but before I knew it I was checked in and through security at PVG airport. Let those preflight shenanigans begin! I honestly didn't know what tricks were being played that evening, the gate changed once, that wasn't an issue but then a second time till it changed a fourth time before we finally boarded the aircraft. The final boarding gate was on the lower level by the tarmac, I had a feeling it was buses for us. No! 天啊!

Two burly Aeroflot Russian pilots made their way to our third boarding gate before that was changed for a fourth time, I could tell by their appearance we would be in safe hands in the flight deck for that cruise to Moscow! Soon after the bulk of the cabin crew glided in with their suitcases and orangey/red uniforms, no smile was present because they were serving some Aeroflot attitude! I was sincerely ready to board, it had been a long day and I wasn't looking forward to my window seat, no I wanted an aisle! As if luck would have it we were bussed to our Boeing 777-300, all passengers had to board the aircraft through one door that took long enough. I had a feeling that my first Aeroflot experience would be a memorable one to say the very least. Boarded and seated in my window seat, I had already asked a member of the cabin crew if there was a spare aisle seat going, she was on the lookout for me. As our crew did their pre-flight checks I was granted my wish for an aisle seat, with thanks to Svetlana! Спасибо, SV!


After reading countless reviews about Aeroflot's in-flight service, I was extremely dubious about the quality of the food that was about to be served. I had already resided that no alcohol would be served throughout both of my Russian flights, that had me checking flights for a famous Middle Eastern airline for my return to China. I deserved that mixed drink! Regardless, we began our flight smoothly to begin with, shortly following the first service of non-alcoholic drinks had been served by our cabin crew. Generally, the in-flight entertainment was very good with a favourable amount of films that had been released within the last year. Being on a flight that was made up of mostly Chinese passengers, it was quite nice when they all felt asleep together. With that quiet cabin, would I be getting any shut eye? No, sleep didn't find me! Absolutely right, Aeroflot Russian Airlines served something worth my flight ticket. Flying ever closer towards the Russian Federation, I was impressed indeed! China, I'll be back soon! 再见! 

Settling into my film, I chose to watch 'Hidden Figures', which was a great choice! It was a real treat because I had stayed away from the cinema mostly during my time spent living in Wuhan, China. Centred around three strong African American women during the years of segregation, their heroic story of their fight to be serving the space missions managed by NASA made for a gripping watch even if I was exhausted. Dinner came around in the form of a seafood pasta that was served with potatoes, desert was a mango cheesecake and to be fair to those previous poor reviews and photos I had been served a perfectly edible meal that was quite tasty. The second meal was nice also but I was dog tired by that point so it was purely to keep my energy levels stable, the cheeky Oreo cookie bar was definitely appreciated. On an entertainment slant I even watched a little bit of a Russian children's cartoon, that was very random! Turbulence hit bad, loosing height to below 10,000 ft brought an announcement that was not for the passengers! O?


On my previous long haul flight with Sri Lankan Airlines to Shanghai, China, I took the plunge by asking the cabin crew for a little blog photo, this time around I wanted to take a backseat. The Aeroflot crew didn't seem like the type of girls to be willing to pose for photos, saying that they provided enough sass and entertainment to make up for their steely manner. Svetlana helped me from the moment that I boarded the Russia bound aircraft, she changed my seat was changed without any hassle, she knew what to do! Slay Svetlana! My section of the cabin was catered for by Svetlana and Viktoria, they ran our section with attitude and they put the Chinese passengers in their place, giving their direct responses and not wasting time during their duties. It was blatantly clear to see that the majority of the cabin crew were beautiful ladies who looked under 30 years old. Being the seasoned passenger that I am, I listened to my crew, following the rules during their working flight. Aeroflot didn't do me wrong at all! Они служили настрою! Alright?

Boarding my second flight from Moscow Sheremetyevo to London Heathrow, I noticed the purser was a young gentleman. Now, that wasn't a problem at all, it just didn't seem to fit with their ultra feminine young crew propaganda stance. OK? Anastasia was one of the crew members on the second flight, she was undeniably stunning and mustn't of been over 25 years old? I contemplated catching the other bus after seeing her beauty! Overall, the down to earth no-nonsense attitude of the Aeroflot Russian Airlines cabin crew made for two great flights from an entertainment point of view. Svetlana and Viktoria worked hard during the Shanghai to Russia sector and the male presence was a nice change during the Russia to London sector. As I've mentioned, I don't regret not asking for a photo with any of the female crew mentioned because it just didn't feel like the right thing to do. I didn't see many smiles but in place of that the crew did there jobs genuinely well without being fake. Their class attitudes were real! да! да!


Touching down into Moscow Sheremetyevo felt like an actual blessing, we had made up the slight delay from missing our departure slot in Shanghai. Scheduled to arrive into the same terminal where my international Aeroflot Russian Airlines flight stood bound for London, that wasn't to be. I still had a connection to make and that slight change of terminal wasn't going to stop me from making that LHR flight! Нет! We had taken several turns to then stop at the wrong terminal, the aircraft wasn't going to be connected to a jet-bridge, after disembarking from that overnight flight, connecting passengers were then bussed to Terminal D. People had advised me against choosing the option to pass through Russia, for me it wasn't an issue because my connection was under 24 hours. No, I didn't need a transit visa or a document to enter Russia out of the airport. Having my passport and boarding card verified seemed like a formality and the screening of baggage felt like a routine check even though the queues were crazy! Dramas, L!

Cleared through into Terminal D's air-side boarding gate area, I could then check the boards to avoid any problems because Shanghai had thrown some serious shade in that department. From the original gate 31 to gate 29, I checked the screen close to gate 29 meticulously because I was so ready to board. Attempting to get any shut eye on the second flight was my ultimate plan. Boarding time arrived, like magic the unmarked gate 29 finally displayed the details for the London flight, where I was bound for. The bulk of the passengers on that second flight must have been all Russian? I was not putting up with waiting, I'm British Citizen who was returning to the UK, alright? Descending into London Heathrow was a relief, I had made the journey! The River Thames came into view meaning my two flights were done! Aeroflot Russian Airlines had surprised me, across that mammoth journey from Shanghai to London via Moscow things had been done with service and time in mind. Would I fly with Aeroflot again? Sure, I would do RU! 

Аэрофлот, спасибо!

Joseph Harrison

Comments

  1. I started reading about the gate being changed and didn't have a good feeling about how Aeroflot would treat you but I'm pleasantly surprised🥰 I think I'd enjoy Aeroflot🤔 Overly friendly crew makes me uncomfortable sometimes😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kept me on my toes!

      Svetlana, she didn't take any shit!

      Delete

Post a Comment