Scotland: Luss, Loch Lomond & Helensburgh...

A few days in Bonnie Scotland? Och Aye Thee Yes! I booked my flight and arrived in Glasgow before you could say 'Buckfast!' With my friend Fiona, we ran for our train at Glasgow's Queen Street Station! Eventually we arrived at Helensburgh Central after going via Dunbarton! Those ticket machines! Luss and Loch Lomond were waiting for us and a bottle of Buckfast to drink! 


Helensburgh had been a place that Fiona had told me about during our time in Wuhan, China. To be very honest it sounded quite like a Bilston by the sea but that excludes Luss and Loch Lomond! After our introductions, I made myself comfortable at the Dade-McPhee household, after a lovely lasagna tea with a few pink gins for good measure it was time to rest. The next day was going to be eventful and then some more! I wanted more pink gin! Waking up uncharacteristically early for me during my post-China routine, it was a chilled morning for us before the crazy commenced. It only took a hot minute before Helensburgh turned into a distant memory, the lush green hills of the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park grew nearer. Fiona being a local and me being an out-of-town visitor, we both knew how to act as we made our way down the picture postcard streets of Luss. Those tourists were acting the fool and then some! The chocolate box holiday cottages desensitised me as modernity beckoned so near. Luss!

Chauffeur driven by Norman, Fiona's Step-Dad with Fiona's Mom, Joanne joining us. Norman got us to where we wanted to be that morning. The weather was as changeable as life was in Wuhan for myself and Fiona, those clouds brought the rain down in annoying spots. Gifts aren't usually my thing, I usually like to use photos as my only memento of a place but my Grandparents deserved a gift or two for being fantastic and then some. Wading through the groups of stationary tourists tested my patiences, but I exercised impeccable manners throughout that brief shopping period. Content with my Scottish purchases it was back to finding the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond. Luss had something special, going from the sandstone looks of Glasgow's city centre to the rolling hills of Luss gave me life for certain! I'm not usually about travelling within the United Kingdom but after spending two years in China, detoxing from the utter pandemonium of Wuhan worked out for the best! Oh, those views! Go!


The boundless beauty of Loch Lomond treated my eyes to a sight so beautiful I wasn't bothered by the thick layers of clouds and sporadic showers. My Nan would always sing the song 'The Bonnie Banks 'o' Loch Lomond' to me and to my younger cousins when we were babies, so that idyllic vista was amazing to finally see in real life. Reuniting with Joanne and Norman was a relief, myself and Fiona had briefly lost them, they had chosen to have a look at local art display whilst we were in the gift shop. I took my time to get a good photo of the fresh waters of Loch Lomond with a few boats in the background. The Loch was lively yet sedate, it seemed the unsettled weather had kept people away from the waters edge and that was completely fine with me. Had I seen a sight as beautiful as Loch Lomond before? I'd have to say the Erhai Lake in Dali, China closely matched Scotland's beautiful Loch Lomond. I paid those tourists no mind, whatsoever! Loch Lomond had me in some kind of trance? Yes, it was quite remarkable! Alright?

The Loch Lomond Arms had me thirsty for a pre pre-party drink but it was rammed with families, leaving that business behind us we drove for a little bit around passing the Gare Loch. That diversion allowed me to catch a glimpse of HMND Clyde, that was before ending up at 'The Cafe' in Kilcreggan that overlooked Kilcreggan Bay on Roseneath Road. Unknowingly, we were just over the water from Greenock Port where the majority of the cruise liners dock for the Glasgow and Loch Lomond area. Our light lunch was nice, it gave me and Fiona the permission to speak about our crazy lives in China, it was lovely to reminisce. The morning and afternoon out had been really nice, Loch Lomond and Luss had served such wonderful views! We had kept to our word, reuniting in Scotland for that all important Helensburgh moment! Going back to Fiona's after our lovely outing to Luss, Loch Lomond and Kilcreggan gave us the chance to take a disco nap before the carnage would begin later on. Everybody, let's say SCOTLAND! Aye! Get it!


With our looks on-point, it was time for us to go down to Helensburgh Town Centre to begin the night that lay ahead of us. I had promised to pre-drink a bottle of Buckfast, known as 'tramp tipple' I bravely bought a bottle of fortified wine for the win! I needed my brain checking! Getting our night started at Charlotte's flat was the key for us! We were later joined by Fiona's sister Caroline after she got herself ready for the night-out. As we sipped on our pre-drinks, I felt the Buckfast kick in, being my first night out after getting disorderly in China, I was on my best behaviour. I was not! Leaving Charlotte's place we headed for the Logie Baird, but the locals just called it 'The Logie'. The Clyde had lost its buzz, so I had already heard a lot about Helensburgh's top late night venue. Hitting the Logie just before 11pm allowed me to survey the locals, mostly from the forces it was going to be an interesting night to say the least! Getting our drink on, it was a scandalous night for all whom were invited! We got mad with it! Helensburgh was mad! 

Those 'Logie' lights had almost come up, it was time for something to eat! Chinese had to be the one and I was so excited to eat properly with chopsticks again. Back to Charlotte's, we went with our food, unbeknownst to the others I baffled them with my crafty chopstick skills! I was too hungry to notice and essentially it felt normal for me to eat without a knife and fork. Feeling rather 'not well' the next morning we took a walk down the seafront close to the town centre, it definitely took the edge of our hangovers but I needed a bottle of Iron Bru to settle that score. Dropping into Caroline's we reminisced on the previous nights antics, we honestly had a great time and there was no drama! Sunday Dinner came to the rescue, chilling for the rest of the day had to be the one, we were both very not well indeed! All in all, the two days spent in Helensburgh were lovely! Loch Lomond and Luss were beautiful and the Logie was mad! Fiona and I may be on different paths but we've both shared the same experience. See you soon, Fifi?

Get Mad With It!

Joseph Harrison 

Comments

  1. We holidayed around Loch Lomond years ago - we went to an Oasis gig there - and loved it. This has made me want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for reading this blog post!

      I also loved visiting Loch Lomond and Luss! I'm so glad this blog has inspired you to revisit such a beautiful part of Scotland (UK)

      Joseph

      Delete

Post a Comment