What's The Tea?... Chinese Visas, COVID-19 Tests & Long Haul Travel!

The road back to China has been long and paved with much uncertainty, I never lost the faith throughout the last three years! People said to me, 'Why do you even want to go back there?' Every naysayer made things feel more real for me, I knew what I wanted and I would make it happen! It's been one heck of a journey but getting back to China has been worth it, for certain! 

London, well not quite yet! Finding myself at Birmingham Moor Street Station felt downright surreal. For one I was actually shocked that train services had resumed thereafter the recent rail strikes, how I was tiring of the United Kingdom because a sinking ship it did resemble. I headed down south towards London two days before my all important visa appointment at the Chinese Visa Application Centre. Gerrards Cross would be my first port of call, I spent two lovely days at my paternal aunties house where I also reconnected with my two cousins. It was amazing to be out of the West Midlands at long last, I loved those dog walks near the common. Those fancy houses along those walks had me looking twice! Getting out of Bilston for that trip had been a long time coming, things had changed quite a lot in China since a few pivotal moments. It was 'GO' time, certain channels had been opened and those made acquiring my visa just that bit easier, the less said about that the better! Keeping the faith had to be done! Oh C, I just knew it! 

Gerrards Cross suited me fine, those boujee bakeries had me checking the price but I didn't care! Seriously, I had to pinch myself because that visa appointment neared as each hour passed by! A change of scenery was just the tonic, I had been waiting for that trip for a long time. The morning had arrived, I woke with so much anxiety ahead of my Chinese visa appointment in London. Saying goodbye to my aunty, cousins and Molly dog was fine because I had pledged to see them all again a lot sooner than I had last left the gap. The train station in Gerrards Cross was no-joke, sure it was bound to be on that London commuter route because those suits tested my patients. The train service only served three carriages, I longed for a China High Speed train on the double because Chiltern Railways wasn't the mood! Packed on like a sardine, I managed to get a seat on that westbound London Underground train from West Ruislip. Yes, I had never before counted the time taken between two stations before, I was panicking like never before! 

Would I need to put back on a face mask? I couldn't even remember the last time when I had put on a face mask, I wasn't looking forward to it! Anyhow, I didn't need anything to add to my already sky high level of anxiety! As I walked into the Chinese Visa Application Centre along Old Jewry, I was able to take that face mask off as soon it had been put on! I had all of my paperwork in hand, I was marshaled into a long line by the security guard. The first step was fine, the visa application centre worker checked my application form and took some photos as I tried to hide my irrational nerves. My future relied on that all important interview, I had waited since April 2020 for a break, for some good news! I was given a paper slip with a reference number on it, I waited for what felt like an eternity but that was just the nerves. So far so good, all of the important papers had been scanned, including the application form. Things weren't like 2015 or even in 2017, that visa application form was no joke! I kept the faith, nothing would change that!

Called to the window, I literally felt my heart pounding in my chest, I needed to keep my senses together! My flight had been booked, usually that wasn't a requirement for the visa type I had applied but I needed to be in the country before my start date. Pushing through all of the required documents, I almost had a panic attack when the lady said that I had to collect my passport on the following Monday! I had already pre-booked my COVID-19 test, I was prepared to through every last penny to speed up that visa processing period! I wasn't playing! The lady took my flight details, she reassured me that I could push through the application with an 'Express' fee paid in full. With thanks, I ran downstairs to pay for my 'Express' application! Only then could I breathe a sigh of relief, my stressed state had not been worth it but having my application and visa approved, money didn't matter during that moment! I was able to carry on with my London plans to their fullest! On the other side of the borderline, I can now look back! 

Returning from London had me feeling like this upcoming China return was truly happening for real, like for real, real! Getting those last sleepovers and family meetings bossed, then it was time for my Birmingham based 'PCR Test!' China had so far relaxed their super cautious entry rules, flights were scarce and tests of a 'COVID' kind were strictly required! Being located in the West Midlands yet again did me no favours, no test centres were open on Sundays, I had found a flight with Air China to Ningbo via Beijing Capital but it wasn't possible. Randox came through for me but only once the working week had resumed, I was totally over that West Midlands foolery! I wanted out of that half-rate county situation, over it I was! Negative the test turned out to be, it was time for me to board my London Heathrow Airport bound coach. Goodbyes are never easy, a lot has happened since I found myself back in the UK. Life ain't the one sometimes, keeping it moving, I said farewell! Time for one last 'Spoons' breakfast? Oh, I do think! No more tests, C! 

Never had I ever pulled a heavier suitcase! I seriously questioned what on earth had been forced into that bag, I dreaded check-in the following day! Bedding down for the night at the Premier Inn next to Terminal 4 was easier said than done! The day for me to return to China had almost arrived, was life even real? I managed to get a few hours sleep, I was feeling all of the feels and checking my document folder thrice! I fretted over my 'China Health Code' because that measure had not yet ceased, I asked one of my pilot friends from Beijing about that mandatory WeChat program. Waking up at some un-godly hour wasn't the one but I was more than ready to return to China's Mainland after what had been three years of waiting during the Pandemic! I would stay at LHR's T4 Premier Inn in the future because of that super convenient pairing with the terminal. Checked out and on my way, I had no idea what foolishness would be in my forward path! Excited wasn't the emotion, I had major nerves about the whole situation, I had to embrace it all! It was what it was, I needed to navigate my way through those formalities. Yes!!!

Check-in for my Cathay Pacific Airways flights from London to Shanghai Pudong via Hong Kong was quite easy when I think about things rationally. I was rightly anxious about flying long haul during China's reopening. My flights had set me back a small fortune, quite literally I had never spent so much money on two flights before in my life! I was not allowed to check-in until my test results and health code had both been checked, that was truly a bizarre experience but with the Mainland my final destination, that had to be! My overweight bag charges weren't the one but that payment was made without hesitation, I actually laugh when I think about the state I had put myself in as I rearranged my cabin bags! I wasn't thinking straight but I'll cut myself some slack because that was a highly stressful situation for many reasons. Clearing security felt like a blessing, I had about ninety minutes before my Hong Kong bound flight would be called. Mask wearing on flights to Hong Kong stood as law, I had no choice but to put my N95 mask on! Fly!

Boarding had me wearing that mask still. even though it was mandatory I did see some people mask-free. To be honest, I didn't want to wear the mask that I had on my face but keeping those rules unbroken, I chose not to protest. My flight over to Hong Kong from London was smooth, twelve hours long it did take, I relaxed and enjoyed the in-flight entertainment. Knowing that my temperature would need to be normal, I stayed away from that extra glass of red wine because I had already had a sit down with my moral compass! Transferring through Hong Kong was an actual breeze, I had see some people who weren't wearing masks. The border force guards checked my health code, the female officer directed me to refresh my code through my WeChat APP. Landing into Shanghai Pudong felt down right down berserk, I had finally made it back to China and that felt amazing! With my health code scanned and my passport stamped, walking through China Customs had me feeling accomplished! Correct that arrival did feel! Let's get it! 

I'm Back, Back, Back Again! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments