Sunday Service... Ningbo, China: Exploring DemoHood!

What had become of me? With the three month mark crossed off my imaginary calendar, I could no longer hide in my apartment as April made an appearance! Not on my watch, I needed to get out and start living my life! Choosing that Sunday to change things, a service of sorts was attended because it was time! DemoHood would be the one for me, the weather was ace! Get it! 

Sure, even though I had volunteered myself for another 'Marketing Event' on another Sunday, I wanted to make the best of that seventh day! I thereby pledged that I would no longer sit in my room on a Sunday, well unless the hangover pained me! Feeling fresh that Sunday allowed me to leave that school event, get changed and be on the road with the quickness! Located not far from my '松江中路' residence, getting from my '丞睿大厦' building to 'DemoHood' didn't take me long! Of course, I had done my research because I clocked the white-washed buildings instantly. The weather was glorious, I had most certainly picked the right Sunday to have a mooch around that multi-purpose lifestyle venue. I wanted a cocktail but didn't know where to turn to, I noticed that 'Vert' looked rather boujee! Boujee wasn't my mood, I wanted something quick, easy and for certain a nice view! Standing in front of the DemoHood sign on that sunny Sunday felt correct, breaking another habit I did! 'Sunday Service' was back in business! Yes, I said so! 

With the name 'DemoHood', something screamed to me that the sight might have been a former factory? Earmarked for demo in the neighbourhood? You see where I am going with this? You do! My colleague Barry had mentioned this place many times and said that I would approve of it, he wasn't wrong! It was great to people watch, the weather had brought people from all age groups out to play! I had found a barbershop on a lifestyle APP called '点评',  pricey it most certainly looked. That Sunday was all about trying new things and visiting new places, I had money to burn and for the first time in under three months, I felt like doing something! Judging by the amount of restaurants and shops, during those first glances I knew that DemoHood wouldn't be seeing the last of me! Let's just say everything fell into place, I had no complaints about that Sunday Service at all! Ningbo has had me in a work/home mood, I knew that I needed to break that chain and I did! Haircut then a drink? I didn't mind! Oh, it was a Sunday! 

'Sausage Party? Apparently there would be nobody to cut my hair until three in the afternoon, with about ninety minutes to kill I decided to get something to eat. Choosing one of the outlets on the third floor, that block overlooked the main DemoHood courtyard. This coffee-shop/bar had my attention because I wanted a little drink to soak up all of that sun, the weather was far too nice for just a soft drink! The lady behind the counter said for some reason it wouldn't be possible for her to make me a 'Long Island Iced Tea'. Why? Her reason baffled me! Not wanting to turn the milk sour, I ordered a can of Guinness because I just had a thirst that needed quenching! My can of Guinness tasted great, nothing interfered with the taste of that Irish stout drink. Sure, I was hungry but the snack menu didn't really hit the spot until the lady recommended I chose the 'Sausage Party!' I trusted her, low key I wanted that mixed drink, I kept the faith. I was caught up with the view, it was great to people watch from that level. Defo! 

My 'Sausage Party' arrived, if truth be told that meaty snack impressed me much because there's nothing more delicious than three different sausages on the same plate! Was the lady making my mixed drink? She was indeed! From out of nowhere the lady bought over my previously requested Long Island Iced Tea, I ran over to thank her as I motioned to pay with my mobile payment APP. A handsome guy was drinking his iced coffee at one of the inside tables, he gingerly moved himself to a table opposite me outside. After a few seconds, those nervous glances turned into a rather interesting conversion. Brandishing his camera, he offered to take my photo! 'Draw me like one of your French girls', well that's what I was thinking in my head during that moment! A tiramisu for me? From out of nowhere, the same lady ran over with a tiramisu pot for me! She simply told me in Chinese that it was delicious and that was it! The guy told me his name, 'Avery' later sent me the photo he had snapped of me! My haircut beckoned! 

I was in desperate need of a haircut, with that barbershop clocked I had already previously tried to get my hair sorted but they told me I would need to come back at 3 P.M. Returning around that time like they had told me, I was greeted by the manager and directed to a chair. Having that session of self-care felt amazing, having my haircut was just the tip of the iceberg, I opted for a shave as well. Having more than just change in my pocket these days, well that allowed me to not worry about the price of my haircut and shave. To be honest, I was paying for the environment and I wasn't mad about that at all! Relaxing back into that barbershop chair allowed me to fully relax, during that period of self-care I received a message from the Chinese leader at my kindergarten but it wasn't bad. I had been selected by a local news outlet to make a speech in Chinese about the approaching Asian Games that would be happening in Hangzhou. I recited that Chinese speech whilst my hairstyle was being switched up, such extremes! Oh, life! 

Melting into that barbershop chair felt amazing, I was feeling fresh and even the new week ahead didn't panic me! Paying for my haircut and shave with my WeChatPay APP felt normal, we don't need to spend cash money because it's all about e-currency here in China! Anyway, I felt refreshed with a new look to boot, nobody was going to be able to tell me anything different! I might alternate visits to this barbershop because as nice it was to spend those extra Yuan coins on a trendy setting, I'll be shopping around for other places to keep things fresh. Being a Sunday afternoon with the evening approaching fast, having another mixed drink wasn't a good idea. Leaving DemoHood behind me felt bittersweet, I had loved my afternoon but because I was just getting into the swing of things it did get me thinking about my next visit. Sure, that Sunday Service refreshed my 'stay at home' mood and within time I will return to DemoHood but probably on a Saturday for breakfast, maybe? No, I won't be staying at home anymore, Ningbo!

A Sunday Served! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments