Double Trouble... Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur & Penang!

Malaysia served 'Double Trouble' even though one destination was strictly sober, 'Kuala Lumpur knew that was a choice! 'Penang' showed me a multi-cultural nature with Christmas happening at the same time! From 'Batu Caves' near the city, then 'Ferringhi Beach' on the island, Malaysia kept things moving! December 2024 seems like a really long time ago, really though, Malaysia? 

Staying near Central Market in Kuala Lumpur, I took the train from Kuala Lumpur Railway Station. This transportation mode took forty minutes up to Batu Caves, no changes I needed to make and the walk from the station to the golden 'Hindu God' statue was short. I was not going to scale the 272 rainbow inspired steps to the caves, I felt content with the view from the bottom. Using my time wisely, I checked out the Hindu temples that lay at the bottom of the steps, they were colourful and captivating. I was feeling hungry, taking one of my first Grab taxis of the holiday down to 'Brickfields' (Little India) was a done deal! I chowed down on some seriously delicious assortment of spicy curries and roti, I needed a cup of piping hot masala chai to match the spicy of the food! My second morning in Kuala Lumpur was a done and dusted, although I still wanted to see more! The heat of the day saw me seeking refuge in a lush setting! KL was an easy city to navigate once I had become familiar with the transit system. Connected were they?

The heat of the day wasn't a joke, I was in much need of a cooler setting! After traversing the underbelly of KL Sentral, I was able to find 'Perdana Botanical Gardens' with ease. Another free attraction kept me moving without spending a lot of money, they was music to my ears! I loved the peacefulness of those gardens, hiding in the shadows of the CBD, that former British Colonial stamp added something regal. Oh, the 'Oasis Garden' was the one for me! The lush trees created a shadowy haven away from that warm December heat. 'The National Museum of Malaysia' was about to school me on that well-known former part the country, Singapore! The Portuguese and Dutch had arrived before the British? I was about to learn much more! Yes, both the Portuguese and Dutch forces had done the most and Malaysia deserved her independence from the British lastly in 1957! Singapore left the group chat in 1965 to create their own 'City-State' situation. My second day in KL had almost concluded, I had one more gem in-store! Oh! 

My time in Kuala Lumpur was almost over, I needed to make the most of the final evening with a visit to those famous 'Petronas Twin Towers'. Taking the transit system from 'The National Museum of Malaysia' to 'Suria KLCC', the heavens did then decide to open and by god they did! Please don't ask me how I found myself in KLCC because I cannot remember those transit lines, it certainly wasn't Singapore! No shade, babes! Entering the lower levels of the twin towers, I headed for 'Chili's' because I needed some western food and a possible pint of something alcoholic! KL had thus far kept me on the straight and narrow because I found no alcohol within the capital, it wasn't a bad thing for me! That KL based American franchise impressed me much, I felt as if I was in Shanghai with that internationalism. 'Marks & Spencer' allowed me to find some delectable 'Percy Pigs!' That piece of the UK was much appreciated, it was a lovely addition! I clocked Christmas decorations, finding out December 25th is a public holiday! Yes!

The 'Saloma Bridge' didn't boast the colours of the Malaysian flag but it looked pretty nevertheless. I clocked a few local and less fancy places for food and a drink on the street, I appreciated those sights because those glowing towers were looking down in the most imposing way. I bagged another 'COVID Travel Dream' in 'Post-Pandemic' realtime, I wasn't mad! I soaked in the moment, the twin towers shone brighter, shimmering like a pair of queens in the night, the irony! Those 'Petronas Twin Towers' held the key to one of my KL wishes, I wanted to clock them badly! Going up to the top was out of the question but I loved the view on the ground. 'Bukit Bintang' was my final part of the evening, I had an insanely early flight the next day, I needed to keep it brief! I tried to find a certain venue but it wasn't that kind of night, I was feeling like the strict ways had me staying away from KL's nightlife. The day had been long, those lights had been bright but I needed to prepare for Sandakan. KL knew what to show me. 

'Penang' was where I spent the Christmas period, landing from 'Kota Kinabalu' on 'Christmas Day' rid of the previous days hangover, I was ready to get merry again! Like 'KK', Penang didn't have a large Islamic presence, views on surrounding alcohol were relaxed. 'Chulia Street' was my hangout with 'The Frame Guesthouse' serving up a modern feeling in a former Georgetown shophouse. Let me just say it was about the 'drink' on the first day, I drank all of the juice! 'Fort Cornwalis', the 'Esplanade' and those 'Administrative' buildings were giving British Colonial Realness! Hungover but I kept on exploring in those humid December temperatures. A rich blend of Chinese, British and Tamil/Indian influences were all around, through those Georgetown streets I was culturally spoiled for choice! Malaysia was the best place to spend Christmas in, the warmer climbs of Penang island were off the chain! The 'Chew Clan Jetty' took me along a series of twists and turns before giving me everything Hokkien! By hook or crook, P! 

'Little India' showed up and showed out! I was served a divine plate of 'Nasi Tandir' with a side of naan bread and masala chai. The restaurant was down to earth and the waiting staff forgot my order, I got what I needed in the end! I clocked a Hindu temple from the outside, 'Sri Mahamariamman Temple' gave me even more colours. Penang's Little India gave me a real sense of culture, Georgetown gave me everything that I had wished for. Feeling like a little dessert was in order, I went for a super cool serving of Kulfi. Of course, the drink was the main motivation in Penang because I had been practically sober through the first parts of my trip. A good nights sleep was guaranteed after doing the most during that first 48 hours, I needed to dry out or convert to an alcoholic hating religion! The first 48 hours in Penang were hectic, so much so I had neglected any plan for the third and final day! I needed to get my life together because plans had been made to meet a friend I had first met during my Beijing days. It was quite hectic! 

'Penang Hill' or nah? No! I made my way to the foot of Penang Hill with every delusional bone in my body fully activated, I somehow managed to get a ticket for something and join the first line. Referencing to the original '50 Shades: Penang, Malaysia' post, I was told that I would need to wait three hours to reach the top of the peak! I was not happy with such a wait time on my final day, it was quite ludicrous really! I consulted my maps and internet for something island-like because I needed to relax. I found 'Ferringhi Beach', getting a Grab taxi wasn't expensive. I found a small bar with a beer in the fridge for me, I knew that no boozy plans would be solidified but I needed to take the edge off the morning. Real talk, it was lovely to see the ocean blue, I had been able to see the ocean in Sandakan and visit the beach in Kota Kinabalu. Penang's beach scene was humble, I found some Chinese food for my lunch before heading back to George Town. A rest was in order before meeting my friend, Wilson. Oh, Penang came through for me! 

The final evening in Penang was bittersweet because I had basically finished my Malaysian Christmas adventure but I was looking forward to meeting Wilson. We had met in Beijing and enjoyed a lovely night together, life took him back to Malaysia and less than a year after our 2019 meeting, the Pandemic decided my location. We met first for noodles, those satay noodles were gorgeous and conversation flowed, it had been a few years since our last meeting, our lives were in different places. We moved closer towards my hostel, we enjoyed a little drink and some sweet treats at a lovely establishment near the British style fire station. Reuniting with Wilson was lovely, it's always gorgeous to have friends around the world, there's always a meeting to enjoy! Departing the following day from George Town Airport, I felt sad but knew that my February visit to the Philippines was just around the corner! Malaysia had been amazing, more recently it has also been nice to remember one of my KL days and a snapshot of Penang sector! 

Malaysia Or Bust! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments