2011: My Walt Disney ICP Summer... Orlando, FL, USA!

Orlando, Florida became my home for three months last year. I had the amazing opportunity being a Cast Member at the Walt Disney World Resort. Future World North merchandise at Epcot enabled me to work with some amazing people, they all made my experience unforgettable. Disney life pasted me by so quickly during the summer of 2011, it was everything!

From the moment I smiled through my interview at University the whole experience seemed very surreal. I had secured the job, honestly I couldn't believe that I would be making the journey back to Orlando, Florida to work at the Walt Disney World Resort. For the first time visiting America I wasn't going to be a tourist, so I had to make an appointment at the American Embassy in London for my visa interview. With a new sense of confidence I went down to London independently I secured my J-1 visa. I had already been very fortunate enough to experience the theme parks of The Walt Disney World Resort before on more than one occasion but working rather than being on vacation proved to be very different! I was very excited for the experience, it did feel daunting because I had never worked overseas before that 2011 point! I didn't know it but it was going to be the summertime of my life, without question! I was ready for my Walt Disney International College Program! Received Pronunciation? I don't know her! 

I still can't believe that I worked at Walt Disney World Resort, cliche as it sounds I was living a dream. I was and loved it all! Working for the 'Mouse' nearly every night and day has led to been a very useful decision for future projects, lets just say other components of the experience are helping me now on my Virgin Atlantic Airways Placement. Chatham Square became my place of refuge when I could not find the willpower to smile anymore or wish a guest a magical day. Living at the Chatham Square Apartments was a truly great experience, well there were times when it drove me crazy. I was lucky enough to have a great flatmate, Chris worked in entertainment and had the coolest job in my eyes! Chris happened to be a Goofy character performer and allowed me to see some secret areas at Magic Kingdom that opened my eyes to the life behind the closed doors at Disney. Communal living wasn't a mood, I am now seeing that my next overseas venture forbids roommates, I'm done with people not taking accountability! 

Absolutely, I did make some great friends during my time working in Orlando but to tell you the truth I had just as much fun without them! My employee card would allow me free entry to the main Disney Parks, naturally I swerved the parks on July 4th because Magic Kingdom had to shutdown for a while. Anyway, that secret pass allowed me to spend some glorious days off at Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT and Hollywood Studios! It was the only job where going to your workplace on your day off was acceptable because those parks deserved to be given the time and respect duly required. Being an adult, I was not going to miss meeting those characters or 'friends with' even thought those childhood days are done. I had so much fun getting their autographs and my photo taken with them. There was a special connect with some 'friends with' when they figured out that I wasn't a tourist, that I was a Cast Member. I had the time to take my time, each day off could be spent 'playing' in the parks, it was amazing! Magic! 

Captured above are the 'friends with' Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen from Disney's Princess & The Frog. I took my pleasure to meet each of the Disney Princesses with their Disney Princes close by on many occasions, the perfect photo opportunity would always be had! To see those little girls who finally saw a Princess from the Disney franchise, that love was so easily felt within the air at the 'Character Spot' locations where Tiana would be usually joined by Naveen on my most occasions. I had the immense opportunity to take those childhood trips to the Disney Parks and embellish on them without the need to rush, those eleven weeks in Orlando, they allowed me to take it slow. On my departure, I went to EPCOT's Future World North the day before my flight home to England, I had to buy my own Princess Tiana doll! Not being told something was too girly for me to buy, I was in control of that purpose because I allowed myself to be completely authentic! Would I do it all again? No, but I would certainly revisit the Disney Parks! 

Maintaining a work/life balance I managed to make the most of my days off and some of the late nights after my scheduled evening shifts. From lovely nights at the Polynesian Resort within Disney World Resort with my UK friends who all lived in Chatham Square, some were university classmates who were also working on the same college program. Those evenings in the parks were great because we didn't spend much money. I really enjoyed those low key evenings that were spent gorging on ice cream at the 'Kitchen Sink' ice cream parlour at the Beaches and Cream Soda Shop, the peanut butter ice cream was to die for! Downtown Disney was also a nice place to spend a quiet evening because I wasn't quite 21 years old at that point. The day down to Miami was amazing, it ended up being such a long day but we soaked up the vibes of South Beach! Miami had me feeling like I was out of the country, those Spanish tones had me excited! I would love to return, Miami is definitely on my USA travel list for the future! Take me back, M! 

Leaving the Mickey Mouse appropriate night outs I regrouped with Zach and Alexis, we snuck out after hours to turn up the music at Pulse! It was Latin night at that Orlando Gay club, I had never experienced a night out before without consuming anything alcoholic! Remembering everything from that night with a clear head we moved onto 'Denny's' for some 'Eggs Over My Hammy!' That was what Zach had to eat! I honestly had the best time, sure I made up with my food because I wasn't able to get drunk! Golden Corral, now that was something else! No mistakes made, I didn't miss any meals! That serving of Puertorriqueño fire had me feeling fantastic! It was like Mickey's 'University Of Life' because I was being schooled everyday, those life lessons were magical and scandalous at the same time. Those magical moments prepared me for the next assignment, this American life has me thriving! Puerto Rico has not seen the last of me, life truly wouldn't be the same and I was fine about that! The mouse makes no mistakes, B! 

Working at Future World North was a complete pleasure, on the whole it was crazy to say that I worked at the 'Happiest Place In The World'. From cleaning strollers, selling gifts or making a magical moment at either Gateway Gifts or Camera Center, those tasks were completed with a smile, always wishing the guest 'A Magical Day!' Believe me, I did have some days when I didn't want to smile but the magic of the Walt Disney World Parks grew infectious, I had to get over my sullen mood right away! I must admit that it was my co-workers that made it so special. There was so many people like Ritika, Janice, Alexis and of course the fabulous Zach Airstarr, just a few of the long list that made working at Epcot that lot more special. I'll keep in contact with you guys! I promise! As mentioned before, I loved playing at EPCOT on my days off, I knew where the secret doors were located! Of course, it was always great to talk with my colleagues who were busy at work. It was such an experience! See you soon, I don't ever say goodbye! I love you all! 

It was definitely a case of 'International Love' within my department at EPCOT! Real Talk, I'm still sure that the whole of Central and South America were working with me! I say that with love! I had the best co-workers from places like Puerto Rico, Honduras, Dominican Republic and the good old United States of America! Mexico, Ecuador and even Turkey, yes I had colleagues from around the world! Who knew that my dear sister friend Fiorella Sanchez once worked as a 'Disney Intern' on her International College Program! I had been on holiday to Spain a few times before my working summer at WDW, during the summer of 2011 I learned a whole new tone of Spanish. From the Puerto Rican tones, the Dominican Republican quirks blended with the Honduran variations of that Spanish language. I definitely took those different strands of Spanish with me to Newark! I adored my time at FWN EPCOT, I didn't want to leave but University had me boarding my Delta Air Lines flight to England! ¡Me encantó todo! ¡Sí! Sí! Sí!

Don't be Strangers! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

  1. Sounds like it was a really magical experience and I'm glad you were able to experience Pulse🤗💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From experiencing the Parks as a child and teen it was a whole different ball game to work there as an adult. The mouse had us covered, playing tricks away form works it was always an international affair! 4 Loko was by our under 21's so we got our drinks one way or another! Pulse was such an amazing night with Denny's drunk food done very sober. Those friends are golden and the moments won't ever leave me. Good old Disney!

      Delete

Post a Comment