Beside The Sea... Point Pleasant, NJ, USA!

South Beach in Miami or Venice Beach in Los Angeles? Which one would you choose to visit? Well, I didn't choose any of the above because of the obvious geographical issues. So, I chose Point Pleasant Beach on New Jersey's famous Jersey Shore. I am very pleased to say this beach enabled me to have a very relaxing sun-drenched afternoon, one which I desperately needed!

Work has been hectic to say the least! So, with my precious two days off around the corner, I decided to make the most of the sensational Jersey sunshine by going to the beach. New Jersey has recently been blessed with some great weather. Throwing caution to the wind, this morning I jumped on the 10:02 NJ Transit train bound for Point Pleasant Beach Station via Long Branch. I almost forgot to take the essentials with me to the beach like sunscreen, so I dashed to Walgreens on the way to my local transport hub, Newark Penn Station. Sunscreen? Yes, my words are turning American! In my opinion my notebook, pen and camera seemed to be the most important things for me to pack, you could say I'm turning into a dedicated blogger in my spare time? Yes, I take pride in what I do and that feels amazing because it's something I can manage. Anyway, with my provisions purchased I boarded my 'Jersey Shore' bound train. Getting into Nicki Minaj's latest album, you know that I needed the beach, beach! Get me there!

Green fields and white-picket fenced houses passed by before my eyes, I appreciated that changing scenery because the Brick City nerve of Newark can feel concrete! I'm such a hypocrite because when I arrive back in Newark I always feel a sense of belonging, sure it's my home for now! The kitsch neighbourhood of Point Pleasant pleased me as it radiated a sense of seaside cuteness, please I make myself nauseous with my own way of describing things. Back to the script, I missed the earlier train from Newark, so my plans were somewhat behind than what I previously estimated. I now see a bit of dis-organisation actually pays off as by 12 noon the weather on the Boardwalk was a staggering 36 degrees, a temperature which I would not complain about when at the beach. Taking my time was the bonus, the train didn't have many people on it, so the journey was street free! I didn't have to walk far at all to find the beach and boardwalk from the train station. That prime location had me hopping over the tracks, quick! 

Taking my place on the quieter side of the beach, a point that was more than pleasant due to the scorching sun beaming down on the golden sand. Not feeling bitter, I paid $8.00 to spend three hours at the beach! I understood why I had to pay that fee because Jenkinson's section of the beach looked as if it had been freshly raked and cleaned. The water felt quite nice, but swimming was not on my agenda. Prepared with my factor 4 Hawaii'an Tropic sunscreen, I cooked myself until it was time to cool off in the blue Jersey waters. Relaxing to the maximum the stresses of the last week were drifting away from my mind, I have a feeling next week might have to be another beach day to tan and chill-out. Coney Island anyone? I tried to imagine if the beaches in Puerto Rico match the beaches in New Jersey, as my vacation is only two months away. No offence Point Pleasant but I imagine Flamenco Beach makes Point Pleasant look totally different. I'm ready for it all! For certain, that day 'Beside The Sea' had me feeling relaxed! Yes! 

This time last year, I took my day trip to Miami, Florida. Me and my Disney friends all had a great day away from our internship in Orlando. We swam in the crystal clear ocean blue, taking in the likes of South Beach. Truthfully, turning our day trip into an overnight visit woul have been a complete mood! Let's not dwell on what didn't happen, or what we didn't do because by all accounts my day at Point Pleasant Beach was amazing! I'm not a big fan of beaches because of the sand, it can be so irritating to get it mixed with sea water but from time to time it's only right to get all sand between my toes. Sure, I always get salty so there's nothing new there! No, I didn't go to the Tiki Bar because my day at the beach was all about relaxing on a budget, alcohol hasn't been part of my weekend routine during my Placement in Newark. No! I vaguely knew a bit about the MTV reality show 'Jersey Shore' but it was enough to know what beaches the seasons had featured, I had to see them for myself. Keeping away from the booze enabled me to be fresh. 

Point Pleasant Beach happened to be managed by a private company, officially known as Jenkinson's. Processing that fact, I understood why I had paid to use the beach. Jenkinson's company owns the boardwalk, which included the beach and amenities such as the Tiki Bar and restaurants. In that moment, I did wonder whether I would have to pay at Coney Island to use the same sort of facilities? The fairground stood part of the business, I noticed a lot of children enjoying the rides that made up the fairground rides. Everything looked really clean considering the beach, boardwalk and fairground. All of those family friendly services were really busy during that summer's day. I still don't agree with having to pay to use the beach but the convenience of the location from the station and the access from Newark cancelled that gripe. I don't think I have ever been to a beach where I could seamlessly get on a train from the next city! Come to think of it, my day at Point Pleasant Beach was probably my first ever NJ beach day!

As my beach experience drew to a close I enjoyed a little walk along the boardwalk, knowing an ice cream was needed to make the hot temperatures feel more bearable. I have to say the main feeling of the boardwalk had the feel of a British seaside town with it's own 'over the top' quirks, each to their own I thought to myself? Ultimately, the deciding factor was the strawberry ice cream I enjoyed from Kohr's Ice Cream stand, that was a choice made well! The sights and the people that made their way down the boardwalk gave it the character and individual seaside charm that made all of the components worked perfectly. Point Pleasant Beach was a great beach to visit, having something for all of the family and an independent traveller like myself I left the beach feeling very relaxed! Certainly feeling ready to face another day at work. Would I visit Point Pleasant Beach again? That's a really good question because I probably wouldn't due to NJ and NY having a lot of other beaches. New Jersey, I need to get out more! USA, I do think! 

The Jersey Shore!

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments