Summer Camp 2025: Coaches, Legoland & Windsor... Part 6!
I had no idea about the day! I felt like I had no energy left but knew that our two full days itineraries required my best and a lot of my attention! Windsor was our first destination and thankfully only one for the day! No morning class was needed, we had in theory experienced the final morning of Summer Camp the previous day. After thirty years, it felt very weird to return!
A minibus had been arranged for those 'out of town' destinations. Paid for the next two days. it was great to know we wouldn't need to traverse between places on local public transport out of London. Two days had been planned out of London from St. Joseph's Foundation UK, the first to Windsor and then the second to Oxford via Bicester. Both drivers were approachable and straight up when it came to timings, I had their numbers and we kept to the plan. I knew that getting us from the pick up back to the drop off was my main aim, the attractions in the middle would be par for the course. I remember during the planning stages, Windsor had been straightforward to organise with timings on the road not taking all morning, the traffic was kind to use. In the original plan, an idea was proposed to me but in real-time the universe stepped in. Legoland Windsor was feasible and was located not far from the castle and town centre. The drive was smooth, the roads were clear and my anxiety had taken a day off! Come on, Windsor!
The families were pleasantly surprised to have a bus at long last, I think by that point they were glad it wasn't a Tube train at that point in the trip. Parents and children alike were able to take naps in the comfort of the minibus, to be honest it was rather comfortable and we didn't need to share it with anybody else. I had already got the arrival on my mind because our first destination of the day grew closer, I wasn't mad. The driver on the first day was great, he sensed that I was hot on timings and pick up locations because the buck stopped at me! We hadn't planned to visit castle in the afternoon on a tour, Windsor town would be enough for our group to enjoy before the trip to London. Legoland Windsor didn't need to tell me what to do! I was about to earn my stripes and face some childhood demons, yes that children's theme park held a monumental moment from when I was five years old! WhatsApp numbers exchanged, we agreed our meeting time and I clocked the coach pick up location! We were set for a morning of fun at Legoland, W!
I was a beast with those paper admission tickets, two of the children in the party qualified for free entry with an adult present. Believe me, I had measured those kids from head to toe before we left Ningbo, China! It was a free and easy morning, the three families went in separate directions, that was no problem for me. I stuck with the family that I knew the most, their son had been in my class for the last year. We headed to one child-friendly rollercoaster and if truth be told, it was lovely to talk with the boys parents because they had several connections to England. Myself, my student and his dad all went on the rollercoaster, his mom decided she didn't want to brave the ride in the end. The morning was 'free and easy', we had agreed a time before dispersing. Did it feel strange for me to be back at Legoland, Windsor after such a chaotic childhood visit? Yes, I had visited with my mom and biological dad and let me say he showed himself up! They talk about kids not behaving in public, he needed to simmer down! Girl, bye!
I checked in on the second and third families, all was good and they were also busy checking out all the different exhibits. With the same family, I went 'Around The World' to see a 'Forbidden City' Lego model. I especially loved the United Kingdom exhibit as I was able to detail the cultural references to my students mom, she loves everything quintessential! The morning was pressing on and no issues had prevailed. I checked in on the other two families, our agreed time of departure worked for them, one of the younger boys was napping in his pushchair. It was lovely to see the kids fully immerse themselves into another Legoland location as they had all been to Legoland, Shanghai. An obligatory visit to the gift shop made their day, I stayed with my students family as we met a the agreed coffee shop stop. Of course, we had the all important group photo in front of the entrance sign. Legoland had been a success, on that note we headed towards Windsor town and I never wanted to ever see that theme park again! Pub? Let's go, W!
Windsor Town Centre was all of ten minutes away by road, that transition was like a dream! I had not booked anything for this part of the trip because I thought it would be better for the kids to have some free-play because it was damn hot! We excited the coach and agreed that we would reconvene at the agreed time, off we went! Then I felt like a tour guide with my previous schools flag fluttering in the air! Windsor was thriving and packed, those tourists had a chokehold on that castle famous town. I decided that we were going to walk up High Street, taking a right on Castle Hill to take in those royal views! I wanted to see Frogmore Cottage but we had to keep on moving! Church Street gave the families picture postcard views, it was very British! I decided that the kids needed to stretch their legs and the families would appreciate a rest on the grass, we headed towards the The Long Walk. I did my best to cram in those culture bites with time not particularly on our side, I didn't want us to arrive back late because another two days faced us.
The castle looked formidable, if I had the budget I would've absolutely booked tickets for us to have a tour. For me, I wanted to keep things manageable during that afternoon portion. We had less than two hours in Windsor and to be quite frank that was enough time for the families to get a feel for the place. I remember seeing footage from the castle at the beginning of 2020, the late Queen Elizabeth II had recorded a televised message about reinforcing the importance of Lockdown. It felt mad to be standing in front of that castle with all of that craziness going on! One of my moms had heard about there being a Marks & Spencer located in the town, I had told her about a certain pig related snack, Percy Pigs they were! Pub? I was spitting feathers and quite frankly that single can of craft beer from The Green Park wasn't enough for me! Yes, to the Long Walk we headed towards. I was just trying to keep one foot in front of the other, the week was taking its toll on me, I had to keep on with the same energy. Pint? I wouldn't say no to one!
The kids were having a blast along The Long Walk under a shaded area on the grass, I had already clocked a pub we had passed on the way. I asked politely if I could slip off for a pint or two because deep down I knew I deserved a break. The parents from my class practically shooed me away because they agreed I needed some kind of space from the day to breathe. I enjoyed those two pints of cider at The Two Brewers if they were my last on this earth! They tasted like heaven and you know I savoured every drop of golden nectar! The kids were fine, playing with their Legoland bought toys, they really enjoyed the time at that park-like area. It was almost time for us to head back to the pick-up/drop-off point. The day had low key been a success, I knew that within my scope and capability I had done everything the right way with safety and comfort in mind. Meeting the coach at the right time, we headed back towards London. I wished that we had more time in Windsor but as mentioned the plan would pack a punch the next day.
Legoland as an adult had healed those wounds from that childhood visit, the laughs I shared with my students family started to solidify a building friendship. I was low key not mad, not having had that three hour class meant more time could be had outside away from the school. I had faced my fears, I had planned days out for myself one hundred times before but usually it's just me. The pace of the day wasn't frantic, we had to factor in two hours on the road, one hour from the school and another back. Due to decisions made out of my power, certain foolishness had to be faced for the journey back to one of the hotels, this could've been avoided but that wasn't my doing, neither am I passing on the book. I was on the ground, I had to mitigate such factors so those concerned were able to reach their hotel. I did the best to limit the damage already made by someone's lack of professionalism, I bid everyone a fond farewell. We would be reconvening the next morning for our final out of London day out. Windsor was a winner? Yess!
Coach Trip... Windsor Better Don't!
Desperately Seeking Adventure





Comments
Post a Comment