It's Showtime... Singin' In The Rain: Hippodrome Theatre, Birmingham!

I returned to Birmingham's Hippodrome Theatre for another musical fix during this month of March! This time around, I had booked tickets to see the current UK tour of 'Singin' In The Rain'. I'm sucker for a classic film that's been artistically crafted into a musical show, it felt correct to book my tickets for another show at Brum's Hippodrome! Oh, my poor student loan!

Typically the rain was bucketing down as I made my way to the theatre for that evening's performance of 'Singin' In The Rain!' With those rain showers, I knew that I picked the perfect night to see the show! I couldn't wait to see the musical because I just adored the film that had been set during the 1920's. Sure, I was very excited because being a student can involve cultured evenings out to the theatre, I'm leaving the stereotypical antics for another time. Captured above is the ever-changing sign at the Birmingham Hippodrome theatre that displayed Don Lockwood, known in the movies as Gene Kelly. I had recently been to see 'Fiddler On The Roof' just the other week, with the heavy plot-line I decided that I wanted to see something more uplifting! Would my mid-week theatre treat match or exceed my usual night out on Hurst Street? Oh, it was a sober affair! For sure, I'll definitely trade a night out on the town for an evening at the theatre, there's no hangover involved! Students, let's change the stereotypical narrative, now! 

Curtain up! I loved the show from the opening act that was set at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California. I wanted to keep the image of the film in my head as the musical spectacle progressed in front of me! Cosmo Brown began with a showcasing of his hopeless personality, he's always getting over-shadowed by the main stars! Sure, I knew he would have his time to shine! Ready and waiting, the stars of the 'Dueling Cavalier' made their way to centre stage to greet u.s the audience! Poised to tell his ramshackle of a story, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont presented themselves to their adoring fans at their glitzy movie premiere. The ensemble played their part well, but I wanted to see it rain! Had I been transported back to the 1920's? I was sold by the first opening scenes because the acting and attention to detail was ace! Do I sound too positive about the show? No! I had been to that theatre in Hollywood twice before from the outside. Where was Steps's own Faye Tozer hiding? Hippodrome, come on '5, 6, 7,8!'

Where was the rain? The romance blossomed between Lockwood and Seldon, the momentum of this show only picked up the pace to reveal the next event! Lamont with her awful squawk of a New York accent was slowly silenced for the time being, but her plot would be announced within due course. It didn't take a genius to work out that a new edge needed to be carved for the fate of Monumental Pictures. The news from the 'Fan Magazines' reported that Lockwood and Lamont would be engaged to be married, but I just didn't see any genuine chemistry between those two starlets off stage. Warner Bros had stole the show, but something would turn up! I admit that I would have loved an accent portrayed by Lamont, a 'Tragedy?' Times were changing, the invention of the talking picture! Lockwood, Brown and Seldon all got thinking! Working into the night, they found something before sunrise! Singing 'Good Morning' the trio plotted to dub Lamont's voice over with Seldon's to save the 'Dancing Cavalier!' Let's play on, B!

New dance scenes burst on to the stage, sung to the tune of 'Got To Dance!' Somewhere and somehow the head honcho J.R Simpson had to agree to the new plan that the clever trio had concocted! Now, I did think that Cosmo deserved to get some credit for renaming the new show, I think that guy deserves a promotion! I wish you a very 'Good Morning' to you and you and oh, you! Every 'Good Morning' has to inevitably have a few rain clouds for Lockwood wished Seldon a fond farewell before royally 'Singin' In The Rain' I shall not tell a lie for I witnessed real life rain, well as far as the Hippodrome could forecast! With little under fifty minutes to go until the finale I made sure I tweeted all about the show to the theatre in question, go on Hippodrome! I must have watched the DVD of the original movie at least twice now because the show and the film are just as good as each other. I want to see Wicked again but the tickets were berserk in price so I said no to that prospect! Back to the show, Lamont's bitterness impressed me much! 

The curtain call beckoned, a few home truths had to be dealt with before the finale! The re-recording of the 'Dancing Cavalier' proved to be effortless! That alteration was easy for Seldon to adapt to the new format but for Lamont a certain microphone bothered her much, sure it in her way! It had to be Seldon's way or the highway! Lina Lamont thought she got wise once she discovered her vocals were being dubbed over with Seldon's harmonies, citing her contract Lamont blurted a pack of lies to the magazine and newspapers to try and set some story straight or whatever way was good for her. Well, she was actually right for once! Cosmo thrived in his role, making his presence known during Lockwood's elocution lessons to sing 'Moses Supposes' alongside Lockwood to the vocal coaches dismay! Yes, the guy finally got a chance to prove himself! With my eyes glued on the stage, I loved every moment of this captivating show! Damn right, I lived for 'Moses Supposes' and all of the other featuring songs! B, I just love the theatre! 

With Seldon's remastered vocals, the show regain a key edge! Sure, that change worked a treat, but to who's disadvantage exactly? All of that was about to be revealed, we were about to all witness an epic fallout! With the rapturous applause growing ever louder Lockwood and Lamont were about to take their final bows, but something stopped Lamont dead in  her tracks with an impromptu speak conducted for all to witness. Keeping in mind that she was always forbidden from talking in public due to her squawk of a New York accent, J.R Simpson decided to let her go forth with her speech at her own peril! No, she didn't realise what consequences would become of her actions! Booed off the stage, Lamont didn't realise her accent sounded so hard to bare! It was decided that Seldon would provide the vocals to an impromptu performance of a specific song made popular by Lamont. Seldon didn't approve of the decision but knew she that she would need serve her contract in full. Seldon and her creatives went onto make more magic! 

Good Morning! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments