Serving It Up... Hafen City Realness: Hamburg, Germany!

Hallo Hamburg! I said 'Auf Wiedersehen' to Berlin for my Germanic adventure continued north to Hamburg! I hadn't done much research about Hamburg but I knew that this port city had something to offer me. Quoting Deutsche Bahn I say Germany has it covered when it comes to cross-country train travel, like clockwork those trains go! Take me back to the port side city!

Looks can be deceiving, Hamburg's Rathaus was crafted to a level of elegance and grandeur. I took Hamburg's tube from the Hauptbahnhof because it was raining when I arrived in Hamburg at the station. Rathaus meaning 'City Hall'. I'm not a fan of guided tours but sometimes it's got to be done, I just don't like to be slowed down by other people who are gawping at the same thing. Taking the tour around the staterooms of Rathuas was the best €4.00 I have spent! Constructed back in 1886 it was partly destroyed in the great fire of Hamburg but architects worked to construct and craft a new City Hall some years later. I want some leather clad walls and marble in the bathroom too! Rathaus was built with some expensive taste! Hamburg put me in my place quick time! So don't be a fool because I thank the Rathaus for getting me out of the rain! The Rathaus needed to takes reservations, we all want some luxury! Do you?

Relaxing is for losers, a challenge worth taking is worth fulfilling, I owed Hamburg! Hamburg served a different realness compared to Berlin. I want to say it resonated a feeling of Birmingham but on a whole other level. From what I had seen so far in Germany had been very positive, I found people to be approachable and some were willing to help me with directions but I had my game head on so I went from one place to another. I limited myself to one day in Hamburg to see as much as possible, I would be off to Bremen the next day so I didn't have any second chances nor would I have anytime to recapture the city centre on my way to Hamburg's Flughafen on the Friday 25th April 2014. Hamburg showed me something I loved for it had an edge that Berlin didn't have, just like Birmingham has flares to it that London or Manchester don't possess. Hamburgers had a different chat compared to Berliners, Denmark was close by? I wanted to relax but Hamburg was waiting! G, I loved Hamburg! 

Hamburg's Hafenstadt was waiting for me! Hafen meaning 'Port' and Stadt translates into 'City' from German to English. Hamburg is one of Germany's provincial port cities, I was ready to see some water! Captured to the right is one of the many canal ways that are located just a few minutes walk from the Rathaus. The gloomy weather continued into the early afternoon but I believe that the gloomy and somewhat cold skies added an extra level of charm to this industrial part of town. My imagination painted a vibrant picture of what early industrial Hamburg would have looked like when its maritime trade was probably just beginning. Being from the West Midlands it wasn't difficult to find a familiarity with the brickwork and smog in the air because that's the scene of the 'working class'. The HafenCity was on point with lots of visible development, a new chapter beckons? Hamburg looked so great! 

I was born frugal so my budget hadn't suffered! I wanted something nice to eat for lunch because breakfast didn't happen that day! Choosing to enjoy a piping hot Kumpir with heaps of cheese, the days travelling had built up a mighty appetite! I loved my Turkish German jacket potato. I forgot to mention that certain parts of Turkish culture and life can be found in most cities but I saw less of this in Hamburg's city centre, for that reason I will leave that eastern fact for the time being. From the docks of Hamburg's HafenCity to the grandeur of the Rathaus I was pleasantly surprised with the offerings that I experienced during my third day in Germany! Thirsty for a pint or three I made my way to the charming neighbourhood of St. Georg where at first I found a series of shady streets but after taking a random turn onto Lang Reihe I was taken aback by the kitsch townhouses and architecture! St. Georg served a lovely pint of Holsten. I don't expect perfection, I wanted something nice to admire. Oh! 

St.Pauli stood to be the perfect place to spend my Hamburg evenings, a neighbourhood that stole my heart with its bohemian and free spirited vibe! My evening's were spent exploring the hipster-like streets of St.Pauli, it was darling, the sun made a short appearance! As darling as St.Pauli fared to be this part of Hamburg Stadt served an edgy quality that suited its aged streets well. Choosing a place of refuge in Hamburg took some work for I don't like to spend much. Located just a few streets away from Feldstrasse U-Bahn sat a whole other side to Hamburg. I had made a wise choice to stay at the St.Pauli Backpackers Hostel! After a few beers I found some energy to explore the early evening streets of St.Pauli for some Turkish food for Germany's the second Turkey! Pamukkale Grill on Sussanenstrasse served me an authentic Pide, I chose to drink an ice cold Ayran! St. Pauli was a Turkish food heaven! Evet, H! 

Hamburg had served me well with a string of remarkable city sights and maritime memories, so after my Turkish Pide I wanted a few beers to wind down from the epic pace of my trip. I found Kurhaus on Beim Grünen Jäger street, that bar was just what I needed. The trendy and cozy bar caught my eye because it oozed understated cool with the front windows open the hipster-like drinkers enjoyed the view just like I did. I made sure I had a beer in hand first before I people-watched! I got a really nice relaxed vibe from that corner of St.Pauli, better still it was only a five minute walk away from my hostel! After the journey from Berlin with the early ramblings through Hamburg's city centre, my Turkish food and street-side beer had me wanting an early night. The following day I would be taking the train to Bremen, I would be saving my drinking shenanigans for the following night. I found Wunderbar near the Reeperbahn, making my flight the next morning was a miracle! Hamburg's ace!  

Hooray For Hamburg!

Joseph Harrison

Comments