Lichfield, England... Cathedral City Realness!

Lichfield, a pint-sized city that doesn't take a minute get to know. I took certain inspiration for the blog title from favourite cheese 'Cathedral City!' Lichfield isn't famous for cheese, it is known for its amazing cathedral that is steeped in over 674 years of history. Do you know who wrote one of the first English dictionary? Lichfield holds that wisdom! No donations, I'll blog about it! 


Dr. Samuel Johnson was born in Lichfield in 1709, where he became the publisher of the first English dictionary. I love to write and blog but I don't think I'll be writing an English dictionary, well I do use some unusual words sometimes in my blogs? Captured above is one of the original copies of the first dictionaries at the Dr. Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum in Lichfield. I had been to Lichfield a handful of times before making my most recent visit because I just wanted to do some exploring and see some places that I never got the chance to see. I took the tour around the Birthplace Museum to see what Johnson had really accomplished, I'll be honest that I didn't know a whole lot. Located on Breadmarket Street in the heart of Lichfield's ever quaint city centre the original features of the building looked truly remarkable to me! Considering Dr. S Johnson didn't have best start in life, he did good eventually. A wordsmith? Sure, he was more than a wordsmith, a Doctor also! Lichfield City had me looking at new things that weekday! OK!

Fame and fortune in the 1700's brought a different stature compared with the range of today's celebutantes, or in simple terms 'Wannabes!' Getting from the big smoke to the 'City of Lichfield' is very easy by train from Birmingham New Street station and no dictionary will be able judge you! I'm moving with the times by not leaving a donation at a charitable organisation or museum, it wasn't an act of defiance. I didn't have change, so agreed to mention the Dr.Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum in this blog as a good-will gesture. Lichfield's great minds go from Dr. Johnson to another formidable character that has more of a reference to the arts. Samuel Johnson was friends with David Garrick, an actor who caused quite a stir through his time and now has a theatre named after him in the city called the Lichfield Garrick Theatre. I surprised myself because I don't really care for museums and the Dr. Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum did impress me much! I must admit that this section sounds rather like a history lesson. It does! 


Lichfield, had it going on that day with the weather because the sunshine felt like perfection! 
Located close enough to the city of Birmingham but within easy reach of the British countryside, Lichfield's a city that offers something different from the noise of Brum. I've mentioned that before? Like many cities its makes up for its smaller size with an abundance of original features and winding streets that made me forget my everyday concrete life. Captured above is a normal street that was just around the corner from the Dr. Samuel Johnson Birthplace Museum. The street in-question was home to a range of independent cafes, hair salons and sweet shops, everyone stood to be catered for. I take a lot of things for face value so Lichfield ticked the boxes for me. I'm used to busy streets and lots of unnecessary trouble but I chose Lichfield to get away for a few hours to seek a new adventure. I have relatives who used to call Lichfield their home, I was  sort of familiar with the streets in the centre. No stress in Lichfield!

Why did I choose Lichfield? That's a very good question! I cast my mind back to December 2013 when I wanted to seek a new adventure, so tweeting up a storm I came across the twitter account of Visit Lichfield and the rest became history. I must also admit that life does get in the way so, having many study days whilst being at university, I found a pocket of time. For a pint-sized city I must say that Lichfield has bore some great minds from the writer Dr. Samuel Johnson to the actor David Garrick there's much to make this city very famous for its historical figures. They named the theatre after Garrick? Someone must of cast a spell on Lichfield! I just wish I could transport some of that small town city vibe to my love for living in bustling cities but Lichfield can keep its charm, its just not good to steal! I did come across the Erasmus Darwin House, former home of the physician who I think achieved a fair amount in his time but I decided against taking in that museum for the weather was lovely during my Lichfield afternoon. Get it! 


Lichfield has an incredible cathedral! Her look? She was giving me Cathedral City Realness for the gods! Representing the city, Lichfield had something to say! That cathedral though she was special? I love it! Dating back to 674 years or so it's no secret that Lichfield's cathedral makes this town city! I'm not religious but I just can't say no to exploring a new place of worship, call it a cultural and spiritual encounter. My last visit to Lichfield cathedral must have been when I was at secondary school, I had the another chance to see this inspiring place of worship. I took my time to see the interior of the cathedral to get the most of my whistle-stop day in Lichfield. Choosing to light two candles because that's just what I do when I pay a visit to a church or cathedral in any case. Dating back to the medieval times Lichfield cathedral holds one of England's most unspoiled streets, known as Cathedral Close. I suggest that you take half a day, there's just enough in Lich! Like a prayer, Lichfield knows a little bit of love goes a long way, B! 

Cathedrals, winding streets and even its own legendary dictionary prototype, assured me that Lichfield is a city that has the potential to inspire us all. Lichfield? Like this? I don't know her! With a student loan as my funds, I needed a cheap train ticket to boot and a McDonald's value meal! Lichfield came through for me! Thankfully, I now have a clear understanding about where the dictionary comes from! I do? Lichfield wants to be gold friend rather than silver? Yes. As for a stunning cathedral that dates back to the deepest stages of yesterday? Lichfield took me to its outstanding 'house of god', even without religion in my heart I appreciated it. I sound dramatic? Who, me? Like this? I don't think so! No! Any-who, this Staffordshire city had me learning new things in abundance, I won't be forgetting the pearls of wisdom Lich gave up to me! No! Getting back to Birmingham before rush hour, it wasn't a stressy day out with no mistakes encountered! Samuel Johnson, who? I remember! Staffordshire sure had more? Staffs, you're a winner baby! 

Cathedral City Stunning! 

Joseph Harrison

Comments