Rollin' On The River: Worcester, England!

A cathedral city? Did I need some more divine intervention or what?! Yes, I did! I wasn't about to get twisted just yet, I had heard mixed reviews about Worcester so I wanted to see for myself! Would it be a day of enlightenment for me? From the Hopmarket to Foregate Street, I had a part of my adventurous side reintroduced to me! Take me to the River Severn now! Worcester, done! 


I took Worcester to church! I eventually made it to Worcester's Anglican Cathedral in my own time because I wasn't in no mood to rush at all! There must be something about places of worship? I couldn't get enough of the peace and quiet that Worcester Cathedral served to me! I was on the look out for a statue of the Madonna, I'm not religious but I see the Madonna as a strong female figure to take strength from but I must of offended the volunteer that I asked. I was like 'Where's the Madonna at?' Apparently, the Anglican part of the church takes a patriarchal stance?! I was like 'I don't think so lady church person!' It wasn't difficult to find a piece of calm in the end! With no Madonna in-sight I wanted to find the crypt to go underground! It was what it was, another misrepresentation when the patriarchy erases those female figures! Silence! To be honest, I just need somewhere to run to get away from the everyday rubbish of life! Worcester was located just the right distance away from home! Period. 

Did I see the tomb of King John? That's a question I simply can't answer! Built between 1084 and 1504 there was some serious restoration going on at Worcester Cathedral the day I visited, we all need a makeover every now and then! After being denied the chance to see the Madonna, I went underneath the church to experience the crypt to be fronted by a blanket of silence and stillness. I hadn't planned much ahead of my trip to Worcester but I knew that I could rely on that formidable place of worship! Fashioned by a Norman flair it was evident to see various influences had made their mark on Worcester's Cathedral. Stuck on a treadmill of normality I wanted to breakaway for the day to seek some solace. Playing by the rules I paid for my photo permit, make your coins Mr. Jesus C! Getting out for the day was a blessing nevertheless, I needed that divine intervention and to break up that mundane bus commute! The quietness was nice, but no I didn't feel the need to pray, I just needed some time. Worcester had a plan for me?


Finding the riverside from the cathedral gardens, I was greeted by a calm flow of the River Severn. Thankfully, I took some time out, but in actual fact it was great to watch the river flow past. Getting to Worcester took some going even though it was not that far from Birmingham, I took the Midland Metro from Bilston via the Hawthorns then a train onto Worcester's Foregate Street. After the stillness of the crypt, I wanted to be in the open for just a moment so the riverside seemed like the best plan. Up until that point my day in Worcester hadn't been knock out compared to other places I've visited but it gave me the chance to think about things. Especially the riverside because of the slow pace that allowed my mind to runaway to a whole other place. I'm not throwing shade on Worcester because the sights that were presented to me did please my eyes, I was living for Worcester in ways that I didn't realise! After Shrewsbury and Worcester, those River Severn landmarks were being snatched up. A slice of Worcester helped! 

Capturing the perfect snap of Worcester's Riverside didn't take much doing because I didn't have my blog head on that day because I wanted to take in the sights without any forward thinking. The weather wasn't cold but neither was it warm, bidding a fond farewell to the River Severn without much thought. I powered forth, making my way back to Worcester's city centre to find a vibrant network of quaint streets that were exceedingly busy for a Friday mid-afternoon time. Foregate Street oozed small city Realness with that main high street of well known brands and some independents that caught my eyes for sure! Any high street that has a 'Paperchase' is a winner in my eyes, let's just say a dear family member got a rather classy birthday card indeed. Worcester was like a medicine in the respect I used seeing the new sights as a tonic, easing my mood significantly! Did I choose Worcester's Riverside to meet the River Severn in a chilled state of mind? Yes! I had one more aspect to my W'ter day, come through independents! Get it! 


I thought I had seen everything that I had wanted to see in Worcester until I stumbled upon the Hopmarket. Taking an unplanned left on Foregate Street, I found a charming and quiet courtyard that I almost dismissed for a second but then decided to grab a bit to eat at one of the cafes. Please, don't quote me on the name because that has slipped my mind. Indulging a ham and cheese panini, I opted for a pot of tea to mix things up. Wanting more I saw 'Joy' a new age store, I bought some Nag Champa incense sticks. There wasn't a lot going in within that courtyard but nevertheless, it made a great alternative to not have McDonald's for lunch. Maybe the Hopmarket will receive a financial boost to attract new business? I was and I'm still glad that I found the Hopmarket when I did. Getting back on the train to make the awkward journey back to Bilston Central was something I would have to do eventually, I didn't want to return but I needed to! The Hopmarket helped me, it was a pocket of calm in an already quiet place. Thanks!

Retracing my steps from the Hopmarket to the middle of Foregate Street's busy high street, I found the Guidhall with all of its finery, being from the outside obviously! I must admit that getting back into the blog mode was a great thing, I decided to chose Worcester because it was fairly close to home and it was on the River Severn. No, I didn't see the Madonna at that patriarchal place of worship but I found some calm within the stillness of the Cathedral's lower crypt. It might read that I was underwhelmed by that cathedral city but it planted a small seed into my head. Should I go out tonight? Surely, I told myself 'NO!' Leaving the cathedral and the riverside behind me, I bought some of my favourite Strongbow Dark Fruit cans for the night ahead because I was determined to carry on my day of 'self care' with a night out in Birmingham's Southside. My day in Worcester did me good in many respects and yes I made it out, visiting the Village Inn for a top night out! Absolutely, Worcester helped me out just a slice! 

Worcester ... Fancy A Slice?

Joseph Harrison 

Comments