Music: Chanteurs Béninoise, French Favourites & Haitian Princes!

There isn't any hidden secret that Africa has many French speakers, with former French Colonies still using the European language. This edition of 'Music' will focus on such artists who are from Africa's Francophone, covering artists who are from Benin and Mali. Presenting those who are in France and also rappers who are from the Haitian diaspora. Musique d'Afrique? Oui! 

Sessimè, who? During a Friday night in 2016 I stumbled upon 'Yayayé' by 'Sessimè' with 'Almok' featuring. YouTube had me losing myself for the whole span of the video, where were these singers from? Were they singing in French? Yes, it was French and they were from Benin in West Africa, that clarification was much needed! Bounding onto my laptop screen that first Friday night in Wuhan, China, I sent the video to my friend Fiona because it had all the energy of a 'I just got out of work' song on a Friday! Even though I know some French from my school days, the French used by Sessimè and Almok had such a difference but the tone of the song was 100% African! Infectious with that fast paced beat, it became my Friday beat without hesitation! From one song I was introduced to two singers from Benin, of course I had to do some more digging! I wanted to listen to more songs by these artist other than just 'Yayayé! Oh, absolutely! My Wuhan nights were filled with Béninoise music! J'adore écouter de la musique béninoise! 

Instantly after discovering Almok, I stumbled upon 'Jiguèguè' by the same Benin artist! Another full energy French language song fronted me with an equally bouncing African beat, this meant for my Friday night music! Sessimè has developed her image throughout the years, during 2022 I found 'Tatouage'. The music video for 'Tatouage' had a high level production, looking like a world away from the scenes from 'Yayayè!' Meaning 'tattoo?' 'Je Ne Vois Que Toi' came out on the 'MY AFRICA' channel with a French/English collaboration with 'Mr. Leo'. That 2019 hit had me listening but where's Almok been? S'il vous plaît, permettez-moi de lui demander! 2019 brought 'Almok's 'Mawu Bé Sekrétèr' to the 'monde!'  Sounding like a beautiful melodic blend of French and Yoruba? I need a translation and language clarification for Mawu Bé Sekrétèr' Back to 'Sessimé' for a moment because 2021's 'Lemiwe' showcased a Christianity style Jesus worshipping? Yes, with an African twist served at all times, Sesi! Oh, I'll keep listening to Benin! 

So we dance! Please, do not get me wrong because those re-ups don't sound bad but they're not the mood! 'Stormae' is the one to bop along to when it comes to 'Alors On Danse' A canny, en-trend and catchy dance tune in French it definitely is, I went ahead to translate it from French during the collating of this blog to find a simple meaning. 'Stormae' keeps it simple with two verses that narrate the common gripes of life, from debt to divorce and then with a remedy to forget all of our problems. If life could just be that simple but 'Stormae' is right because life feels much better when we dance away our woes! Born in Belgium to a Belgian mother and Tutsi Rwandan father, with a clear connection to Africa and the Francophone, I had to feature this dance music wonder! I will listen to those newer songs, those songs that have used the beat of 'Alors On Danse' but the love won't be like it is for the original! Please, I have listened to more than just 'Alors On Danse' by 'Stormae', let's get lost his profound back-catalogue! Écoutons, S! 

Où est ton papa? Who knew that a dance song could express the trials and tribulations a life without a father would sound like? Exactly! Yet another song by 'Stormae' with a profound meaning and sentiment with a dance beat, 'Papaoutai' actually pulled on my own heartstrings if truth be told! Released in March 2022, 'Fils De Joie' fronted me with a string based bass track with 'Son Of Joy' on the beat! Sounding like a song about coming of age, being in his mid thirties by the sound of my French translation. More please? Now! Maintenant! 'Tous Les Mêmes' gives me the feels, that hip present of Belgian pop perfectly narrates the 'meetings of the heart', making that next link as if it was a hot meal! Now, that is the 'Stormae' energy that I am here for! Waking up in a bed with both another man and a woman to the other side, the 'Non-Gender Confirming' hairstyle told me all I needed to know! 'All The Same' just like the French, that is life and so on! Le prochain rendez-vous! Allez, allez, merci, Stormae! Keep it, 'Alors On Danse!' OK!

Branding the man 'Djadja', 'Aya Nakamura' wasn't playing when she read that scrub his rights! Hailing from Mali, 'Aya' and her close family relocated to a suburb of Paris, France. Breaking into the mainstream with her French language music, I loved 'Aya's' music at first listen without question! With lyrics that are on fire, 'Nakamura's' mind is firmly placed on her money whilst the joker has her on his mind, he should know better! Not his keeper and explaining so very clearly, 'Aya' stomps all over this empowering number so perfectly! Choosing her 'Copines' over a deadbeat man, another of 'Aya Nakamura's' hits has 'female empowerment' in the bag once again! Telling him that wanting one of her girls wasn't the mood, he need not call her again, otherwise he'll be getting bombed! 'Jolie Nana' brought the girls chatting in the salon about that bad waste-man but 'Aya' didn't have time for that liar! Not fooling anyone, 'Jolie Nana' serves the 'independent woman' who takes 'no sh*t!' That 'final touch!' Les femmes aux commandes!

Before 'Jolie Nana' and 'Copines', I found 'Comportement' with the same 'don't try this' vibe! Sounding closer to 'Afropop' with a deeper beat, the 'mood' had to be correct because in the club she did not have any problem saying 'va-t-en! With her friends in the VIP, the 'mind your tone' dance track would have over confident tipsy men running a mile from such confidence! Feeling very 'Plus Jamais', a stunning duet presented all of the feels with 'Stormzy' on the beat in English. Not willing to start again, things were running on a resentful hype, those emotions were real. I want to hear more French in mainstream UK music and around the world, we need to wake up to the fact that other languages sound like fire! Je ne sais pas pourquoi? Je préfère d'autres langues! Without question, I cannot wait to see what excellence 'Aya Nakamura' releases in the future because I am here for all of this powerhouse of a Mali-French singer! Major Lazer? 'C'est Cuit' had 'Swae Lee' on the beat with a fistful of stunts and tricks! Feu/Fire! 

Haiti is most definitely part of the Francophone with a different kind of French used within those Haitian conversations, now I am also talking about those part of the diaspora! During another one of those alcohol fuelled Friday nights, I found the music of USA born Haitian rapper, 'Prince Oli'. The video location for 'Lose It' looked knock-out tropical, was that the unknown beauty of Haiti on that music video? I still want to know! Bringing those 18+ lyrics, I lived for 'Lose It' with its infectious beat, pour me another drink and then some more! 'She Likes' brought me a crowd pleaser because I am the crowd and I wouldn't have a problem dancing to that 'Prince Oli' banger! Showing amazing, what?! Released in August 2020, 'I'm Just A Black Man' packed a punch, bringing a simple yet very profound message in-light of the perpetual systemic racism Black people face in America. Referencing 'Martin Luther King' and 'Malcolm X' with featuring artists 'Kay Wynters' & 'Cre8tive God' telling the hard truth. Black Lives Matter!

Jason Derulo is Haitian? Yes, he is! I naively found this fact out after watching the video for the FIFA World Cup anthem in 2018, 'Colors'. Filmed in many locations, the music video for 'Colors' boasted a mountain top like setting, where was that place? Yet again, I wanted to know more! Citadelle Henri Christophe in Nord, Haiti proved 'there's beauty in the unity we've found!' With that outstanding Haitian monument part of the video for 'Colors' it did make me think, why did Haiti feature? Born to Haitian parents in the USA, Jason Joel Desrouleaux sounded the 'Trumpets!' I had to add that cheesy part, just you know I had to! Sure as this blog has pushed French language music from the Francophone around Africa and beyond, Jason hasn't released a song in French or Haitian Creole but we can but see? I am here for all of the representation and the music, mentioning 'Prince Oli' and 'Jason Derulo' is a must. Music breaks boundaries, I love that French music thrives in Africa and beyond in the wider Francophone! C'mme je l'ai dit!

Musique L'Afrique! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments

  1. I'm definitely adding these artists to my playlists!👏🏽👏🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great to hear!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Joseph

      Delete

Post a Comment