Destination: Hong Kong!

My first full day in Hong Kong saw me walking a lot, I wasn't mad about those extra steps because that 'All Day Breakfast' had me in a food coma! Passing through, those 'Blackpool-looking' trams served up some home country nostalgia within that former UK Colony. Man Mo Temple, MTR etiquette and Victoria Harbour by night were all valid 'Destination' components! 

Real talk, I walked for my actual life after I had finished my Hong Kong style 'All Day Breakfast!' I walked from Quarry Bay over to Fort Street within Hong Kong Island to reach a very Instagram-able part of Hong Kong, 'Chun Yueng Street Market' was my intended destination because I wanted to embrace those Hong Kong trams. Before reaching 'Chun Yueng Street Market', I was able to see countless trams making their way along their centralised tracks! Of course, those Hong Kong trams served 'Blackpool' Realness with a certain similar style going on. The market itself was set along 'Fort Street', which had an electric vibe with street vendors going about their everyday trade. I saw many butchers and clothes shops dotted along that thriving 'Instagram worthy' street. To add the cherry on top, I marvelled at the incoming trams that took centre stage as they trundled through that HK market street. Truly, Hong Kong was serving it to me hard, like a destination should! Let me take a moment to look back because I loved it soo! 

Through this 2023 lens, that urge to see something different had me in my feelings in the best way possible. I wasn't mad! Sure, I didn't see it fit to hop onto one of those iconic trams because the very next day would be my time. Leaving behind 'Fort Street' felt correct, I felt content that I had been able to find it after half trusting my maps and my sense of direction, the website also didn't tell any lies. Following on from my 'tram-tastic' moment, I headed towards 'Sheung Wan' to take a clearer photo of 'Western Market' because my previous camera really didn't cut the mustard, I made sure that second chance photo was captured from the very same place! The morning had well turned into the afternoon by that point, I had clocked so much already and with a lot of food enjoyed I needed to pound the pavements of Hong Kong some more! 'Chun Yeung Market Street' allowed me to capture a side of Hong Kong that I had carelessly selfishly swerved during 2016. Hong Kong already knew that I had grown up! Hong Kong got me good!  

Sheung Wan was just around the corner from 'Chun Yeung Street Market' and 'Western Market', working smart I made sure that I paid attention towards the nearby 'Man Mo Temple'. My inexperienced ass had missed out that Hong Kong place of worship, to be honest that first visit to Sheung Wan had been navigated from the street signs because my then phone wasn't even a smartphone! Back again but with a pre-loaded sim card, I was able to track down that 'Instagram worthy' temple without any issues. I even walked past one of the streets that my friend Kelly would take me around the following day, that was the mood I was going for! Nothing much had changed with 'Sheung Wan', even through the 'Colonial Days' this trading post in Hong Kong sustained its authentic working nature regardless of those 'Foreign Forces'. That's a term they like to use 'upstairs'. Only my friend Kelly would understand that turn of phrase. Enough of my excitable waffling, I had that temple in the palm of my hand, absolutely! 

The hanging incense were a whole mood, I loved the mix between the reds and golds that were being served at Man Mo! That temple had stood the test of time, built between the years 1847 and 1862, I love a good question mark? Yes, I do! I respectfully walked into the temple with the place and time clocked, I took my photos without my flash on because that was the rule. I didn't see many other people in the temple during the short visit, for that reason I thanked the gods for blessing me with a unspoiled experience. The temple from outside stood in between two huge tower blocks, with new meeting ancient it was amazing to see such a contrast being served up. After my time at the temple I saw it fit to get some snaps from outside because I had blindly walked past it during the first trip. To my surprise, a woman said 'sorry' to me as she passed by, she wasn't in the way of my photo at all but her unexpected use of courteous language reminded me where I was! Manners? Honestly, politeness never sounded so foreign to me! Thanks, 香港! 

Leaving Man Mo Temple behind me was like a piece of cake, I made my way up a tonne of stairs to find a cute cafe. That cafe had my number for sure, they had a drinks special on several western bottled beers. I chose to double park a bottle or two of Stella Atrois because I can't find it 'upstairs'. Chilled and content, it was a great time to reflect on the day, I was able to use that time to catch up with my friend, Cemoné. She had travelled to the Philippines with her husband and child, I loved our shared 'Hot Girl Summer' Instagram post! Walking down to the MTR allowed me to take a sneak peak at a few property agents windows, I wasn't ready for that shock! I felt content in that moment, my rent 'upstairs' doesn't cost me the earth and I live in an area that works for me. The idea of paying such prices for a property and sacrificing space really didn't and doesn't appeal to me at all. I loved being in Hong Kong again but no more than a travel destination shall it remain for me. To the MTR I went, what chaotic sight would greet me?

I'll be brutally honest with you, this third segment of this blog publication didn't scream 'Instagram mood' to me in the moment but it allowed to see a fully formed queue. I had gotten used to taking the Hong Kong MTR during that first full day, I did see some intriguing sights underground as I made my way back towards my 'Yau Ma Tei' located hotel. At '中環/Central', it struck me that even though it was hectically busy, those subway riders formed an orderly line as they made their way towards the escalators. Passengers were allowing one side for those who wished to walk down the stairs and the other for those who just wanted to stay still as they neared the platform level. This vibe was very much like London without any doubt in my mind, I wished in that moment if those transit systems 'upstairs' might adopt a rhythm such as Hong Kong's? It was actually bizarre for me to see people giving each other space, for certain people to be away from their mobile phone for two seconds, with most paying attention to personal safety!

To conclude my day of exploration in Hong Kong, after my 'Sweet & Sour' foodie experience I headed back down to Kowloon's 'Avenue Of The Stars'. I wanted to capture the view of Hong Kong Island's showstopping view during the nighttime. Getting it right, I low key loved the mist that shrouded those forever iconic skyscrapers. I had visited this picture postcard view back in 2016 but just during the daytime, taking a second look at this remarkable view was well worth my time! The choppy waters of Victoria Harbour set the mood, I sensed that the weather wasn't great but that overhanging mist created something quite mysterious. Sure, another mysterious sighting had to be the helicopters, they were swooping over both sides of the waters ever so quickly! For me it was enough to stand in one place with my jaw wide open, during the nighttime that viewpoint took on another personality, truly a chameleon! I appreciated that view more than anything else, truly I felt like normal service had resumed with Hong Kong present! Sure! 

As I headed back towards my hotel for the night, I felt extremely content with my days sightseeing. I had taken a road less known by fellow tourists with those 'Instagram honeypots' in mind, sure I took things from my own unique point. The trams looked amazing, keeping people moving with a sense of yesteryear during that modern time was just perfect! Gaining perspective and receiving politeness, Man Mo Temple set me well on my way with a fusion served strongly! That cheeky beer along that side-street allowed me to take it easy, that breather was the perfect opportunity for me to plan my next HK move! Sure, Sheung Wan allowed to take a picture that I had once captured before, only better second time! Victoria Harbour acted as the days final curtain call, bringing things right back to the beginning. Hong Kong served up a lot that day, she helped me encapsulate what a 'Destination' truly is! Instagram or not, I love all of these photos for very different reasons, even that MTR scene! HK or not, there's always time for kindness! 

Instagram For The Win! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments