Category Is: Antipolo City, The Philippines!

I had planned to stay within the Metro Manila area for six nights. I wanted to break out of that gargantuan limit with a day trip to Antipolo City. Entering the limits of Rizal Province, it was amazing to feel the elevation getting higher as my 'Bienvenidos Tour' took me out of Manila. Religion would be very much be infused into this day out. Antipolo served 'Pilgrimage' status! 

If truth be told, I had no idea that Antipolo even existed because from an international perspective, it is just Manila people look for within the capital region on Luzon. I went further with that research to find Antipolo, including a certain 'Hanging Gardens' in tow. Picked up bright and early from my Ermita based hotel in Manila, I was greeted by my smiley 'Bienvenidos' tour guide. Setting off into the never-ending Manila morning traffic wasn't bad, it didn't take long before the elevation really changed. I saw the landscape turn tropical really quick, a certain roadside community vibe naturally appeared as 'Bosso Bosso Church' approached. Pulling up to Bosso Bosso Church was a lucky thing because someone connected to the church had agreed to open the gates and doors for me. Dating back to 1578, I looked forward to seeing inside that small stony church, the exterior looked quite robust! Pagentry and wigs were about to be served, 'San Jose' had not come to play because that wig was human hair fibre! Even the J.C was ready!  

Perfectly formed, the Blessed Madonna stood at the centre top of the altar with full space taken! San Jose, she better did not! That model did not play any games, adorned in jewel encrusted garments and a perfectly laid wig! As the church stood silent, the opulent models spoke for themselves. Bosso Bosso Church boasted a 'grass roots' kind of location but nothing looked pedestrian within that 'Bosso Bosso' place of worship! Stepping onto the street took me to another world, I was able to try some 'Turon' from a local street food vendor. I loved those deep fried plantain like snacks, I had not travelled to Antipolo for chain foods because this location served normality. The bread was banging, I loved that 'Pandesal' with such a buttery and soft taste, I needed a cup of coffee to accompany those street-side finds. That corner of Antipolo City served contrasts from one side of the church walls down to the lively market street. I had never been to Lourdes but Antipolo was about to show me their own 'Holy Honey Pot!' Interesting, A! 

Driving for a little bit allowed me to see some interesting sights, the area from Bosso Bosso Church to 'Antipolo Cathedral' served a stripped back Pinoy neighbourhood with corner stores and 'Chisme' all around! Boasting a really long name, Antipolo's own 'International Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage' was about to serve 'Black Jesus!' You know I am quoting one of 'Lady GaGa's songs from her 'Born This Way' album. It was time for those who believed to offer up their prayers at a service, Antipolo Cathedral was packed to the rafters! Taking some photos during that service wasn't inappropriate because churches stand as 'places of significance' in PH. Who was that ebony figure? I wanted to know who she was! Move over Caucasian Maria! Apologises to you, Black Jesus but I'll get back to you in a moment because another 'New Spain' connection had been brought to my attention! 'Our Lady of Guidance?' I never thought such a job title existed? Colonially speaking the Portuguese could've taken notes!

Known in Spanish as 'Nuestra Señora de Guía' this Black Madonna had been a good luck charm for those 'Galleons' that had sailed the epic voyage from Acapulco, Mexico (New Spain) to what we know today as 'The Philippines'. I learned that this blessed figured protected the ships as they made those trips across the Pacific Ocean, taking up to 129 days these voyages were like the super-long haul flights of today! No ship met its peril during the period of these sailings from Acapulco to Manila, all thanks to the protection of the Black Madonna. After seeing an extensive collection of opulently dressed figures and priceless exhibits, I was able to see a tree outside the cathedral that apparently was where the 'guiding figure' had been spotted? Yes, I saw the 'Black Nazarene' upon leaving the cathedral, that wouldn't be the last Black Jesus that I would see during my time in the Philippines! Now, I found out that such richly decorated places of worship are possible due to benefactors! I wasn't surprised to hear that the church as a whole isn't taxed!

Pasalubong? Yes, I had requested to make one of my stops at one of Antipolo's many 'Pasalubong' markets. I was fronted with a brightly lit covered walkway that had market stalls on both sides. Selling every imaginable variation of cashew nuts known to man, I wanted to buy some as a 'souvenir'. I had the aunties offering me tasters of their nutty products, it was a little overwhelming if truth be told. I did see a street child who begged me with their eyes to give me them some money, my tour guide advised me against doing so. Nuts, was I nuts? Yes, I was! I had found some garlic seasoned cashew nuts and if you know me, then you'll know that they are my favourite type of nut! That purchase would suit me for the journey back to Manila later on that day. Things had been leisurely yet packed, I had been able to see what I had wanted to and that impressed me. Where would be my next destination? I was looking forward to my massage treatment already! The day thus far had presented something less hectic than Manila had done.

My mini van drove nearer to Antipolo's 'Rizal Provincial Capitol' as it was my next stop, I didn't know what to expect? To be honest, I opted to stay in the air conditioned van rather than traipse around that capitol building because the heat had gotten hotter! I decided that my day had been rich enough, I didn't feel the need to explore that planned stop because my tour guide explained to me that it was flexible. I did find some interesting information about that political house nevertheless. It was interesting to know that this building acts as the political seat for 'Rizal Province' with a homegrown hero named after it. Inaugurated in 2009, it took a further eleven year later for Antipolo to become its own 'Provincial Capital'. Learning that the original 'Capitol' was transferred from 'Pasig' to 'Antipolo' supplied me with another nugget of information. With one church, a cathedral and a Black Nazarene seen, I asked about my final part of the tour in Antipolo! Keep those nuts away from my face! I was just quoting the legendary 'Latrice Royale!' 

Now, as much as I had enjoyed the beginning middle of my day, I had chosen Antipolo for the final stop. During a pre-travel research period, I was able to find the idyllically located 'Lujetta's Hanging Gardens Spa' from a Google search. Located near to the city centre, I was greeted by a showstopping hilltop view over 'Laguna Bay' and the 'Manila Skyline'. I changed into something more comfortable after locking away my personal items, I was ready to explore and relax. The view alone was so relaxing, it felt like the view went on forever, not to mention the gorgeous weather that complimented that elevated location. I had opted for a simple package, I would be having a 'coffee scrub'. I relaxed to the maximum, finding a deserted pool, I was able to appreciate that quiet setting with nature in abundance. I don't go swimming very often so it was a treat to spend sometime in that plunge pool within nature. With all of this relaxing going on, I had truly forgotten about my work schedule back in Mainland China. Jacuzzi? I couldn't say no! 

The time had come for my treatment, I made my way to a wooden hut with the masseuse. In China it is common for men to mainly be massaged by another man, that coffee scrub was different! Not wanting to sound sexist, it was a surprise to be massaged by a woman, for sure it was. This ground coffee mix was applied to most of my body, professional the masseuse was, that was true. I really could smell the strong aroma of the coffee, I had never had a massage treatment quite like it! I was left to rest for about ten minutes, I didn't fall asleep but I almost did. After having the coffee mix washed off, only then did I feel how soft my skin felt, strangely enough the coffee mix had felt quite rough on my skin at first! My skin was then highly caffeinated, I had no complaints. Heading back to Manila was an experience, it was great to be part of that rush hour moment, I had tickets to my own roadway performance! Antipolo had been something different, getting out of Manila to see something less crazy was a brilliant idea! 

Jesus Is The New Black! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

Popular Posts