Secret Safe With Me: Taal, The Philippines!

Taal had been on my mind for a long time, like a really long time! I had scouted out a legendary looking 'House of God' and knew that I needed to see it for myself! The largest church in the continent of Asia? Yes, I was like go Taal or go home! The Poblacion served up the best 'Longsilog' for my late breakfast! An active volcano? Yes, I wasn't playing! Definitely our secret! 

Up and out early, Antipolo City was yesterday's business! Hitting the road once again allowed me to see Manila's manic roads as my journey down to Taal commenced. The drive down to Taal took about two and a half hours, it felt like a long time and without having any breakfast, I was getting hangry! I sprung out the car as soon as my driver had arrived at Taal's 'Minor Basilica of St. Martin of Tours' with my jaw firmly on the floor, it looked major! Considered to be the largest church in the Philippines and Asia, a religious landmark stood before me in that moment! There was something very powerful about this 'House of God', it stood overlooking the town 'Poblacion' centre with a very imposing stare! I could imagine back in the day, this European structure ruled the lives of the Filipinos who lived in Taal. Heavy stuff aside, I walked into the basilica to see if the interior looked as captivating as the exterior. Remarkable didn't cut it, there's much that I could say to explain what I saw. Taal was a small town that packed a punch! 

Construction of the present church took place in 1856 through Spanish eyes and designs, two European masterminds were looking to create something with stronger materials. OK, after I had stepped over the threshold of that gargantuan church, I was literally blown away by the vastness that stood before. It took me awhile to walk around the edge of the pews, the lofty ceiling had me feeling as if heaven could be seen from the top! The altar was magnificent with elaborate designs projecting a very holy and 'opulent' story. My iPhone at the time didn't do those interior photos any justice at all, I shall keep those images in my head. It was a like a whole landmark, it didn't take me long to have my fill of the basilica but the impression of that place of worship will stay with me for a long time. I did take some time to appreciate the ceilings around the altar, the craftsmanship impressed me much! All in all, my visit to Taal Basilica was like no other, the journey had been worth it! I really needed food, I was not happy about that part at all! 

Before I was able to get something to eat, I was driven a very short distance to my next intended stop. I could've walked but the driver insisted, to be honest I wasn't feeling the tour company that I had picked, I wasn't impressed. I left my feelings at the door of a beautifully restored Spanish Colonial house, under the name of 'Museo Nina León at Galiciano Apacible' otherwise known as 'León Apacible Ancestral Landmark'. I heavily underestimated the meaning of that finely restored former residence, I literally just needed to eat but my needs were of no interest to the driver. Getting it together, I read up about the 'Apacible Brothers' with much interest, their dedication to see their country rid of the Spanish was more than admirable. Both highly educated, it was great to see that they had both spent time at Manila's famous 'U.S.T'. León became a judge, he was even exiled by the ruling Spanish government! Galiciano studied in Spain, he fled to Hong Kong to be the voice against the U.S! The house was amazing! 

'Tripinas' had certainly been a choice, I was there for Taal but not their lack of personal service. I wanted to be left alone to explore the 'Poblacion', I finally found a place to eat! Literally, I felt like I could've been in Mexico! That Filipino Cantina was a whole mood and that was before I had even ordered my 'Longsilog!' My rustic serving of 'Longsilog' was perfection on a plate, I didn't have time to take any photos because it had been finished quickly after it found me at my table! I took my sweet time, I marveled at those period feature buildings. I left my driver to wait, the drive had been long enough and I didn't just want to see the church and the house alone. I loved the honest vibe of that town centre, I noticed many dress shops as I walked around the town, they gave me definite 'Quinceañera' vibes! Taal Town was a whole mood, I really loved being left to my own devices because it was a place that deserved my attention! Of course, that street-side interaction with some local guys allowed me to express my love for the Philippines! 

Done with all that Taal Town had to offer me, I returned to the car with 'Taal Volcano' in my sights. The drive was scenic for the most part, it was like a revelation when I saw 'Taal Lake' with the active volcano holding the same name standing adjacent. I had plenty of photo opportunities, I made sure that I got out of the car several times to take more photos. I felt as if I had that gorgeous view all to myself. The weather was perfect, both the sky and waters of the lake served equally rich tones of blue. The lake went on for what seemed like forever, that expansive body of water looked even better in real life. The tour company redeemed themselves with that view, Mother Nature can take all of the credit because the beauty of the Philippines was my only concern. The volcano was still active, it had been said that irregular plumes of smog had been omitting from the volcano in 2023 as the most recent activity. The distance between myself and the volcano was plenty, I wasn't feeling all that adventurous! On to Tagaytay or not?

Driving up-hill and down again felt like I was on a rollercoaster, the car I was in really drove well for the terrain felt like it was scaling a mountain! I checked my itinerary to see that a scheduled lunch stop had been set, I had not long had something to eat in Taal but wasn't again staying in Tagaytay to get a drink and look around before the lengthy journey back to Manila. Was I able to stop in Tagaytay? Heck was I! Calling it a day, I agreed that Manila would be the best remedy to that questionable situation, I wanted to speak to a manager! Kidding, I didn't speak any manager because that mishandling didn't go far enough and Taal served a lot of great things. Hey, choosing 'Tripinas' is up to you but make that choice with loose expectations, focus on the destination. Taal was a great escape away from the madness of Manila, if truth be told it was great to return to the chaos because I needed a few drinks! I took my displeasure out on a session of drinks in Ermita and a serving of 'Chicharrón Bulaklak!' Taal wasn't B.A.D! Oh, Taal! 

Longsilog Is Life! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

Popular Posts