Serving It Up... Binondo's Chinatown: Manila, The Philippines!

Manila had led me astray, dealing with a debilitating hangover, I pulled myself out of bed because I had things to do! Ermita and I needed a word, she had led me to a rather tempting sports bar, that Red Horse beer had me messed up! Binondo wasn't going to wait for me, I wanted to experience Manila's own Chinatown, being the world's oldest I needed to shake a leg! 

Out on those pavements, Ermita didn't care about my delicate state because of that missed blog opportunity, she knows that night out in her hood wouldn't be my last! Apple Maps told me to head for the LRT to reach 'Carriedo' from 'United Nations', I was about to walk in to 'Hood Manila!' The LRT was cheap, on-time and with the security presence, I felt safe as I travelled the short distance closer to Manila's own Chinatown. Peering over the ledge that overlooked a buzzing outdoor market, you already know that I had my shoulder bag firmly secured with my phone and money by my side. Entering Binondo really made things feel different but I wanted to experience that change because Ermita itself also wasn't a clean cut neighbourhood. Un-apologetically, that serving of 'Street Realness' had me living even if I did feel a bit on edge at times. Manila showed me that we should leave our preconceptions in our hotel rooms, people are doing what they can! I would later find out that the 'Pasig River' had my back, there would be no route-recalculations! 

I came to this manic almost roundabout, my maps told me that Chinatown was basically in front of me! I saw a sign and a Chinatown gate complete with a dragon, only then could I breathe a sigh of relief! Those Chinatown streets were colourful with those Mandarin Chinese signs, it was like no other Chinatown that I had visited before! Binondo wrote her own rules, there was a grittiness and for that reason I loved it! I was able to walk through a myriad of twisting and turning streets during my time in Manila's Chinatown. Of course, I was feeling hungry for some Filipino Chinese food, that would have to wait because I had things to do first! It was heaving, people could be seen in every possible directions, it was quite an overwhelming experience! That gritty energy carried on, I was being served 'Real Life' with every step forward I took! I was on the lookout for another one of Manila's many churches, never before I had I ever clocked a church in a Chinatown before! No, never but I was in the Philippines after all! Ito ay kabaliwan! 

Catholicism remains king in the Philippines, I had never been to a Chinatown with a cathedral like church standing as a major attraction! Never before! Another day, another 'House of God!' Manila didn't play with their Chinatown, dating back to 1594 with the Spaniards keeping a 'god-like' eye on that settlement with 'Binondo Church' built to keep things 'Catholic' at all costs! I read that the Spanish Colonial government had one of their offices in the area because they didn't trust the Chinese Filipino population, something told me they were threatened by their highly industrious abilities. A hive of commerce, Binondo drove head and shoulders above as the true business mecca of that forever Philippine capital city! Sounds like the Chinese had the Spanish scared, there's a good reason why practically every capital city in the world has a Chinatown and more! Napaka misteryoso ba talaga nila? 'Like A Prayer', I wanted to see that Binondo based church for myself! The Spanish wanted to convert the Chinese? Syiempre! Yes!

Overlooking 'Plaza San Lorenzo Ruiz' stood 'Binondo Church', founded by Dominican priests who had a mission to convert the Chinese 'mestizo' community to Christianity. I wanted to see what was inside this rather formidable looking place of worship, I did love the pink tones! Serving shades of rose pink and lime green, the domed ceilings highlighted the painted stations of the cross, I'm not religious but it was a feast for my eyes! Of course, many statues lined the inside of the church, suspiciously they resembled a lighter European complexion! I did take note of their functions and the reason why people prayed to them, interesting! The Spanish did unspeakable things to people in Spain if they didn't convert or live a Catholic kind of life, it boggles the mind how the Chinese community felt when they had that threat to follow a certain Jesus Christ? Keeping it moving, I appreciated the church for what it was, I had seen at least five churches in the Philippines on purpose! Was I becoming a holy person? Uy, religion is a choice! 

Divine intervention had not relieved me of my horrendous hangover, I wanted a word with the big J.C for that reason! Before I headed back into those Chinatown alleys and smaller roads, I thought I would be clever to walk away from that area along 'Juan Luna Street' to see what was there! I was fronted by a row of textile shops, repair garages and a whole lot of real-life! Mind you, those Manila brothers were looking fire! I think all that churchgoing meant I saw a lot of 'Trade' as I walked along that major Manila thoroughfare. Keeping my mind out of the gutter just a little bit, I came to my senses that heading back towards the vibrancy of Chinatown would be a wise choice to make. I was getting hungry and for your information I wasn't about to make another 'Chow King' mistake! Remembering that 2012 Filipino Thanksgiving buffet back in New Jersey, all I wanted was a good serving of 'Pancit' and 'Lumpia!' I had trouble finding a street with restaurants on! Why was that? For why? In Chinatown! I needed to take a few turns first! 

I was able to find a place for a late lunch, I was beyond hungry and didn't really care what the menu looked like! I sat down inside that air conditioned restaurant with a feeling of relief, I had earned that Binondo Chinatown cooked meal! I ordered a fried noodle dish and a spring rolling looking dish, I was beyond unbothered whether my order would be anything like the 'Pancit' and 'Lumpia' that I had envisaged! To be honest, the noodles weren't bad, they tasted fine and did remind me of that Filipino get-together that had introduced me to Pinoy foods. The spring roll was really nice but I had ordered more food than I needed, I asked for it to be boxed up before paying. Sure, I had seen some street children begging for food on the side of the road within that Chinatown area. Without judgement, I placed my fresh leftovers in front of a sitting street child, that girl was beyond thankful. Regardless of the setup, I felt that I had done a good deed for someone less lucky at life. I wasn't mad, that afternoon out in Manila served up more life! Bye! 

No Problema! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 


Comments

Popular Posts