Rollin' On The River... The Philippines: Manila's Pasig!

Manila! Why so 'Misteryoso?' Quite! I wanted to discover a riverway that was being bought back from the brink, she's ecologically dead! Mysterious, right? Manila's own Pasig saw me clocking a monument commemorating those first sailings from Mexico to the Philippines. Lechon? Oh, I needed that succelent roast pork lunch! Oh, that UST! A Leche Flan treat? Yes, I wanted it all! 

Feeling like my hangover had arisen from my body, then I was only able to unleash some serious pace on those Manila streets! I had heard about Manila's own Pasig River and with this glorious series, a Pinoy issue needed to be published! Heading back towards 'Intramuros' took me to my first port of call, I wanted to see that river! 'Plaza Mexico' felt like a natural place to start, symbolising the mouth of water that saw those devilish Spaniards rock up back in the day! I saw a grand old commemorative monument, proclaiming 'IV Centenario de la Expedición Maritima México-Filipinas' from 1564 to 1964. It made sense that the walled city of 'Intramuros' lay a couple of metres away from that Mexican reference along the riverside. 'Plaza Mexico' felt like it had been forgotten, not that I am glorifying the remnants of the former Spanish Colonial Rule, people need to be educated about this from an outside setting. I felt that standing in that location gave me something to remember, we must never forget! So, Plaza Mexico wasn't B.A.D! 

I wasn't mad that the Pasig River had brought me back to the area around 'Intramuros'. I clocked another 'Mexican' point of interest, forgive my memory because I was standing in the nearby 'Plaza España' because I was tripping! Who was that feather hair looking European man? I didn't pay enough attention in the moment because I just knew it would unravel another piece of Spanish madness, it did! King Philip of where? I'm just messing because I already knew how the Philippines got her name, or was it forced upon the archipelago? That bronze looking statue features a model of 'King Philip II of Spain', he had some nerve to still be lurking around those Manila streets! Assigned to the history books, I gave that square a second glance but you already know it was another place for me to learn something, we must never forget like I said before! Take me back to the Pasig! It was eventful but I was able to get back to a familiar point that I had clocked the previous day. The walk from both Plaza's sure prepared me later on! Shady, shady! 

I wanted to backtrack slightly, the previous day saw me not at full pace nor attention. Retracing those certain steps across 'James Bridge' allowed me to see the 'American' looking 'Manila Post Office'. Now, I wasn't about see inside that protected period building because the restoration works had been halted by an aggressive fire! I made the best of that 'Post Office' view, I definitely want to return to see inside the finished project! I had to keep things real because there would be certain places along the Pasig River that wouldn't be possible to see. I keep the faith because Manila was already showing a lot of remarkable things along her own 'real' waterway. Staying with my 'James Bridge' view, I could see a flurry of construction taking place alongside the river-way. I had done some reading to connect the dots, the government were in the process of creating Manila's very own 'Pasig Esplanade'. Something of a rebirth? I do think! I already knew for certain that a return trip would be booked! Manila, bring back your Pasig River back to life! 

Those restricted places were about to come up, I decided to take the 'Pasig River Ferry' one stop from 'Escolta' to 'Lawton' because then I could say that I had officially took that local looking ferry service. I wasn't playing, I waited for what felt an age to take one stop around the river bend. I disembarked at the correct pier with a rather 'In Your Face' feeling setting before my eyes, I wasn't mad nor worried because Manila was preparing me and I loved it! I found my way to Manila's own 'Arroceros Forest Park', I loved walking through that shady park because those trees took the heat away because those temps were high! Shelving Manila's 'Malacañang Palace' for a future visit, I knew in my heart that Manila's Pasig River teased a preview for me during that February 2024 moment. That slice of park-life was a tonic, that pocket of greenery and peacefulness had me feeling like Manila had drifted away good and proper! I was even intrigued to visit 'Isla de Convalecencia' because, why not? Breaking away from the river, I was so ready! 

Manila's Pasig had guided me far enough, heading towards 'Quiapo', I knew that the river's spirit would follow me. My intended destination was the 'Manila North Cemetery', it had a been a place that I had clocked on a documentary or five and I wanted to be a fly on the wall. Leaving Quaipo for good and with the river just in tributary form, the streets changed beyond belief but it was my choice and I had decided to head in that direction. I am going to leave the cemetery for my upcoming 'Like A Prayer' Philippines edition because this extraordinary place deserves its own moment. Now, I was starved by that moment because I had only grabbed a few breakfast bits form 7-Eleven that morning! I had not travelled all the way to the Philippines to not embrace those national meals, I had found a place on Google that served roasted 'Manok Lechon' pork. Before I was able to reach that establishment, well you know I scared myself stupid! It wasn't the people, it was the dogs that weren't like usual street dogs. MNL, I was fine! 

No, I wasn't in some 'East L.A' Mexican Cantina because those crossover vibes had me fooled! 'La Loma' had not been for nothing, 'Ping Ping's Native Lechon Restaurant' was the one for me! I knew that I had picked the right joint when I saw the humongous roasted pigs balanced in their roasted state! With haste, I order a portion of 'Manok Lechon' with rice and a some gravy. With 'La Loma' taking me over to the wild side, I ordered a sizeable bottle of 'Red Horse' lager, I needed it! What was that gravy? It acted as a heavenly combination when mixed with the Lechon and rice. The whole meal made sense, the ordering did not because those Tita waitresses gave some serious 'La Loma' sass! I wasn't mad! My lunch was amazing, everything tasted sublime! Getting my life I was able to catch a singing competition on the telelvision! I definitely recognised 'Vice Ganda!' Through the 'Street Realness' in 'La Loma', I got my whole life! I needed something sweet to conclude the day but not before a certain 'University Challenge!'

Acting for my life, I switched on my 'Confused Tourist' mode because the security guard questioned me. I was honest, I said I wanted to take some photos of the famous 'UST' sign and of the historic something century building. I was granted the opportunity to take my photos without any fuss, I had wanted to visit Manila's 'Universidad ng Santo Tomas' because it had taught 'Jose Rizal' his medicine degree. From the moment I stepped out of that taxi, I was able to feel the energetic vibes that 'UST' main campus served! Let me just proclaim, those divine views extended to more than the 1927 campus buildings! Read between the lines because my thoughts were not immoral, I knew those fellas were of an appropriate age for me to make those observations! Now, I wanted to know more about the school that granted some of the Philippines heroes towards independence from Spanish rule! I felt that the gardens looked amazing, there was a certain European Gothic style with the fountains and manicured gardens. 

Entering my Manila 'Karera' away from the mighty Pasig River, I was ready to enter the final phase of my day of discovery! I wanted to so badly to taste a 'Leche Flan' for myself because I had heard so much about them and to be honest I don't rate such sweet treats in China! 'España Boulevard' saw me on the look for 'Anniella's Bakery' because the internet had told me to do so! I bought two Leche Flan's for myself to enjoy back at the hotel in Ermita. The walk along that European named thoroughfare felt so chaotic but it made sense, it was perfect! My day along the river and there on had been filled with surprises, many learning experiences had fronted me with culture-shocks served on every corner! The comeback nature of the Pasig River followed me, it cemented the reasons why I must return to Manila and the wider Philippines. Never a dull moment, I really do believe this day out surrounded by that 'Pasig' energy was meant to be! Pasig River, better already know that I'm going to be 'Back, Back, Back Again!' Bigyan pa ako!

Misteryoso, Hindi Ba? Yes! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

Popular Posts