Summer Camp 2025: Paddington Bear, London Eye & Buckingham Palace... Part 5!
Tweak my schedule? What? No, I gave families the opportunity to bow out after our main attraction in the afternoon. My original plan had not been for nothing, my flight family were determined to see everything on the itinerary, I would be there to accompany them. From Paddington Bear to the River Thames, everybody found their balance, for me that was just fine.
Now, I would be telling sweet lies if all of the trip was for the kids because it wasn't! It had been a fine juggling act to impress both parents and children, the kids came first in the decisions. On the third day they got a treat! After the mornings class, we headed back to Oakwood London Underground Station, heading for Westminster with a change to the Jubliee Line at Green Park, those works tried to confuse me! Our original plan was to walk from Green Park to Westminster through St. James's Park en-route to the Paddington Bear Experience. Pivoting, we had a cute photo stop along Westminster Bridge before heading over to the South Bank. The parents saw how troublesome some of the interchanges were on the Tube, even though we passed through newer stations on the network. One of the dads had fallen in love with Greggs, I was not going to refuse a steak bake and a bottle of water because you can't get those in China! I knew those parents had great taste! I needed to locate the third family, fun times were ahead! Yes, London!
Westminster was doing too much! I had not taken the Tube to that part of London since 2014, I kept my head in the game! It was boiling hot but the summer sun was most welcome, to be honest the whole week had been gorgeous weather! Keeping it moving on, both present families too their photos along Westminster Bridge, it was prime posting content to show those back in China what they were missing! Putting one foot in from of the other, I had to pinch myself that I was walking across the Thames River with all of that madness going on around me. Photos taken, it was time to grovel because our booked time slot had past, I was prepared to cry on cue because I was going through it! Where was my third family? They had decided to take a taxi down to Westminster with a younger child present, it was nice to see her husband supporting. This trip was no holiday, the families needed to support each other, ensuring all was well. Paddington Bear needed to hook us up! The morning had been a process, come on South Bank!
Reunited with an ice cream in hand, all three families were present and I was ready to grovel because we were late! The kids were buzzing as soon as we got into the magical Paddington Express train, needless to say the staff on the door were amazing, giving us clearance for a later slot. Was the train moving? It was hard to tell if we had even moved at all, exiting was a relief because I was getting a little motion sick, I never get like that! This multi-room experience was about to blow the kids minds, they all knew who Paddington Bear was but the attraction was completely new to them! It was a great chance for the kids to use their English listening comprehension as the performers told us amazing stories about Paddingtons adventures. I was really proud of my student because he got it, he understood the actors and that impressed me! After alighting our train from 'Paddington Station', we were ushered into '32 Windsor Gardens' to see where the Brown family had hosted the legendary Paddington Bear long ago! Oh, Paddy!
'Mrs Brown' really needed our help, the kids were beside themselves with excitement as we moved into the 'kitchen'. The children were able to solve mysteries with hands on activities, it was great for the parents to get involved and be a part of this experience with their children. I was able to capture some amazing photos, this was a big hit with all of our families. From the 'kitchen', we headed down to Paddington's home nation of 'Peru!' The children were gooped by the rainforest like environment, it was great to see another enthusiast actor because they were brilliant and very confident! The children were excited to uncover the secret way 'marmalade' was made with 'Montgomery Clarke's' own 'marmalade making machine!' It was another chance for the parents to really embrace the carefree nature of this attraction, caring less about curated selfies, just having a moment with their children was what I needed to witness! Our experience came to an end after reaching the 'Marmalade Day Festival', we would reconvene the next day.
My flight family with the two boys wanted to see more of our promised itinerary and I was there to show them just that! We only had one paid attraction for that afternoon, they decided they wanted to see London from a higher point of view. It was a surprise to me but I was game for doing something different before we headed towards St. James's Park. I won't feel guilty because the family decided to buy fast passes along with me, I was very grateful to join them for the ride! I had been on the London Eye when I was a child and frankly hated every moment because I am petrified of heights, it was all about being brave and trying something new that week. I loved every second of that London Eye moment, it was a pinch me moment, reminding me that I was in London once again. I knew that the flight family were getting the best out of that moment, they appeared to be enjoying London, that was the aim! I admired their enthusiasm but respected the choices of the remaining two families. On the ground, we went to the next spot!
Retracing my planned and promised steps, we headed back over Westminster Bridge with the Houses of Parliament in full view. Was I proud of London in those moments? Absolutely, no mobile phones had been stolen nor protests had kicked off during our sightseeing! I loved walking past Parliament Square with those flags of many connected nations flying in the summer breeze, controversial but I loved it! The shade of St. James's Park had arrived, the walk from the London Eye had not been long at all, their energy impressed me! The children were captivated by the birds and squirrels they saw in the park. The pelicans impressed the boys a lot, they couldn't contain their excitement once again! I appreciated the shade from the trees and loved the vibrancy of that London park because I had missed that energy a lot! Heading closer towards Green Park London Underground Station, we had a few more things to clock, one being a very royal location! The Mall served Union Jack flags regally along that famous London road!
China's imperial days of royalty have faded, whilst Britain's own Royal Family remains with a favourable presence. Don't twist my words because I am not defaming any nation, I'm respectfully keeping it real! The flight family really wanted to see Buckingham Palace in the flesh, dusk was approaching but those daylight saving settings were on our side! Walking along The Mall for a few moments filled my heart with national pride because I could show the family that we do fly the flag in the UK, not as much as they do in China but that isn't my fight. They were quietly impressed by London's Buckingham Palace and with another park in front of us, we kept on moving. I was yet again impressed with their stamina because we were still walking at a favourable pace, I was frankly exhausted but I was still living my tour guide fantasy! The Green Park? Now, I was just following the map at this point and wasn't in any state to question anything. People were loving life, enjoying the early evening sunshine, London looked so lovely!
I swiped a can of craft beer as we walked past a park-based concession stand, I paid for it though! Oh, that ice cold can of beer tasted gorgeous, I was running on fumes so needed something keep me going! I needed something to eat, the mother of that family had found Shepherd Market, they wanted to discover that pin on the map. We found a gorgeously captivating scene within Shepherd Market, I was treated to a rather delicious sandwich. I gladly accepted that sandwich because I had worked hard and had made the original schedule come to life for the family that wanted to see those places. Ushering us back towards Green Park was the plan because the Piccadilly Line was about to throw down some minor shade on our route back to our resting places. The day had been long, I wanted nothing more to rest my head on my pillow in that St. Joseph's room and sleep! I felt that the day had been operated at a pace where people were happy to tap out of they wanted to, it was alright. The next day we'd go to Windsor.
¡El oso es peruano! Yes!
Desperately Seeking Adventure



Comments
Post a Comment