NJ: Newark's Downtown, The Ironbound & Penn Station!

I blog a lot about New York City, considering I live in New Jersey it doesn't really translate that in my blogs. Here's a change for today. Newark, New Jersey has become my home, the more I spend living here I realise what contrasts this city contains. Is variety the spice of life? Does the Ironbound District and Downtown District measure up with each other? Get it, get it Brick City!

The Ironbound District has become my new home, this European infused neighbourhood shares a border with Newark's Penn Station which, shares a cross-line with another nearby Newark neighbourhood. Newark's Downtown District also has borders with Newark Penn Station. These two communities have countless differences, I live for their differences! From the barbecue restaurants of Ferry Street to the dilapidated corners of Downtown Newark, this side of New Jersey certainly provides one hell of a culture shock. I'm definitely a fan of a multi-cultural environment that has many quirks that make everyday life just that little bit more exciting. Newark's a city that's got a whole lot of attitude so I know its going to teach me a lesson or two! The Ironbound District is full of rich flavours and two defined cultures. A strong Latin and Portuguese vibe, speaking for itself as English isn't the primary language. I love that my Spanish listening skills have improved, getting change from the 'Dollar Store' educates me! Eu amo isso!

Taking from the Latin influences Newark's Ironbound possesses, I honestly don't know where to begin? Downtown Newark has more of an African American feel, both Broad Street and Market Street have an abundance of interesting eateries which range from Fried Chicken to Ghanaian delicacies. Both of these areas are constantly on my radar as I pass through the Downtown Newark District on my way to work as the 62 NJ Transit bus takes me to Newark Liberty International Airport. America is certainly one of those countries that takes you by surprise, I suppose the factor of living here puts a different spin on things? Newark, New Jersey hasn't been my home for a long time but I can already see a stark contrast between the boundary lines. I live for the Portuguese BBQ chicken, rice and black beans along Ferry Street, sided with Realness for days on Market/Broad Street! Lucy, who? I don't know her! Newark's got a hold on my heart! Those post A.M shifts, I love those ham and cheese 'Coxinha' with a hot coffee! Ooh, Brazilian! 

Newark Penn Station is the gateway to New Jersey's rail network. It's Newark's connection to the rest of the USA's Northeast coast and beyond. Downtown Newark and the Ironbound are both on the doorstep of the tracks of Newark's Penn Station. You could say that Newark Penn Station meets these two neighbourhoods in the middle. I'm a regular passenger at Newark Penn Station, it's where the 62 bus leaves for Newark Liberty International Airport. This transport hub has many different personalities, people even call it their home! I don't quite know how to put my views about Penn Station together, but here goes! There's a saying from the people I heard recently; "Be careful! Do not go across the tracks if you don't need to! Especially at night!" I'm the adventurous type when it comes to exploring places, but I always exercise caution on that NWK borderline. Sure, I know the Downtown and I will have our time fine. No, life isn't dull because even at the airport I continue to witness Realness on a daily basis! Yes, Newark is life! 

The Ironbound and Downtown meet at the middle that transportation gateway, I see it most mornings before sunrise to know that interchange well enough. Newark is a racially diverse city, from the African-Latino communities to the Portuguese majority, life is like a language lesson! I look back for a second to think about my clean cut Disney life for those apartment complex's on the Intern properties were located in sterile areas close to Lake Buena Vista, plus we had twenty-four hour security on hand so things have been very real this time around. I simply jumped on a bus during my EPCOT working days but now I walk to another bus, which is located about one mile away from my shared apartment in The Ironbound. Disney's Celebration kept me cocooned in safety, Downtown Newark schooled me good and proper! No more Celebration, it's more like a slice of the 'Orange Blossom Trail!' Yes, the PATH connects me to the city but the bus is where is at! NYC? I don't know her! Just kidding, we're cool! Sure, Celebration was too clinical. Yes!

Choosing a neighbourhood that would be my favourite place would never work in this situation. Say for instance, I'm waiting for the Go28 bus on Market Street in the dead of night observing people as they go by minding their own business, mind you some of their business isn't that kosher I might add. Whilst I'm waiting for the bus on Market Street at eleven at night, I love the vibrant nights activity with a notion of mild caution! To shine some positivity about the Downtown area of Newark, I do find the atmosphere interesting if a little daunting. Whereas Ferry Street, it is the life-blood of the Ironbound. This long and winding street offers so much more than just shops, restaurants and bakeries. This European part of town has a sense of warmth that can be felt even on the coldest day. The imported Portuguese chocolate definitely tastes batter than the American stuff! Don't get me started, American chocolate is not the one for me! Both Newark situations have me living life authentically! Go! Straight up, NJ is the realest!

Taking the bus to the airport, well those short NJ Transit journeys on the 62 bus towards Perth Amboy really give me life! The personalities have me listening and listening good, people have their lives and it has been clear that some have it harder than others. Passing through the Downtown on the 62 during the afternoon has so far allowed me to see the Dominican Hair Salons and edgy looking row-houses as my bus nears the McCarter Highway. My relationship with Newark needs more time, I am continually learning more about my new NJ home in the USA. From Downtown to Ironbound via Penn Station, each and every experience has me on my toes, paying attention to live with an open mind and heart. New Jersey has accepted me and I have accepted it also! I'm taking it day by day, plate by plate and street by street! Newark will be my home for the remainder of 2012, until that departure I want to know more, to become part of the furniture! Much like me with my 'erratic' shift patterns, Brick City also don't sleep! Eh, Lucy!

Brick City, Come On Through!

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments