NYC: No Battery Park Blues!

Parks are be places for having lazy summer days with friends or being inconspicuous whilst waiting for a mystery encounter? Parks like Battery Park possess a deeper significant compared to any other park that I had previously been to as this one overlooks the Hudson & East Rivers in New York City! Where was Susan? NYC, I was living my 'Desperately Seeking Susan' fantasy, M!

With the sun shining at around 4 p.m. the silhouette of our Lady of Liberty shone in the distance from the banks of the Hudson River over-looking this park in-question. To be honest I did half expect the Queen of Pop (Susan) to strut down the promenade past the stone benches in her famous 80's regalia. Even though Madonna herself didn't turn back time 23 years it would have been a moment to cherish. As I looked into the distance the every day 'NY Waterway' ferries sailed past along with the 'Statue Cruises' boat taking excited tourists to Ellis Island and Liberty Island. A sight that's proving difficult to put into words, my current thought process wasn't very rational at that time! Even though I desperately wanted to seek Susan it didn't put a dampener on my day it sort of made it more interesting. I needed to use my imagination to believe what the actual film site could have looked like back in the 80's. Getting into the groove, I loved it all! Oh!

New York City is a place that I'm learning to love and I believe that my feelings for this city will only grow stronger as time goes by. Well, I've been to Hyde Park in London and Cannon Hill Park in Birmingham, but nothing compares to the likes of Battery Park. I will admit that the wintry state of the park meant that there wasn't much living foliage due to the cruel cold degrees of the winter weather but that didn't matter to me. Battery Park you reign supreme to me! I must remember to keep my feet on the ground because this last month has been a whirlwind experience! From being in one of the world's most iconic city's has been amazing, but somehow I don't think things will be getting any less surreal for a while! Desperately Seeking...? My time spent at Battery Park teamed with the movie influence gave me my blog title, I knew that from that moment on I would be 'Desperately Seeking Adventure!' I channelled Madonna that day! 

Battery Park City happens to be located within the Financial District, close to New York City's Downtown. I found this part of NYC quite edgy and business orientated, I really like that part of town! My aim for this year is to throw away the guidebook that I was given at the start of my placement and follow the NYC Subway map to get lost so I find new places that aren't strictly meant for the tourist's view! Battery Park City showed me a new insight to New York City because in the here and now I had only seen the Times Square area around 42nd Street. The nearby Chinatown served completely different views for other reasons, less edgier let's just say Battery Park's ambiance put me at ease! I didn't care what my colleagues had in their minds during our visit to Battery Park that afternoon, I knew I was in the right place at the right time! Our Hudson River ferry ride had given me everything! I felt empowered and psyched! NYC, go!

As shown in the photo captured above, the weather was crisp and quite cold with the bright sky shining on the skyscrapers, they looked perfect! I need to get a grip, I must sound like a bumbling mess? When talking about this park and the crazy emotions it made me feel but I kid you not I loved every second spent at Battery Park. The visit to this part of town was completely spontaneous, something that isn't really my thing as I like to have most things planned to military precision but that lack of organisation didn't do me any harm! People might have just seen steel and glass structures, I saw an icon! Looking back to my recent trip to Battery Park, I hope that I make a return visit to this area of NYC because it definitely made my day! Getting myself together, I now know that Downtown needs more attention, I could leave the bright lights of Midtown for a few months. Yes, a living legend in city form stood before me! B, I felt blessed! 

With the affluent sprawl of Manhattan making the surrounding vistas of Battery Park look so very amazing, It dawned on me that I'm now living in America! Well, New Jersey for the year ahead to be precise! Cliché as this might sound, I'm living a dream!' The atmosphere made the moment feel more real as the heavy volume of tourists trundled past with their Kodak's and backpacks. One can be very grateful that I'm living here rather than just visiting for a weekend unlike the masses. Enough of that baloney please! Seeing the 'Statue of Liberty' in distance gave me the sense that she had to be my next New York City/Jersey City find! I hadn't seen that iconic symbol of freedom that has greeted so many to the shores of the NY and NJ area. Battery Park served a series of different views even when standing in one spot, I sure had the golden ticket! For sure, NYC hasn't seen the last of me because I'll be here every weekend! Battery Pk blessed! 

Feeling very content with my visit to Battery Park and the surrounding Downtown area within New York City, it was time for us to take the ferry over to Lackawanna/Hoboken Ferry Terminal. We all went for a few beers and enjoyed some chicken wings. The day had been very random and seriously unplanned but that had allowed me to have the experience that I did at Battery Park. The day gave me a great starting point for the year that's standing before me, I have lots of places within the United States of America that I plan to visit! Back to work I went with a desire to continue with my blog, to carry on with my time off to be consistent so I can plan more overnight and weekend trips. I need to watch the film back to track where 'Susan' and Madonna met along the riverside park! Desperately Seeking Adventure will be my title, giving me a lasting me of the day spent in the city! Truly, life is teaching me that there are no mistakes! Let's get it! 

Yes, Battery City Park! 

Joseph Harrison

Comments