NYC: Greenwich Village, SoHo & Bowery!

I recently discovered Greenwich Village, NYC for the first time! Nestled between West Village and SoHo is a side of New York City that made me feel so at home, so much so that I wanted to relocate from Newark instantly! To be honest the weather wasn't the best compared with my other days off but time is precious, sure I went off the tourist map, regardless! NYC, let's get it! 

It's been two months since I started my Industrial Placement, I had the bug to see somewhere new in the city. After talking to one of my co-workers I decided to jump on the PATH train to Christopher Street. How could a place so aligned with my senses be less than thirty minutes away on the train from Jersey? I had heard great things about this trendy and historic area of New York City. I absolutely had no clue where I was going but I simply trusted the streets of Greenwich Village to take me some place interesting. As mentioned before the weather was not really the best that day, but we have to make the best of what we have! I was instantly impressed by the kitsch boutiques that this area served, the vibes served really had a different flavour! Make no mistake, I am loving the realness of Newark's Ironbound District but I wanted everything from Greenwich Village! Get it Miss PATH, that Hudson River train took me there!

As I made my way from the PATH station in the heart of Greenwich Village at Christopher St PATH Station, I loved that sidewalk style! The Gay gods were looking out for me! That side of New York City had a different vibe with cute coffeeshops and pet grooming businesses for the Rainbow majority! Sure, New York City had many queens reigning in that neighbourhood, who were in the past, present and coming into the future! I instantly at home! I was on a budget so those fine eateries weren't meant for me during that visit, I didn't need fine food because my New Jersey breakfast had been supersized! The streets were alive with a certain 'Je ne sais quoi' but I didn't know quite what? I was in the centre of NYC's Historic LGBTQ District, standing in the very same place as the freedom fighters sashayed for our rights to just be, to be what we are without any apologises required! Just like 'Marsha P. Johnson' had said "Pay It No Mind!" Yes!

Jam-packed with a vast range of vintage fashion boutiques, Greenwich Village possessed a charm that certainly caught my eye. A neighbourhood that reminded me of London's Chelsea with a touch of London's Soho Rainbow vibe with a smattering of NYC sophistication added for good measure. Just a heartbeat away from the tenement charm of Lower Manhattan lay Greenwich and West Village areas. I was loving those sweet views, yes for those delectably looking gentlemen! Greenwich and West Villages were serving fierce looks and then some, looks for absolute days! I've been in America for about two months now and had wanted see somewhere that hadn't jumped out of the guide book! Following my senses and those tasty looking guys I neared Christopher Street, I adored those NYC style fire escapes along with the red brick apartment blocks! Baby, I knew I was living for that moment! Come on through, NYC!

I'm not one for going shopping and leaving empty handed, so one charming clothes shop caught my eye. Rag & Bone, proved to be an understated but nevertheless stylish store that tempted my debit card to part with more than a sensible amount of money! That's why I didn't eat lunch! Let's just say that the charm of the shop and its rustic exterior wasn't the only reason I had to purchase something from this gorgeous designer boutique. The type of gentlemen that I mentioned before were definitely present in this store, a shopping experience to remember for a while. Calling all fashion retailers! You need to have a field trip to this part of town because I'm afraid you could learn something from these fashion houses! I can't be attracted to anymore shops that have gorgeous store assistants because my money disappears! Listen, a treat is always worth having if we work for our money, next time my money will go towards a flight! Girl, why?

Taking my photo of the Christopher Street sign needed to be done, I was done with both Greenwich and West Village area! Taking a random turn onto Bleecker Street I walked further towards Bowery and East Village. My phone doesn't even have maps, it's practically prehistoric so I had to use my memory in order to get back onto the PATH later on. I stumbled upon NYU, yes New York University with a certain Chinese vibe in the air I could tell the student population had a diverse feel. Bleecker Street sent me back to school, I was being educated with a real-time NYC education stacked full of endless Realness! Was it a woman, a man or an angel? I saw that wonderfully looking human being dressed in their finery, their hair was on-point along with the garments! Those lights and sights during that day time hour had me bedazzled! Stopping for a light refreshment at a local Irish bar, I enjoyed that afternoon beverage. Where to next? Home!

Not having any GPS didn't bother me, I believe that New York City takes me by the hand each time when I visit. That day, NYC encouraged me to take those unplanned paths. I knew it would soon be time to turn around to retrace my steps back to Christopher Street PATH Station for the train back to Newark Penn Station. Airport life would resume soon! From that faithful suggestion to getting lost in the store assistants blue eyes at Rag & Bone the day took me to places that I never expected to find! The street murals gave me, trusting Bleecker Street had to be the one, I was definitely getting schooled for the better! I'm buzzing for my next adventure over to the city, those crazy shifts will make those dollars so I can get back over to NYC. Getting lost without a map, now that allowed to trust the streets and my sense of direction to the fullest! I'm not sorry to say, my UCB colleagues need to know that I have the best placement location! 

Strike a 'POSE!'

Joseph Harrison

Comments