Music: Azonto Moves, Nigeria's Yemi Alade & Somali Love!

Music brings the people together? Well, 'Mr DJ' better put a record on right about now! For the first instalment of this blog series I'm going to take things to the African continent! From Ghanian London based artist 'Fuse ODG' to Nigeria's own female powerhouse 'Yemi Alade', don't think it's going to be all 'easy' because I see you 'Mr. Eazi!' Nimco Happy? C'mon Somalia!

Making his worldwide presence known with those key Azonto moves, Ghanian raised London born artist, Fuse ODG came through with a message of 'love!' Giving us him and nothing less, this fresh Black British artist came to commercial success with his debut album, T.I.N.A. Conventional music in the popular domain needed to take several seats because this new generation rose to our feet with our hands to the sky, Ghana Beats had us rising big time! What was 'Azonto?!' Fuse's own track 'Azonto' from his debut album had us all learning this West African dance without hesitation! I was in my third year of university during the 2013/14 period, Fuse ODG had that airplay on lock with all those events playing his 'T.I.N.A. hits! Did I love this music? Damn right, sure this white boy tried his best Azonto! Was it the next level 'Migraine Skank?' That needs to be fact checked! Performing at Birmingham Pride in 2014, Fuse told the crowds that 'it's all love', music led the way! Fuse's music had me hooked! More Ghana Beats, F! 

Only in 'Africa?' Not wanting to leave other African nations out of the message, Fuse ODG came back in 2015 with 'Africa'. Dancing down to this beat down low, this empowering and positive African track spread another message of love with the quickness of a Ghana beat! Ed Sheeran can sing in 'Twi?' Yes, Fuse switched between English and the Ghanian language 'Twi', throughout 'Boa Me' Ed represented Ghana with understandable Twi lyrics for the world to hear! Now this is what I called a version of 'This Is New Africa' with a white British singer spitting lyrics in Twi with Ghanians understanding him! Off the ground with 'New African Nation', Fuse danced away on the 'Island', pardon me for only just discovering this Fuse song! 100 percent, I can say that Fuse ODG has my attention for me to listen to his beats for life! Fuse, when's the new record out? From Tooting/Mitcham to Ghana and back again, creating a new perception of Africa through music, Fuse ODG teaches on! Still, Ed Sheeran singing in Twi! Yes!

The one like 'Egusi Soup?' Yemi Alade's music came into my life once I heard 'Johnny' after its 2014 release. Recognised as one of the most famously known female songstresses from Nigeria or even in the whole of Africa? Yemi is a powerhouse of African Pop, searching for her 'Johnny' there was no 'question', I wanted to listen more! From Yemi's high energy music video routines, I fell in love with a slower paced beat because 'Duro Timi' had me listening constantly! Translating from Yoruba, the meaning of 'Duro Timi' fitted the English translation 'Stay With Me' perfectly! Why love songs always got to be white? Yemi had me switching to a completely melanated sound with a representative from the African continent doing it much better! Striking a pose, Yemi came back with 'Pose', another excellent video produced for that catchy Nigerian music icon! For me, Yemi's music lifts me from any sullen mood to me dancing around the kitchen with no apologises needed! OK, I favour Yemi over her compatriots because she's a star! 

'Taking Over Me' with 'gospel on the beat', Yemi yet again sent me into a Naija icon state of mind! After meeting my now friend and former colleague Ruth, being from Kenya she agreed with the fact that Yemi Alade has Beyoncé level fame in Africa. During the Coronavirus Pandemic, music from Africa only became better with yet more bangers from Yemi during 2021! 'True Love' came onto the scene with a feeling of immense happiness, the video sent me to another place entirely! Many music artists had used face masks during their Pandemic released music videos but Yemi's masks had been tailored with the same print her costume featured. DJ needed to know that we need some 'Happy Music' because being locked down at home wasn't giving me any life whatsoever! 'True Love's's video showcased an abundance of 'love' with a honest African flare, as per normal service 'Alade's' outfits served 'African Queen Realness!' 'Africa' changed the game along with Kenya's 'Sauti Sol', pure musical pop excellence! Oh, Yemi! 

'Pour Me Water' became the first single I heard from 'Mr. Eazi' during my first months living in Beijing, China. Scrolling through YouTube on a Friday night with my drinks had me finding this scorching hot Afrobeat release. Like a one track wonder, I must admit that I got a bit lost once discovering 'Pour Me Water' by 'Mr. Eazi' but I'll find a way to redeem myself! That was it, now I remember 'Leg Over!' Filmed in London, that music video brought a 'highly choreographed' situation. Needing absolution for lusting, he spent time at confession, such full-bodied womanly moves surely had viewers and 'Mr. Eazi' distracted? Seeing a music video that showcased a range of highly melanated beautiful woman served what the music industry tries to dilute. Deep in a wild African setting, 'Skintight' jogged my memory on this occasion because I'm familiar with more of Eazi's releases than I'd care to mention! Feating 'Efya', the 'Zaina Lodge, Northern Ghana' filmed music video had me mentally planning an African safari because of the landscape!

Sticking with Ghanian talent for the moment, during my Beijing hotel quarantine period I found the excellence released by 'King Promise'. Sharing that Beijing location of discovery, sure it was another YouTube discovery during that 2020 moment. His music distracted me from the fast-changing COVID-19 situation that I faced during that New Year period. 'Abena' was the first song tracked down, definitely I kept my 'promise' because that upbeat track had my head in another space. Bringing in the muscle with King's promise to be her 'Commando', this easy-listening Ghanian beat had me avidly listening to 'King Promise' once again. Of course, a certain China connection should be elaborated because China's African expat population had influenced my music choices. Throughout my time in Wuhan, firstly introduced to 'African Nightclubs' such as 'Vibes' and then 'AllStars' allowed me to shake it on the floor without a care in the world, sure I loved it! From 'Mr. Eazi' to 'King Promise', African music is beautiful to me! Sure, truthfully!  

Now, I am not a fan of 'Tik Tok' but during the latter stages of 2021 there was something taking that online platform by storm! Nimco Happy, a singer hailing from Somalia had been propelled into the world to the delight of many millennial Somali influencers and journalists. 'Isii Nafta' traditionally being a song played at Somali weddings had found itself on the social media platform 'Tik Tok', the clip showcased 'Nimco' performing her 'now' world famous song in front of a crowd of important dignitaries, also accompanied by a troupe of excitable Somali police officers. What in the world had actually happened? Overnight 'Nimco's hit 'Isii Nafta' had been reposted by singer, Cardi B as she danced with her sister to the song in-question. Many young Somali made their own short video mash ups on the social media platform mentioned with national pride in mind, promoting the song features three ways to say 'I love you!' In English 'Isii Nafta' means 'Give Me Life', producing a viral outpouring of love for this heartfelt song. Wow, S! 

For 'Nimco' things escalated pretty quickly, Polydor Records stepped in to sign this Somali music phenomenon. That record label signing secured those royalties for 'Nimco' to stop others capitalising on her instant overnight super-fame. Overwhelmed by the fire hot reception, 'Nimco' personally said that she has been humbled by the reception to her music. Many younger Somali netizens have praised the movement, for them to see their culture represented on a world platform has brought Somali's from the diaspora together. No war games or news of destruction caused by militant organisations because 'Nimco' has brought nothing but light and love for the world to see regarding the perception of Somalia. Music, it brings us together regardless of the culture or language. From Fuse ODG to Yemi Alade, I adore such Afrobeats without any discrimination because truly I learn from Africa's rich range of singers and groups. Mr. Eazi and King Promise found me in China and Nimco Happy made her Somali fans shout out with pride!

Just Say... AFRICA! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments