It's Showtime... Death Drop: Criterion Theatre, London!

The West End had me back for one camp old theatre production, I wasn't ready for the drama of that Drag 'Murder Mystery!' Starring a diverse cast, 'Death Drop' blesses their audiences with one 'Queer' cast and I was there for it, 1o0%! With Queens and Kings appearing, I did notice the three Ru-Girls! Reintroducing West End back into my life, the excellence served impressed me!  

No longer would I sit at home and miss another run of 'Death Drop' open and then close without me seeing it for myself! No, not on my 2022 watch! Drifting in like a storm, London's Criterion Theatre advertised those theatre ticket for my nerve! With a killer cast, I noticed that every member of the headlining cast represented 'the community', you know I saw that business! Bring on the show, already! Starring in the show, 'Jujubee', 'Kitty Scott Claus' and 'Vinegar Strokes' served that 'RuPaul' representation! Respectively playing, 'Summer Raine', 'Shazza' and 'Lady Von Fistenburg', mother knows best! Making her 'Death Drop' return 'RuPaul's Drag Race UK, S1' acting icon, 'Vinegar Strokes' had the crowd wanting more as she bossed that regal role! Playing a washed up popstar, 'RuPaul's Drag Race UK, S3' icon, 'Kitty Scott Claus' had us all chair dancing to 'Oopsie Woopsie!' Room for another 'Ru-Girl?' I had most recently watched 'Jujubee' on 'RuPaul's Drag Race UK vs The World' before she had joined the Death Drop cast!

Keeping things legendary, 'Holly Stars' didn't just play one role during my March 2022 outing to see 'Death Drop!' No, 'Stars' played three roles as the 'Bottomley Triplets' and had also written the show based on an original idea by Christopher D. Clegg. A Conservative MP? Yes, 'Richard Energy' had us all laughing hard as he played 'Rich Whiteman'. Ladies man extraordinaire, 'Phil Maker' was played by 'George Orell'. Drag powerhouse 'Anna Phylactic' wowed us with her portrayal of the savage newspaper editor, 'Morgan Piers' from the 'World of the News!' The 'super' swing had to be 'Apple Derrieres' for our entertainment, completing this winning cast for the Spring 2022 run of 'Death Drop' on London's West End! Radiating endless rays of 'Queer Joy', I knew even before the show that my time at the Criterion Theatre would be legendary! Regardless, I sat with no favouritism for the cast of 'Death Drop' because the 'Race' wouldn't have me fixed on those 'Kitty Girls' over the 'Non-Drag Race' members of the cast! A star bunch! 

During my previous visit to London in 2017, I did not visit the theatre during that Chinese visa motivated visit. Why on earth did I not see a show during that November 2017 visit? Crazy! With life thrusting me back over to the UK, it was followed by those three less than delightful Lockdowns! With the country closed, nobody was allowed to watch any theatre shows due to restrictions! As the UK muddled through the unknown reality during Autumn 2020, 'Death Drop' managed to stay open on the West End for as long as the Pandemic permitted. How could such a joyful show be shaded by Miss COVID-19?! Now, that business was uncalled for! With a path to our 'New Normal', theatres fought through the mixed messages that the government continued to spout! When would 'Death Drop' be allowed to return to fill our hearts with such joy, a 'Queer' kind of joy? That wasn't meant to be a question! Miss COVID-19 and that party-loving Boris both needed to take more than a day off, we needed 'Death Drop' back! Yes, we did! 

How was any of that business connected to my March 2022 viewing of 'Death Drop?' Holy heck, having the theatres open for almost a year to that March 2022 date, that allowed me to book my London theatres with confidence! Drag both on and off the 'Race' had been a source of life for me during those 'Pandemic Settings'. Seeing that 'Death Drop' had to close after only being open for a few months since the lifting of the first Lockdown, well that had me duty bound to support the show, only when the time was right for me! Theatre tickets aren't for free, you know? No! Anyway, with life resembling some kind of normality, it was such a tonic to then see the show bounce back during 2021 and beyond. Introducing 'Karen From Finance' from 'Down Under, S1' and 'AllStars 6, star 'Ra'jah O'Hara' brought class 'International Drag Race' back to the 'Drop!' With a March to April 2022 run, tickets were booked for my first London show since 2014! Sat in my seat at the Criterion Theatre, I waited excitedly for 'Death Drop' to begin! L, I was ready! 

Tuck Island had just welcomed five unsuspecting guests to a dinner that was dedicated to Princess Diana and Prince Charles! Lady Von Fistenburg stood as the lady of the manor, she had many secrets underneath her wig! The Bottomley Sisters were in charge of the catering, those dishes served up the 90s perfectly! Turning up to the party we saw Summer Raine, Shazza, Rich Whiteman, Phil Maker and Morgan Piers enter that shady situation, we were in for a right old camp time! Causing a stick in the kitchen, those Bottomley Sisters had Summer Raine throwing up her dinner in the most dramatic fashion! One by one, the masked killer made their way through Shantay Mansion, poppin' off another member of that cursed dinner party! It was an overnight thing, as the pandemonium of the party became too much for 'Shazza', a little song made everything alright again! Oopsie Woopsie! Those Bottomley Sisters were dropping like flies! Who was the killer? Jujubee played two roles? Yes! Rich's secret was about to be revealed! 

Lover of a 'Rent Boy' or two, that cheating Tory MP had his cards red by Morgan Piers, who by that time was about to lose her last nerve! Morgan wanted off Tuck Island! Lady Von Fistenburg was sitting on a secret? She was indeed! A French sounding detective had magically found his way over the waters from the mainland, how on earth had he done that with the storm blocking the road with a tree? Something wasn't right! Another death? Yes! Phil Maker, no longer able to flex his assets so suggestively, he had been murdered also! Revealing herself in the end, Summer Raine had fooled her fellow guests because she had been the murder all along! With many dramatic pauses, catchphrases and references, the show had me almost laughing the theatre down! At the end of their party, HRH Princess Diana had by some miracle found herself entering Shantay Mansion to front the shocked party guests! Of course, Shazza would be more than happy to sing HRH her new song, 'Oopsie Woopsie!' I had wholeheartedly enjoyed my time! Oh! 

Oopsie Woopsie Daisy! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments