In My Feelings... Orlando, FL, USA!

Received Pronunciation never sounded so good! You already know that childhood BBC English accent came in real handy during that Walt Disney International College Program interview and my love for all things Disney Parks worked! Not to sound arrogant, I sold it to the American interviewers good and proper! I wasn't deceitful! I have no bad feelings, just love to express, B! 

Walking down that corridor at University College Birmingham during the first few weeks of my first semester, I saw a sparkly Disney poster and it commanded my attention! Smashing that interview had me picking up my USA visa in my passport, touching down at Orlando McCoy International Airport brought the magic closer! My morning at the 'Disney University' was wild in the best way, the training was fine and with some kind of pixie dust floating about, I had complete confidence in myself! Assigned to the Future World North merchandise outlets at EPCOT had me out of the craziness because I had a special calmness with that futuristic park! It was the World Showcase, I loved that international corner with those pavilions! Yes, I had to pinch myself as I wished those Walt Disney guests 'a magical day!' Meeting people from the Caribbean, Latin America and South America had me listening to a lot of Spanish! Taking me to a workplace only those Intern would ever know, I was able to let go of reality for those 11 weeks! 

My shifts lasted no longer than 6 hours, I found myself working from afternoon till closing time. At first I really didn't enjoy giving up my evenings but by hook or by crook, I was able to attend a handful of 'after hours' events. I loved working at Gateway Gifts, the telephone would allow me to call the automated 'Happy Birthday' wish from Goofy because I could! I had the chance to also work alongside interns who were from the four corners of the United States, different personalities blessed my shifts because each state served different qualities. Yes, most shifts I loved working with Zach from Oklahoma, we would 'Merchentain' with Minnie Mouse ears because we could! Oh not the light-show cart, that movable merchandise stand did not impress me much! The 'Strollers and ECV' station was a real laugh, who knew that sanitising strollers and parking ECVs would be so much fun? Knowing when 'IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth' had finished, that was when we prepared for the rush of strollers to be returned! Oh, memories!

That airport transfer dropped me off at Chatham Square Apartments on the evening of June 25th 2011, I was not ready for this apartment introduction! Our housing cards hadn't yet been processed at that point, luckily I had been assigned a room without any issues. Blasting Lady GaGa and bounding around the apartment as he got ready for his 21st birthday celebrations, that was Zach Allstatt but I would address him as Zach Airstarr! He was named after a trainer? To him that was called a sneaker! Two Interns had to share a room, I shared with a guy called Chris who was from Peoria, Illinois. Chris was a 'Character Performer' with connections to 'Woody' and 'Goofy!' He even became friends with 'Dr. Facilier!' Student halls in England the previous year had been cushy, I had to learn to share a room in Orlando but things were so busy the apartment became such a small part of the experience. Zach also worked in 'Merchandise' like I would be, we'd see each other most days! Mr. Airstarr would become a friend for life! Yes, boo!

Chatham Square, that trick knows many of my secrets! Innocent to life at that point, my first overseas residence had me discovering away from my Merchandise shifts at EPCOT's Future World North! Social media apps, curiosity and perhaps the confidence to try something new, no there would be nothing new going on because I knew exactly! Away from England, life had me looking towards a certain Puerto Rican delight! I had that island addiction but in the best way! Let me tell you, the term 'Magical' wasn't just restricted to the Disney Parks because Chatham Square had me making my own 'Prince Charming' experiences with a hint of 'you don't need to know the rest!' Did I mention Puerto Rico? I knew from those intense moments that my interactions with that island wouldn't be for nothing, that 'enchanted' vibe found me! No, Chatham Square had me clocking up those experiences, ensuring that I would never live in another community housing complex like it again! Orlando! That trick kept it 100% at all times! 

Being aged under 21 years old during that Summer 2011 Disney Program wasn't a mood but I made the best of my nighttime experiences. I would go out for dinner with my UK based friends and then other nights would see me out and about with my U.S based friends. Reflecting on the lack of alcohol in my life during that point, it did put me in my feelings but I had to learn how to have fun without booze! Many evenings would be spent on the Disney property, I have memories when I visited the beach at the Ploynesian Village Resort. Beaches & Cream Ice Cream Parlour had my heart, truly the peanut butter ice cream tasted amazing but the 'Kitchen Sink' had us feeling stuffed! Firework nights had me occupied, the evening spent at the Grand Floridian allowed us to all see the fireworks perfectly. All connected by the Intern bus services, we had no worries about getting back to our apartments. Of course, Downtown Disney featured but things had to also stay sober whilst the party continued! A sober night-out at the club!? Yes, USA! Go! 

Getting our best looks together, me, Zach and Alexis headed out for the night from Chatham Square. We headed towards 'Pulse' a Gay nightclub that would hit the headlines in 2016 due to a horrific act of domestic terrorism. Heading into Pulse had me feeling something else entirely, with zero alcohol onboard, everything was magnified! Dancing and positively loving that nightclub experience had me hooked on that moment, I actually loved my sober night! Heading over to Denny's for some late-night food had to be done, everything fell into place that night! Returning to Orlando in January 2013 saw me, Zach and Dawin out on the town, we wanted to celebrate life that weekend! For some reason we swerved 'Pulse' in favour for 'Parliament House'. Fast forward to June 2016, I was then in Wuhan, China and had no idea about what events would unfold at 'Pulse!' A shooting? A massacre? Yes, carnage and bloodshed rained over Pulse in the worst way! My heart broke, my night of joy was a light in the dark. That's a feeling! 

That Floridian Feeling! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

  1. So many experiences, some I am sure that were quite life changing in many ways -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment