A Place Like... Ludlow, England!

Ludlow called my name, it had been a town that I had wanted to visit for some time. With a medieval looking style, I tried to get down to this Shropshire town at the beginning of October in 2022 but rail strikes forced me to cancel that booking. Not admitting defeat, I re-booked those 'Transport For Wales' tickets from Wolverhampton for a later date. Ludow, let's get this done! 

There was something that I had to see, those first photos of Ludlow had me curious about knowing more! Of course, I made my way towards Broad Street & High Street with such 16th century architecture in full view. My journey to Ludlow from Wolverhampton didn't take long but due to certain infrastructure, I found myself changing trains at Shrewsbury. Regardless, I loved the period features that Ludlow served me from the moment that I set foot onto that train platform. I had no desire to visit the Ludlow Museum neither the Butter Cross, originally built in 1746 as a market hall, I appreciated that view from the outside in. Broad Street served 'black and white' medieval style frontages, those shop fronts looked pretty expensive, with a restricted budget I decided to stay away and again appreciate them from the outside. I even heard a street player, playing suitably medieval tunes, had I been transported back in time? Ludlow allowed me to experience a dosage of culture and history and with thanks I appreciated that! Thanks, L! 

You already know that 14th century Realness was being served with Ludow's 'Ye Olde Bull Ring Tavern', from the exterior I felt as if my recent viewing of 'Shakespeare In Love' had me questioning my 2022 time-frame. Market Street had me think that I was walking down a historical lane situation, I took in all of those 'bakery' and 'butcher shop' views in real-time. Walking through that 'alley-like' street brought me out into Castle Square. I could already tell that Ludlow wasn't going to be at my price range for food and drink but I wasn't mad because those cutesy views impressed me much. Ludlow's Castle Square gave me certain memories of my 2014 Warwick visit, serving a certain English Market Town appearance. That Friday moment allowed me to witness an open air market, getting into that cultural moment I did not feel or see the need to spend any paper or plastic! Ludlow had me clocking all kinds of medieval themes, you know this Shropshire based town had me appreciating my current U.K location. Get it right! 

This Royal Highness of a Shropshire town had a certain fortification to show me, Ludlow called the shots! Dating back to 1066, this castle served as an actual working fortress with 'William FitzOsbern, 1st Earl of Hereford' calling the shots! Was this some kind of Norman Conquest situation? Yes, as Norman influence became the new craze, a series of castle buildings took place with Ludlow submitting those planning papers! After my visit to Ludlow, I have educated myself to know Ludlow Castle had an advantageous position on higher grounds with both the River Teme and Corve keeping those former Welsh Border troublemakers from Ludlow's royal abode! Baby, you already know that Ludlow wasn't in any trouble! Much than just a castle, Ludlow's own became something of a hub for rule with many houses ruling from this Shropshire fortress. Extending their services to become ever the Elizabethan residence! My visit to Ludlow Castle was cost effective, allowing me to soak up those castle vibes without any competition! Rule on! 

Arriving just after dinnertime, I practically had the castle grounds to myself! Appreciating that rare sunshine moment, I enjoyed walking around the Ludlow Castle. Of course, my pre-trip research had impressed me, pint-sized and ready, I didn't have anything to worry about. I tried to brave those vertigo fears but half way up those super steep steps were enough for me. I was impressed with how much of the castle stood preserved, even more alive was 'Castle Square' with that farmers market in full swing. Stacked naturally, Ludlow served something truly intangible because nothing about that castle looked rebuilt! No, would I lie to you! Searching for 'Whitcliffe Common Nature Reserve', Ludlow deserved to be clocked from the centre with the quickness! Making my way toward the 'River Teme', I definitely noticed a certain lunchtime hype, people done going with their day nicely! I don't like no 'mix up', Ludlow had me on the right track with me noticing those 16th century built houses! Was Ludlow Castle the baddest of them all? Baby! 

Sitting down with a beautiful view of the castle with the 'River Teme' impressed me immensely, not just much! I had a good half an hour to myself with that view, but a certain ascending stone stairway had already caught my attention! There was a riverside pub but I had another wicked idea for later on! Ludlow, were you trying to get me into trouble? I was done with sitting down, taking each step with an unfit pant, I made my way to the top of that nature reserve elevation point. Getting a sense of autumn had me feeling every bit of my Scorpio self, you already know that this is my season! Those squirrel friends darted across my path, already in my head I had the words of dear Mama RuPaul in my head and heart! Ludlow already done had herses! Descending onto some country lane? Yes, I had to stick to one side without any pavement present! Don't get this twisted, the views over the Shropshire countryside looked good from that higher point but they hit different once I was able to peer over those hedges! English Realness! 

Did Ludlow want to see me walk? Oh, that hill back into the town centre had me sweating! Ludlow tried to talk that talk, all eyes on those premium priced meals, I wasn't bitter choosing that 'SUBWAY ' sandwich! I was about to dog walk those prices but I understood the catchment of the town, I had loved the medieval look of the town but nothing had me excited about spending pounds instead of pennies, I won't say 'sorry'. 'Ludlow Brewery' had my back, she already knew that I was feeling thirsty as I contemplated that pre-train ride drink! I had just enough time to enjoy two pints of their 'Blonde' craft beer, even a cheeky packet of pork scratchings had my attention! Getting away from the West Midlands never felt so good, having my lungs exposed to fresh air felt more than correct! Heading back for Wolverhampton via Shrewsbury fronted me with some Great British railway issues, I need the efficiency of China's own back in my life! Shropshire done came and saved me from my WV boredom, thanks babes! 

Ludlow, Call Me! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments