Music: Cuban Beats, A Dominican Diva & Maluma, Baby!

Languages are my passion, forevermore they will continue to be so! 'Music' will always be a way for me to immerse myself within a new language, such Spanish music from around the world hits different! From 'Cuba', to the 'Dominican Republic' with 'Colombia' considered, I can't wait to express my love for this form of culture! ¡BB, qué letras tan picantes! Me encanta esta música!

Naively, I had never listened to Cubaton before 2020! Deep into the first official Lockdown during May 2020, I stumbled upon 'Hasta Que Se Seque El Malecón' by 'Jacob Forever'. I had no idea how listening to that song would blow my mind, giving me a new genre of 'Music'. Stuck at home after the government told us to, the sights and sounds of 'Havana, Cuba' came to be a regular sight on my computer screen! Escapism this turned out to be, the upbeat vibes served by 'Jacob Forever' had me learning some new Spanish words. What was a 'Malecón?' I wanted to know more! That song title translated to English as 'Until The Boardwalk Dries Up', so that harbourside road had a meaning that I could understand. I have now fully translated this song but what is Jacob implying about the 'Malecón' drying up? The water or something else? That is the question! The Cubaton style had me wanting to listen more, for that first choice I will be thankful for that primary YouTube suggestion. I will visit Havana to see 'El Malecón'. ¡Vamos! 

No Más Mentiras/No More Lies! Who stands as the deceitful party? A second song by 'Jacob Forever' was brought to my attention due the same period as the first had done. This being the remix, I listened along with 'El Uniko' & 'El Micha' on the beat. The translation had me wondering which side these Cuban rappers/singers are on? The woman always seems to be the scandalous one, the party that makes the most mistakes! But why? The lie is on her lips and after the liaison? She has already moved on without a second thought for the wounded male counterpart. Both songs give me the essence that Jacob persists he's for the single life but when it suits him and his vibe, then a woman for the moment will suffice. Tell me all the lies, I am here for a bit of spice because these Cuban beats give me life! Of course, the infectious and upbeat nature of his 'Cubaton' hits allow me to know how to not talk to a lover. Affairs of the heart? It's more like a life lesson! ¿Qué le hizo ella realmente? Lockdown needed some culture, sorted that! 

Representing the Dominican Republic on VH1's 'Love & Hip Hop', 'Amara La Negra's' work came to my attention through 'YouTube' with another helpful suggestion. This American born Afro-Latina has worked very hard for her riches with her 'Las Royal Twins' making her a mom! From 'Music' to film, 'La Negra' has been on many television shows within the Spanish speaking world in the United States, those I have not seen but know of from doing my reading. Amara has a back-catalogue that boasts bilingualism at its core, equal measure has been placed with her attention to both Spanish and English. Even though I haven't seen La Negra on U.S television, I am aware of her campaigning to breakdown the prejudice against dark-skinned Latinas within the entertainment industry. Aside from her musical presence, Amara works hard to highlight topics such as 'colourism' and 'eurocentrism' within the Latin community. Her campaigning saw her gain recognition, pushing her career into the American market. ¡La negra es mejor! Oh, yes! 

'Sé Que Soy' by 'Amara La Negra' took me on an actual journey, the music video painted a pretty stark picture! Being the only woman for him outside of his marriage, the lyrics in Spanish clearly conveyed this love-affair arrangement holds passion. Passion by an immeasurable quantity, with 'Negra' posing as the 'house-maid' the link with her light-skinned married male lover screams he wants to fulfill a fantasy. I know that with 'Amara's' words to fight against colourism, the video for 'Sé Que Soy' highlighted that in real-terms that such an arrangement demeans Afro-Latina women. Referring to herself as 'Negra' in the lyrics suggested that her being darker shouldn't perpetuate the view of darker-skinned Latina women as sex-objects. Her lyrics broke it down, stating she didn't require chocolates nor dedicated songs, getting straight to the point with lyrics many Latino male artists would use. 'Insecure?' I love that song! I'm sure that 'Amara La Negra' will keep on entertaining and breaking down barriers! I really ought to watch 'Love & Hip Hop!' 

Hailing from the island of 'Cuba', 'Srta Dayana' makes one of the top spots when it comes to 'female power' within my Cuban music choices! Expressing a strong desire to never see a certain person again, well that Cuban style banger oozes 'female empowerment' against abusive men! 'Que Ganas de No Verte Nunca Mas' meaning 'I Never Want To See You Again', recounts the courage and strength taken to leave through the door. With the video showcasing a tirade of abuse, the empowering 'letras' tell us that at whatever cost 'Srta Dayana's' portrayal shows a woman who gets her degree and leaves that abusive house! Glamourised but with a very real message, I am here for the references. Tu sabe? You know! Oh, I do! 'No Voy A Llorar Por Ti/I'm Not Going To Cry For You' is my go-to break-up song, you know I don't care what the lyrics mean in English because it's such a feel good anthem! No, I won't be shedding any tears over a man! Period! There's just something so feel good about listening to 'Srta Dayana's' music. Sola?

Yearning for some freedom, 'Sola' narrates the trials of a young woman who wants to lead a single life, free from her boyfriend. Proclaiming that she just wants to run free to party with her friends but simply the jealousy shown from her boyfriend makes it quite impossible. Fed up with the constant calls, 'Sola' serves an unapologetic tone, 'Srta' just wants to switch off her phone so those possessive calls don't disturb those margaritas with the girls. She just wants to drink her cocktail! 'Usted?' Yes, that song is about a dead-beat man who played the game too many times before. Taking to the mic, 'Dayana' took the place of the already booked singer with known Cuban music artist, 'Chacal' in the audience with his current side-chick. Expressing 'this song is for you' without any qualms, that's a mood! I truly feel that listening to 'Srta Dayana's' music has allowed me to acquire more direct terms in spoken Spanish. Getting these translations in order has allowed me to fully understand more than just the songs title. I want new music from Srta!  

Maluma, baby! Where do I begin?! 'Mala Mía/My Bad' cues as a Pre-Pandemic Spanish banger by the Colombian beauty, 'Maluma'. Waking up late for his television show shoot, the unapologetic nature of this 'care-free' anthem allows for no apologises. Holding his hands up high, 'Maluma' lays it down on the table with a no mistakes policy, he just had a great time at the party! Rewinding the clock back to 2013, 'Maluma' released 'La Temperatura' with a baby faced appearance in that music video! Translated lyrics possessed a learnt energy, he wanted to turn the 'temperature' up, bagging the girls from whatever Latin or South American country. That 2013 music video certainly didn't boast the same budget that 'Mala Mía' would've cost, there's a sure fact this Colombian artist won't be going back to that production style. No! '11 PM' proves that the good girl doesn't want a mansion, she wants the edgy guy from the 'barrio!' The only right time for a proposal stands to be around '3 A.M in the morning, she knows this! Oh, Malu! 

'HP' takes things back to the fundamentals, the guy cheated and didn't value the woman that he was dating. Maluma scolded the guy, proclaiming him to be a 'bastard' who did not stay faithful, leaving much to be desired. A lot of Maluma's recent tracks carry full-packed videos with massive productions, there's always a high chance that he's parading himself around in a tank-top with his tattooed guns on displayed. I am here for it all! Ever the gentleman, I feel Maluma keeps things 100% to the point, he doesn't have the crass nature that many other Latino/South American male artists exude. He's cheeky with his words as a professed 'ladies man' but I can't deny that everything sounds better in Spanish! I could listen to Maluma all day long and during the nighttime also. Sure, he has done some great collaborations with artists like 'Anitta' and 'Madonna' but I'm paying mind to this Colombian work of art solely! I love the Spanish language more than my own English, there's no doubt about that, B! I'm looking towards P.R and Spain! 

¡Ay, Mi Corazón!

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments