Seoul, South Korea: After Hours!

Seoul was about to serve me an 'After Hours' experience that I wouldn't forget, I followed my senses for once! Embracing the night but with wiser choices made ensured I wouldn't wake up with any 'hangxiety' because those two previous South Korean trips had been foolish. I was about to experience my first ever 'South Korean Drag Revue' down some 'Rabbithole?' Oh, yes! 

I already knew that October 2023 would be my last rodeo within Itaewon's 'Foreigner Corner. The only thing that was broken was my bag, I had been travelling with that little black pleather moment since 2019! Getting myself checked into the same hostel, I readied myself for the night ahead. I kind of had a timeline to follow but that tentative schedule was meant to be broken because Seoul does it differently, in a good way I must add! Like an assault on my senses, those brightly lit alleys had me bamboozled because people were literally in every direction. I pledged to myself that at least 90% of the food consumed throughout that comeback trip would be of a Korean nature. Proceeding quick, I chose a Korean BBQ place because the alternative did not have pictures displaying the meals and to be honest I didn't vibe with that first place. I had not even had anything alcoholic to drink at that point, I was about to change that dry situation! Bulgogi, who? Bulgogi Korean Beef look like something interesting to me. S, I kept it all Korean! 

2018 and 2019 me would not have recognised 2023 me, I embraced that Korean foodie moment with Itaewon by my side. I loved the beef but not so much the Kimchi because that was fiery! The black beans were surprisingly tasty, I trusted that rice to line my stomach because rice is life! I approved of that Bulgogi Korean Beef choice, what did I have to drink though? Now, I was expecting flavoured Soju to be in their fridges but I chose to drink a 'Fresh' variation. Basically this Korean spirit tasted like straight up spring water from a babbling brook, that Korean booze certainly was boozy! Keeping time on my side, I finished up my meal and Soju respectfully. Heading out of that Korean food place left me feeling accomplished, I knew that I had checked a key point off my checklist for the trip. Itaewon was a lot, I felt that those bright lights had been turned up a few notches! It felt correct to be back within that party central area in Seoul, South Korea! Bye, 2019! Making my first South Korean Drag show a reality, I headed underground! 

Line 6 took me one stop from Itaewon/이태원역 to Noksapyeong/녹사평역, upon exiting 'Noksapyeong' I walked for about fifteen before I arrived at my destination. I had scouted down this venue on Instagram because with 'Drag Race South Korea' on the cards, you already know I needed to see how the Seoul girls work it! Paying my door entrance at the 'Rabbithole', I knew that I had missed the first rotation of queens! Making mine a very large one, I found a space in the crowd to catch a glimpse of a very Korean looking Drag performance! I loved that 'traditional' number, I wanted to experience that section of Korean Drag the most! The host had me laughing a lot, her comedic timing was bang on the money each time! I was able to get closer to the front as the night progressed. I was able to see a couple of queens perform that night, all of them impressed me much! Drunk Text? No, I did not send any inebriated messages! That was one of the queens on the line-up! 'Drunk Text' was my favourite queen of the night! Oh, Seoul! 

Not knowing anybody else, I took to the dancefloor during the interval because I had arrived at the end of the first set. Filling up my cup was the right thing to do, it felt like a celebratory moment to be back in Seoul that Saturday night! I noticed that the whole club was practically American, I was pleasantly surprised to get talking to some people from England briefly. There's nothing like hearing some of your own getting on with a good night out amongst a sea of Americans, no really! After a shed load of new responsibilities at work, it felt like I had broke free from that epic month post-new semester. Seoul's Rabbithole wasn't exactly located in Itaewon but that made things more special, I had to venture out of the noise to find something different. I definitely hope to see some of those Rabbithole queens on an upcoming season of 'Drag Race South Korea' in the future! From a plane, to my hostel then to a restaurant, I was ready for another bar! My choice to shelve the sauna had been the best sacrifice made! Truly, S! 

My previous Itaewon nightspots had been on 'Homo Hill' but I was about to find a hidden gem that was just down the lane from my hostel. A 24 hour bar? Yes! No ride hailing taxis were available for me on the way back from that bar, I walked back the way where the train had made one station stop seem much faster! By utter chance I decided to have a night cap at the bar captured above, don't ask me the name of that bar because really it doesn't matter. No! That first afternoon, evening and night had been full-on, I was feeling the night catch up with me at that point. I enjoyed probably two beers in that dubious looking all-night/all-day bar because I wanted to take a risk of a different kind. That bar really left an impression on me, I would be back to continue this 'After Hours' experience the following night. Suitably satisfied after my experience at H's, I eventually ended up back at that very same 24/7 watering hole. Everything didn't go from wrong to right because it was all good, I felt humbled. Oh, allow me to backtrack. 

Done with my 'sober' visit to H's, I ventured up 'Homo Hill' to a bar that I had frequented during my 2019 birthday night out trip. Upon ordering my second drink the guy behind the bar shaded my 50,000 Won note, I resided that my money would be better spent elsewhere. After a bottle of Soju on the street, I decided to head back to that same 'forever open' bar. The night went from 'no change sir' to the best one 'ever' because there was no attitude. I became part of the bar and that was fine, those drinks were much cheaper than that judgy 'Homo Hill' hangout and that suited me swell. I saw all of the same faces, I even had some woman pass me half of a chicken kebab wrap! I actually loved my life in that bar, it was the people's bar and I had no issue with that! It wholeheartedly reminded me of a 'Wetherspoons' for the cheap booze and colourful characters! Seoul had me rethinking those two previous visits, I had finally grown up with a renewed sense of myself. Seoul knew that I had my ish together, I was fine! Seoul, I was drunk! 

Sober In Seoul? God, No! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments