Flying High... Asiana Airlines!

Upgrading my 'Greater China Area' flight to Hong Kong from Mainland China, it was time to return to Seoul, South Korea. Choosing Asiana Airlines felt like a natural thing to do, I wanted to experience Korea's other airline before the merger took place with Korean Air. K-ETA, who? Forget 'Flying High' because I was flying 'stressed!' From Shanghai PVG to Seoul ICN, I was fine!

Booking this flight back in August 2023 for the same October saw me paying an almighty hiked price, to be honest I wanted to fly with Asiana Airlines so that was my own choice entirely. Being my first flight out of Shanghai Pudong since that midnight flight to London Heathrow via Moscow Sheremetyevo, I needed to break that absence! After staying at a nearby hotel within reach to Pudong Airport, I was able to check-in into my Asiana Airlines flight over to Seoul Incheon. I had not cared to check the UK.gov website to review the entry requirements for British citizens who're travelling to the Republic of Korea. What on earth was a 'K-ETA?' I had the fear good and proper because I had bargained that proceedings would be like 2018 all over again. By some stroke of luck, I was able to find out that 2023 had been the 'Year Of Travel' for Korea. The need for a K-ETA had been eroded for British citizens until 2024. Counting my lucky stars, even my China Health Declaration Code wasn't even checked! Oh, it was a lesson for me! 

Boarding loomed, everything seemed to be on-time. I had found myself on another lunchtime Seoul bound flight from China. It had been the first time since 2019 that such a trip had been possible, I was grateful for that Asiana Airlines moment. Polishing off that much needed pint of IPA, I saw my own Airbus A330-300 taxi past that Terminal 2 departures window. The gate had recently been changed, I was on the tail of that newly assigned gate with speed applied. Boarding started on time, it was amazing to be heading overseas once again from China since having arrived only a few months previous from that three year hiatus in England. It was amazing not having to wear a mask, I don't like them and to be sitting on that Korean bound flight mask-free was amazing! Done with the Pandemic, it felt like an actual privilege to be back in the skies once again! My aisle seat on the left side of the cabin was next to the window seat, I was impressed with my assigned seat. Up in the clouds me and Asiana went on our way to Seoul's Incheon Intl! 

I already had selected my in-flight entertainment option because that super short flight over the Yellow Sea would literally fly by! Even before take-off, I knew that 'Ditto' would be the film for me! Remembering my very first departure to Korea from China, I had watched a crime focused 'K-Drama', already I knew that something lighter would suit for that third departure. I quickly got into that 'high school' focused Korean film, I had to really concentrate because the English subtitles were my absolute guide throughout. The film had me fooled because I thought it was all about a 'boy meets girl' kind of situation, something told me that this film would have a little bit more to it. 'Kim Yong' went about his business with his future undecided, in this parallel setting he was about to meet 'Kim Mu-nee' through a college radio system. Yong had gone to university with 'Kim Mu-nee's' dad as his best friend with a possible love triangle developed with 'Kim Mu-nee's own mom being his first love. Totally invested, I was getting pretty confused! A, I loved it! 

Affairs of the heart impacted 'Kim Yong' with his whirlwind romance popping off with 'Kim Hye-yoon' as he was retaking another year at that engineering university. His then friend, 'Bae In-hyuk' was about to muscle in on his best mates blossoming romance, changing the course of everything! 'Kim' and 'Bae' had been pioneers, they had managed to get a wireless radio station up and running around the university, little did 'Yong' know that his first loves daughter was about to contact him. A young university student had been told about her dad and friends project as she had found herself at that same university, this time travelling film saw me keeping my eyes peeled like never before! 'Kim' knew to step back but he made his feelings clear to 'Kim Hye-yoon' as she embarked on that all important relationship with 'Bae In-hyuk'. With my Asiana Airlines flight only lasting seventy or so minutes, I was barely able to finish the film but before touch down I was able to do so! The film entertained, I loved hearing Korean again! SK! 

I didn't know what to think of the food that was served to me onboard that Asiana Airlines flight. I wasn't expecting an awful lot because some reviews had been 'luke-warm' to say the very least. I had truly been spoiled on that original Korean Air flight in 2018 from Beijing Capital International Airport. That chicken dish sufficed, I was actually quite hungry because breakfast had been pitiful. I wasn't sure what kind of chicken dish it was? We had all been served the same option, it wasn't very good that I hadn't been given a choice! Nevertheless, the food wasn't bad it just wasn't delicious. I wasn't sure what the ice cream scoop looking thing was? I didn't try that accompaniment because it looked like some kind of salad. That was a question! The muffin was the best thing about it. Oh, the water and Coke were the only drinks served with that meal. It appeared that alcohol wasn't part of the service? No! I wasn't expecting a lot but at least a couple of cans of Korean lager, well I wanted that! Maybe the merger will be for the best? Not sorry, A! 

The crew were kept busy by the short flight time, their presence through the cabin was brief. I knew that a photo with one of the cabin crew wouldn't happen because Korean Air served the same energy. I wasn't mad because most of the crew members were still wearing face masks, that I wasn't going to judge them for. It was a shame that no-alcoholic were served during that short flight from China to Korea, I knew that a longer flight would need to happen. As my Asiana Airlines flight made its final approaches into Seoul's Incheon International Airport, I was about to find out that all of my stress had been for nothing. Safely on the ground in Seoul, my Asiana Airlines flight taxied over to our gate with no urgency placed because that airport was huge! I had only ever flown into Gimpo Airport, a much smaller airport when Incheon's used as a comparison. Not Asiana's fault, Incheon's size really put Gimpo out in the cold! Disembarked and ready to go, Asiana might have seen the last of me. No shade, Asiana! Good luck merging! 

I had visions that Korean Immigration were going to refuse me entrance to South Korea because I had not applied for a 'K-ETA'. I was completely bugging out, I had never been so paranoid crossing a border. Well, I won't go into that story for obvious reasons. Just like 2018, I was given a small sticker in my passport that allowed me entry for 90 days for tourism purposes. Cleared, a wave of relief washed over me! I felt like more than relieved that I was able to cross that borderline without any issues. Low-key, those immigration lines were long and the wait really didn't do my anxiety any good at all. With my passport stamped, I was able to find my bag within a few moments. The size of that arrivals hall didn't overwhelm me but I much preferred the compact nature of Gimpo. Asiana Airlines had got me to Seoul in one piece and the border force had cleared me onto Korean soil, happy days! It felt amazing to be back in South Korea after such a long time away, it felt quite strange having arrived into ICN. Now for the train to 서울!  

It didn't take me long before I found the AREX express train entrance, the walk from arrivals to that point was really easy to navigate. It felt like I had come 'home' for some reason, it felt correct to be back on that city centre bound train. My whole Asiana Airlines was brief but it was nice to make that previously flown one way flight from 2019 back from Seoul to Beijing feel well-rounded with that outbound sector added on. Getting into my groove with a Shanghai Pudong departure has definitely put me in good stead for my upcoming Malaysia and Philippines trips. Sure, the food wasn't the best and no booze could be found in Economy Class but I got where I needed to be and on time! Let's keep things international from now on, domestic doesn't sound right to me when we're talking about 'Flying High!' Here's to checking those requirements, not to forget that the China Health Declaration Code has been scrapped! Yes, I need to get into more films like 'Ditto' because they're the ultimate escape! Here's to getting a crew selfie next time! 

Keep Flying Boo! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments