Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner... Seoul, South Korea!

Taking this blog series outside of the Greater China Area after sojourns in Hong Kong and Wuhan, I was excited to see what Seoul would bring to 'Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner! Taking things slower wasn't an option but that 'Egg Drop' breakfast challenged me. The temple calmed me during lunchtime but you know dinner at 'Gwangjang Market' was amazing! Seoul served!

Breakfast was destined to be an 'egg' related affair, either 'Egg Slut' or 'Egg Drop' would be one of my choices. With a late breakfast on the cards, I left my Itaewon hostel around 10 A.M to still see revellers from the night before still on the street in a rather inebriated state. I had done myself proud by getting to bed before at least 2 A.M that morning with the intention to make the most of my only full day to be spent in Seoul. I took a right turn on the main street, heading towards Anguk Station in mind. Even now I can't even fathom how I was going to walk all that way? Taking the Subway a few stations along the line took me to the closest branch of 'Egg Drop' because I had already researched about Seoul's popular egg breakfast sandwich. I ordered with English used as the main language, I thought everything was understood but a little miscommunication was encountered. I wasn't mad, it was just busy and I was feeling super hungry with a slight hangover present. SK, Egg Drop was an absolute Seoul sandwich sensation! 

I ordered 'Mr Egg' because it was the cheapest sandwich on the menu, I wasn't about to break the bank for a sandwich, no thanks! Yes, that mild state of alcohol related dehydration required a large 'Americano' to caffeine me the heck up! Egg Drop tried me but I took a deep breath because I knew I was just in need of sustenance. The place was absolutely packed out, I went upstairs with my tray to find a seat. By hook or by crook I was able to hoover up my breakfast sandwich and coffee, it was no joke how busy that pint-size eatery was! I loved my Egg Drop sandwich, it was just enough and the stodge I needed to keep me moving! The coffee lasted a bit longer because it was hot, I usually go for an iced coffee to ensure the caffeine hits quicker! Seoul had me feeling something different, I wasn't as hungover like previous mornings back in 2018 or 2019, I was able to make breakfast finally happen! Onwards and upwards, I headed towards Seoul's Bukchon Hanok Village to take care of some unfinished business. Jogyesa Temple, who?

I had just finished my long overdue reunion with Seoul's Bukchon Hanok Village with new photos securely saved in my iPhone! The heat of the day was really getting to me, I had been doing the most with much to execute, I wasn't going to leave any crumbs! I shelved those lunch plans because I was fed culturally at Seoul's own Jogyesa Temple, delicious that visit was! Those October settings were in full force, I took it easy at the temple, it was lovely to just have a little walk around the grounds. People were also orderly going about their sightseeing business with the temple and towering glass and steel office buildings as an almighty juxtapose. I knew nothing about this darling Korean Buddhist temple, that didn't matter to me because it was easy on the eye. Of course, I am a sucker for aesthetics! I felt like I was in no rush, I leisurely walked around the temple grounds with my photos slowly snapped. It was a blessed moment. Alright, I need to take some time to learn about this temple, let me have a look! Lunchtime is everything! 

Built in 1395, Jogyesa Temple used to be known as 'Gakhwangsa Temple'. During the Japanese Colonial Period, the temple became one of the strongest fortresses of Korean Buddhism. Later reading has informed me that this Korean temple formed a resistance against the Japanese Colonialists. Little did I know that wood from 'Paektu Mountain' had been used to make the (Daeungjeon) Main Buddha Hall. For me those facts add some body to my visit because I was in too much of rush to care, I did sit down for about fifteen minutes with the whole temple area in my view, sure I soaked it all up! This temple allowed me to cross a different road after I had finished up with Buckhon Hanok Village, that afforded me the chance to see more of that area that wasn't completely aimed towards the tourists. Being sober for once, well that enabled me to be more present. 2018 me in Seoul didn't have the concentration nor capability to sustain the pace that 2023 was smashing! Dinnertime needed to happen, I knew where I needed to go!  

I had brushed past the oldest and largest traditional market in South Korea earlier that day, of course I'm talking about 'Gwangjang Market'. I had wanted to try some Korean food at this market for the longest time but I'll go into more detail in a future blog post. I didn't waste anytime because I was starving, no I actually was that hungry! The crowds were overwhelming but I stayed focused, I knew what I wanted to eat! Getting my head in the game, I found myself a market stall with a spare seat up for grabs. I ordered one portion of 'Tteok-bokki/떡볶이' and some 'Gimbap/김밥'. I had tried 'Tteok-bokki' twice before that 2023 Gwangjang Market moment, I knew that I needed to make up for 2018 and 2019 because I didn't eat any Korean food other than 'Korean Fried Chicken/치킨'. Ordering a can of 'Cass' beer had to be done, I had decided to be sensible by leaving 'Soju/소주' for later on! Honestly, choosing beer over a hard liquor made me feel proud of myself, I had made another positive alcohol related choice. Yes, S!

For me, that dinnertime experience was much more than just the food. I was able to sit within a predominately Korean crowd with some fellow foreigners in the background. I really enjoyed my Korean early dinner, sitting in that spot made me feel very accomplished. Both meal choices tasted great, I branched out and made sure that no foodie stone would be left un-turned. The Korean ladies who operated the stalls were working hard because the market was crazy busy, for reference I will refer to them as 'Ajumma/아줌마'. In English, 'Ajumma' refers to a woman who might be old enough to be a Grandma? Let's leave the question mark in the previous sentence because I'm not here to offend those hard working Korean women from the market. I feel that Seoul's 'The Third Strike' deserves enough time for my 'Gwangjang Market' experience to be fully explained. Nevertheless, my visit to Gwangjang Market served a mighty fine dinnertime meal. There we have it, Seoul proudly has its own serving of 'Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner! Eat it!

Eating Is Not Cheating!

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments