I'm Officially In... My Lisbon Era!

Feeling refreshed from my epic post-flight sleep, I was back out on those Lisbon cobbles with the quickness! The weather was sublime and those sightseeing offerings were giving! I was most definitely in 'My Lisbon Era!' Of course, I clocked the 'Miradouro de Santa Luzia' and turned back time at 'Castelo de São Jorge!' Sim, Lisbon kept on serving more! I was spoiled for choice!

Best believe, I wanted to snatch all of those views but after breakfast I had my first beer of the day on my mind! Heading in the same direction that I had the previous day, that very same hill served another couple of yellow trams for my entertainment. I was thankful for that 9 in the morning time because the temperature hadn't fully risen, I was in luck! On my way up that very same hill, I bumped into 'Sé de Lisboa' with respect paid in photo form. I wanted more, the cathedral wasn't what I was looking for, deep down I knew where I was walking towards. I had waited so long, it had been a dream to revisit Portugal on my own steam after going to one of the resorts on the coast as a boy. I was right where I was supposed to be, with that said I found Lisbon's 'Miradouro de Santa Luzia'. An open mind needed to be had because those cruise ships were slap bang in the middle of my desired vista, I wasn't mad if truth be told. That observation deck was about to get my day started, I was more than ready to soak in those views! Lisbon life! 

Stood beneath the sweeping pergolas transported me to another place, to a place where only the beauty of the view mattered! Capturing an effortless vista wasn't easy for me, the tightly packed houses set the scene perfectly, it was one of those 'Wish You Were Here' moments! Teamed with the hanging greenery, I had no complaints about that majestic Lisbon view even though that huge cruise ship tried to dominate that part of the 'Tagus River'. I spent a few minutes luxuriating in that moment because in China I don't get to see such 'European' views, I wanted to bottle that view! Heading up the hill, I wanted to find a certain 'St. George's Castle' but needed to have a little refreshment break, that ice cold 'Super Bock' was calling me! It was most certainly 'Beer O'Clock!' I was lucky enough to get another snapshot of that 'mirror like' situation, that I was very grateful for! I uttered the words to myself; 'Should I move here?' I really considered that to be a serious thought. Had I researched that part of the day? No, I was literally winging it! 

Lisbon hadn't yet informed me that a series of super steep hills would challenge my then unfit state, no it wasn't like walking those steps at my kindergarten to my then K3 classroom! No! It was still pretty early on, with the help of my mobile data and maps, I was able to find the right track. Being less of a track, I scaled that hill to find an open square that hadn't yet come to life, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and kept walking. Yet again, I trusted those Lisbon city streets to show me my second landmark of that morning! St. George's Castle was easy to access, the crowds stayed back because those other tourists were making a mess of their ticket lines, they played on their time but not on mine! I started my visit by walking along one of the stone paths, surrounded by the former fortification that served a whole lot of ruins, I got my life! Views? I wasn't ready for that panoramic view of Lisbon with my final point of interest staring me in the face before lunchtime had hit! I wasn't there for a history lesson, I wanted visuals! Soak it up, L! 

St. George's own castle saw me 'Living My Life' in Lisbon, you already know that I channeled that famous song by RuPaul! I was gagged by those incredible views, Lisbon really knew what to show me and I was only getting started! Yes, I had Lisbon in the palm of my hand with every story visible to me, the uphill climb was worth every pace! I don't look to a god but in that moment, I truly believed that something higher had led me to that heaven-sent viewpoint! Heights? I barely know her! I had not a qualm with the height of the castle, no vertigo was felt because those stone walkways felt like an anchor. I completely forgot about the previous academic year with every confidence my holiday would be the medicine I needed. I had to keep it moving, making my way down towards the historic 'Alfama' centre, those winding alleys made me want to buy a property quick-snap! I was feeling a city square and a spot of lunch, that morning beer had been sweated out! Oh, I saw Mother! A certain RuPaul record that I did clock! 

Heading back down to ground level felt correct, I had much more to see and needed something to eat and drink. I had been patiently waiting to have my moment with Lisbon's own 'Praça do Comércio' because I had given her the cold shoulder the previous day! Now, there was no malice between myself and this ocean facing square because I wanted this interaction to not be marred with any jet lag whatsoever! I had been eyeing up Portugal's largest square since those 'Lockdown' planning days, I made sure every pace around that square had purpose, I was considerate with my time. I saw the 'Tagus' in the distance when I stood facing those famous waters, this landmark landing point had been where dignitaries from far and wide would land from all corners of the globe. I lived for the rich yellow tones served on the main square buildings, they were used for processing former port taxes? Portugal once headed an empire that stretched the globe, this square would be an important location for those visiting vessels. Vai, L! 

Of course, I wanted to get the perfect photo of the square! You know with the iconic 'Arco Triunfal da Rua Augusta' in the background? You already knew that crane didn't impress me much! Who was the man on the horse? It was the 1775 statue of 'King José I', looking like he owned the place and that! The audacity of it all! I needed some lunch and another beverage because it was 5 o'clock somewhere in the world, not a dreg or crumb would remain! I felt very accomplished because my third place of the day had been clocked, I was making good time because I had much more to see during that first full day in Lisbon, Portugal! Lunch was a lovely plate of Portuguese cured meats and cheeses with a banging glass of Portuguese wine or two! It wasn't just the food that looked delectable, the waiter looked like a whole damn meal! Listening to my liver, I needed another drink but I would need to scale another hill or five before my next photo location would be accessible! I needed to do a little digging because that was just mean! 

Lisbon knew that I needed to finish this day out with another 'Miradouro!' Those cobblestone paved hills had made me lose my breath, I stopped by half way up to a possible 'jardim' spot. That caipirinha had healing properties, that was not a lie! I had little knowledge about my final daytime segment of that second outing in Lisbon, I kept an open mind. Lisbon's 'Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara' would not allow me to escape another show-stopping view of Lisbon's cityscape. I liked the fountain area, there was a certain European nature going on and I was loving every second of it! Those Hen and Stag parties were out daytime drinking without any trouble being caused, they were just out for a good time, I couldn't blame them! I saw 'Sagres' and knew that an ice cold pint would compliment that almost 'golden hour' view over Lisbon. I loved that elevated Lisbon viewpoint, there was a certain openness but keep those kids tried to steal my peace and quiet! 'Saint Peter of Alcântara' secured those views times ten, I wasn't mad! 

Lisbon had hooked me up with this viewpoint because I would be rubbing shoulders with it a lot later on! Let me just say, Lisbon served a very calm and cultured morning and afternoon out but she was about to let me have it good and proper, not that I would be telling her to stop! I loved that final viewpoint of the day, I finished my drink as Lisbon tried to be the angel of my dreams! For me, I needed to find something substantial to eat, I wanted something Brazilian but don't let me spoil that 'Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner' blog feature! So bittersweet? Maybe, so! From those first day flashbacks, the view over 'Alfama' was like no other, I was in heaven! The King of the castle? I prefer to be called a Queen! Fair and 'square', I loved 'Praça do Comércio' with its Colonial connection! Climbing for that caipirinha, Lisbon knew that I always have time for a cocktail! I was loving 'My Lisbon Era' to its fullest, every single facet knew it was going to love me! Don't talk to me about 'After Hours' because Lisbon saw me doing the most! Serving it, LX!

Belgium's Next! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure  

Comments

Popular Posts