Rollin' On The River... Portugal: Lisbon's Tagus!

Getting out of Lisbon's bustling centre had to be done, I had things to see away from those 'Alfama' streets! That glorious sunshine saw me eating those famous 'Pasteis de Nata', I didn't need to be envious! Lisbon's 'Tagus River' saw me learning about 'Belém District' as I drank along that famous riverfront, culture and history were galore! 'Jerónimos Monastery', who?  Oh!

All waters lead to Lisbon? Now, I was about to learn a lot about Lisbon's mighty 'Tagus River' within 'Belém District!' I had thus far stayed within Lisbon's very walk-able centre with no public transport necessary, that comfort zone was about to be tested with the bus used for the first and last time! Plain sailings? Yes, I was able to get off the bus within a respectable distance from my first point of interest. Clocking 'Padrão dos Descobrimentos/Monument of the Discoveries' set me on the right path, something told me that this monument was about to school me! Set along the northern bank of Tagus River estuary, the point where I stood hadn't been the starting point for those adventurous vessels. Those India and Orient journeys started further down the way, I loved the monument! I already had my August trip booked to 'Macao', did that riverside moment served something of a connection? It blooming well did! The weather was magic alongside that riverfront, it was like looking at an ocean view! Oh, such a blessing! 

Quite like the great adventures of the 15th and 16th centuries, I embraced the spirit of that monument with my own new discoveries as I walked on that unusually quiet part of Belém's Tagus tourist mile. I had a loose plan for the day ahead of me, I knew a famous 'bakery' led in the heart of Belém's centre and a certain tower also had a time to reclaim from me. I wanted to soak in that sunshine moment alongside the river, I had waited for a long time to see that stone monument! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to see that river during those depressing Lockdown days as I tried to see the possibility of a trip to Lisbon even being able to take place at all! Now, less of that emotional stuff because this monument was only 66 years old, I think the history behind did impress me much! Like those explorers who had been carved into that artistic display, I forged ahead with my day with a certain monastery set in my sights! Don't mention those trains because they weren't very easy to understand! B, I don't do paper tickets! 

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos? Was she about to play with my time? Miss Jerónimos wouldn't dare! I knew exactly what I wanted to see from those first moments spent in Lisbon, so much so I made sure a ticket was booked to see the mentioned monastery in Belém! Passing underneath the road presented a rather common sight, it was easy to see some city grit. I was feeling rather thirsty, I had gotten over my day long hungover state and was in hot pursuit of an ice cold beer even though it was about ten in the morning! I was in luck because a pizza van had just opened up, with those draft beer taps I was able to enjoy my first real drink of the day! I saw the late 'Portuguese Gothic Manueline style' former monastery with another darling road to cross, I had a reservation time before lunch and had heard that it was a pretty strict place to visit within regards to timings. The queue was long, I mean it was long! I almost thought that I wasn't going to make the time slot on my QR code but I thankfully did! Hearing those languages, it was great! 

I headed towards the 'cloisters' because it appeared to be a straight forward path from the entrance. I had mainly wanted to see the green centre of the cloister with the stunning Gothic styles being served, something told me that Beyoncé hadn't appropriated this kind of 'Renaissance' style! People from overseas were losing their minds, they had clearly never been to such an authentic living museum of history before? No, that's because Europe does it better! I took my pictures and kept it moving because I wanted another 'Galão' and some of those world famous 'Pasteis de Nata!' No, I genuinely loved my time at Jerónimos mighty and lavish looking monastery! I felt that the grandeur of that Portuguese architecture had scooped me up, it had given me some much needed 'original' culture and history because I had to say that I was feeling starved of that goodness! Sagres on tap? Oh, I found an ice cold pint of Portuguese lager to keep those levels on the right side of sober! I watched the world go by with a beer in hand! I loved it! 

There was no lie, I needed something to eat! Now, if I remember those Lockdown evenings, I watched a travel documentary about Portugal and those delectable egg tarts were featured! I knew in my heart that I needed to eat some special ones during my time in Lisbon, Portugal! Now, you can say whatever you want about 'Pasteis de Belém' because it was the culture spot that I wanted to embrace! Yes, it was touristy but I wanted to conquer it all, I waited patiently for my table. Of course, I knew full well as a 'solo traveller' I don't an expect immediate seating when more couples and family are present. I ordered three of the original Portuguese egg tarts with a latte, I needed something caffeinated and stodgy to collectively carry me onwards because the day was still young! I noticed that the front of the bakery was extremely busy, but the team working had things covered as they moved like busy ants in a colony! I only had to wait a few minutes before my order arrived, it was worth the hype, everything was delicious! 1837, where?

A certain connection lay between the nearby monastery and the shop that made it all possible, I wanted to know more! I had heard before that monks had baked such pastries close to 1837, this was due to the monasteries being forced to close. Those monks were going through it, on their collective struggle bus, those men of god sold their baked goods to the shop that would become 'Pasteis de Belém'. That lasting partnership stood the test of time, the monasteries went onto reopen and still act as a school of thought, whilst those baked goods caused a delicious storm in Belém's Culutral Quarter. I had no complaints, I stayed way from the counter until the last moment because those tourists didn't know where to place themselves, I took some further photos without being disrespectful to the staff before going on my own merry way. I moved further onwards, I wanted to retox and find my final point of interest for the day. I was about to finally see the actual embarkation point that saw the beginning and end to many a voyage! OK?

That Mediterranean sunshine felt like the best hug in my life, I made the most of that weather because Ningbo would still be a humid mess on my arrival! Yes, I had an appointment with Lisbon's 'Torre de Belém/Belém Tower', although I wasn't about to pay for entry because the view was just as nice from a distance. Now, this point of the Tagus River was the actual landing point for those far and wide vessels that shaped the Portuguese Empire. I was too busy buying a refillable 'Piña Colada' in a pineapple shell! I sipped that boozy drink at my leisure as I found a spot to enjoy the view. I had no worries in that moment, it was an absolute dream come true to be soaking up the sun with a drink in hand! Of course, 'Belém Tower' impressed me much with those 16th-century fortification vibes served, but you know that I also noticed those uniformed officers from the corner of my eye! Built from beige-white limestone, I loved the look of that Lisbon UNESCO landmark, that was my second U.N designated site of the day! A refil? Let's go! 

Belém had treated me well, the bus had not done me any wrong on the way out from Lisbon's 'Praça do Comércio' but on the way back, it did! I had experienced such a lovely day within that postage stamp area of culture and history, I was ready to head back to the city to check out a certain hushed venue. I decided to take chance on the train, upon walking onto the platform it was shown to me that I needed a paper ticket but the machine didn't accept cash and that was my easiest payment method. I wanted the convenience of China to be present in that moment because it all seemed very archaic within regards to the infrastructure. I took a chance on the bus, heading to the correct bus stop I was told that the buses wouldn't be stopping at that location in the direction of the city! I decided to walk the fifty minutes back to the city, it was a long one but it felt like magic to be back in the heart of Lisbon once again! The criticism didn't lie with Belém because no faults could be found with the destination, it was the transport! Yes!

Belém Got Boozy! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

Popular Posts