Summer Camp 2025: Reunions, Towers & China Bound... Part 8!

Was I still alive? Yes, I had made it to the final day of the study visit and I was feeling relieved. No emergencies had prevailed, no injuries or illness had occurred, for that reason I was more than ready for the final mornings class. We had one more hop into the city, I got to see my Mum! I had my own 'Parent Teacher Conference' moment, it was a crazy feeling! A Spoons breakfast? 

Our final morning had arrived, the departure back to China would follow the next day, I was certain that no mishaps would happen. Reaching the Southgate Hotel for the final class pick-up was like a dream, the pace of the week had meant I missed my chance to visit the Albanian cafe but there's always next time! The parent seminars had already concluded, the parents from two families joined the children for the final class. I took the child from my class under my wing, his parents were very busy getting their cases packed before their Eurostar departure to Paris, France the following day. The cars for these parents and myself had already been organised, that was one less thing to worry about. The final class was nice, I was able to observe with my student as he completed his final crafts, the other parents got into the spirit of the final class. I couldn't believe that the longest week was almost over, I had worked very hard and had lost track of how many hours I had worked. I knew that the London crafts would keep the children busy! Sure, L! 

The week had been more than anything I had experienced in my life, saying that it had been more organised than my previous Summer Camp back in Ningbo with the same employer. Certificates had been distributed, photos had been taken and I was able to see the parents complete their courses. It felt like a massive part of my life had almost come to a close because that week had taken a lot to plan alongside my initial duties and the sheer responsibility of the attraction programme had been major to undertake for one person alone. Getting on the London Underground train towards Kings Cross St. Pancras, you know the conversations were colourful because my employer had promised a plethora of things that I myself didn't know had been proposed. I was truly gooped! Two of the moms revealed some curious details, it was really wild how honesty hadn't been the first policy! I had been the glue and the parents from each family had witnessed it all. At the end of the day, integrity costs nothing, the truth would prevail. Yes!

When all was said and done, it wasn't right that I was only going to see my Mum for under three hours. There was nothing I could do about this, I was meant to fly back the following day with my flight family to Shanghai on the same British Airways flight. Business Class? In my dreams! The final interchange on the London Underground before we met my Mum was hectic but I was just overtired and needed the end to be in sight, the parents saw how burnt out I was! The family from my class were most excited to see my Mum, there was no secret they had a love for all things British and my Mum was about to be that ambassador. It was such a relief to see my Mum because it had been about one year since we had last seen each other, on record this would be our shortest reunion! A world record? I do think! Our final port of call would be the Tower of London but not before a walk along the Thames River! We found a beer garden alongside the river at More London Place, it was where my class parents conducted their own PTC meeting! 

Our walk along the Thames Walk was magical, I had almost completed my duties for that Summer Camp trip. We all walked past 'HMS Belfast', I remembered going on it as a child and hating every moment but that former Royal Navy vessel looked amazing in the summer sun. My students parents were in awe of my Mum, they told her how much of an amazing teacher I had been to their child. I am just repeating what they had expressed, they gave my Mum a glowing report of my time as their child's K2 homeroom English teacher. I wasn't to refuse the kindness offered by the dad of my student, I accepted the beers he bought for me because he saw that I had worked very hard during the week. The walk along up to Tower Bridge was one of relief, everyone in the group felt ready for their next adventure whether it was France or back to China. I was unfazed about our slight lateness, I was prepared to grovel one final time for us to access the Tower of London before our programme concluded. Oh, that bridge shone in the sunshine!

Another stroke of luck happened, our tardiness wasn't an issue because the staff at the tower's entrance didn't give us any stress. We accessed with our pre-purchased tickets without any problems, I had one final place to guide my families around. My students Mum stuck close to my mum, I thought she had made a new best friend? I was flattered that she thought so highly of my Mum because we are just a normal British family, royalty we are most certainly not. We were all able to marvel at the stone buildings, it was yet another place I had not clocked in London before as an adult. My students grandad wanted to see where the executions had taken place, I did my best to show his family those sites. We saw the Beefeaters and almost saw Tower Green for ourselves! Being later in the afternoon, golden hour was approaching, the view of the tower buildings facing Tower Bridge looked beautiful! It was time for our tour to wind down but not before seeing those famous Royal Crown Jewels. My students mum was so excited to see them! 

Those jewels shone and sparkled, they signified the end of the tour and our time at the Tower of London. Before we left the Tower of London my students dad bought me and my Mum an ice cream, their generosity was unbelievable in the most charming way! Two out of the three families made their own plans for the evening, it was great to give hugs and show my gratitude for their trust that the week. They had stayed with my pace and been good sports all round, I couldn't thank them enough! Friendships had been made during a rather crazy time in London, England! My Mum suggested we go for something to eat with the flight family, we headed towards St. Katherine's Dock. Finding a pub serving food was not difficult! It was too brief but me and my Mum were able to have something to eat and I was able to vent about the berserk week I had just navigated through. We said our goodbyes at the entrance to Tower Hill London Underground Station, we finally made it back to Southgate and Oakwood stations at long last. 

The transfer back to London Heathrow's T5 was like a dream, the flight back to Shanghai Pudong International Airport would take me back to normality. Check-in was fine and I was impressed with the security scanners because everything was fine in my bag, I didn't have to dig out my electronics. I had done my job, I wanted nothing more than a Wetherspoon's Full English Breakfast and a pint of Stowford Press cider, I didn't care what my flight family thought about that! In my head, I had clocked off from all responsibilities connected to the week. I purchased a nice bottle of whisky at Duty-Free and was already onto HR for the dates of the Christmas holiday because I had earned a week in Tokyo, Japan! More about that in the coming months, those plans would play out very differently in due course. Getting to the gate for the flight felt correct even thought we had a slight delay, frankly after that crazy week I was ready for the new semester. With some ground issues, take-off never felt so good! No, I wasn't OK! Seriously, BA?  

I had done my due, I had worked beyond sane working hours and I just wanted my own bed! I did enjoy several in-flight beverages without shame nor reservation. I reflected on the week with utter disbelief, it had been a lot and something that I didn't want to repeat again. In the weeks following that Summer Camp week, I did think what a future London trip could look like with the school complying with some considerations. I was treated to a dinner upon my arrival and told that I had done the school proud. The content gained from the week was put into social media form but my name wasn't in the credits, that was something that was changed without hesitation! Singapore? No, I respectfully declined that future 'Christmas' study visit because I wanted to visit Tokyo instead. I don't regret accepting London as my Summer Camp 2025 experience for one moment, it was an experience that I'll never forget. Experiences aside, I have made a solid foundation with my former students family that exceeds his July 2026 graduation. 

Friends For Life! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments