CNY 2019: Democratic People's Republic Of Korea!

With my 2018 National Day visit to Seoul, South Korea a roaring success, my hankering for something north of the DMZ couldn't be quelled any longer! Consulting Young Pioneer Tours had to be done, a trip to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea called my name! Pyongyang, Kaesong, the DMZ, Sinuiju and back over to China's Dandong would be the order of service! Go!

Planning my visit to the DPRK required considerably more thought than previous visits to the Republic of Korea required, that extra homework was all part of the experience as I readied myself. Choosing the 'Chinese New Year Tour' for February 2019 had to be done, I simply paid my deposit along with my full balance when I had gathered the funds, in the meantime I ensured that my 'Tourist Visa Card' was applied for accordingly. YPT handled everything professionally and no question was ever labeled as a 'stupid question'. I had watched every single documentary about the DPRK and with that Beijing living location, I had to make use of being a short distance away from Beijing's own Capital International Airport. By proxy I would need to travel from China to visit the DPRK, my 2017-2020 Beijing place of residence would suit perfectly. What would I pack? Being formal was the category for me, making sure I had H&M where I needed it, I would be suited and booted for 평양시! Who me? Looking like that? Especially for the DPRK! 

Like a military operation, I had my Chinese Yuan notes ordered for collection through the help of a friend. Making sure my notes were of the 5 or 10 denomination worked out fine, I was prepared and then some! The day before our departure from Beijing to Pyongyang, the members of our Young Pioneer Tours group attended a pre-tour briefing. We received our 'Tourist Visa Cards', the meeting was quite informal but the Foreign Leader of our tour group told us all of the things we needed to know. The train group headed from the meeting to the nearby Beijing Railway Station to catch their trains to Pyongyang via Dandong. Myself being a flight taker had to wait until the next day, as I was supposed to do I reported to Capital Airport's T2 for my Air Koryo flight. JS152 took off on time, the Tupolev Tu-204 landed just after 13:00 with our KITC tour guides excitedly awaiting our timely arrival into Pyongyang. On reflection, the walk from the jet bridge at Pyongyang had me feeling nervous excited, my DPRK tour had finally started! 

With Pyongyang already introduced to us the day before, the first full day of our itinerary started with an early departure from our hotel. Heading along the Reunification Highway on our KITC coach towards the DMZ near Kaesong with much anticipation, I was ready to be along the borderline! Panmunjom Village welcomed us with a friendly military salute from the Korean army commanders. Listening to the wishes of the commander who was in our presence, we stepped to the beat of his friendly request. Being able to see the location where both DPRK and UN flags stood on opposite tables, well that told me everything right there and then. The DMZ had me looking at South Korea's northern border, straight in the eye we were able to see the UN baby blue huts. In recent times, both leaders of DPRK and ROK had both exchanged conversations on both sides of the huts. Making our way to Kaesong had the Sungkyunkwan ancient university waiting for us to explore, dating back to the Goryeo and Joseon Dynasties, K! 

Where and when would we be having lunch? That wasn't a question! The golden bowls fronted us at our pre-selected restaurant. Our dozen or so golden bowls each served us something special, I opted for the Dog Meat Soup because when in Rome and all! Sariwon, a nearby city that was on the way back towards Pyongyang had us climbing a sizeable hill, the view was worth the strides! Bridging the gap, pleading for the peace, those were the emotions the Reunification Monument served to us! Pyongyang Cold Noodles? We tried our first bowl of Pyongyang Cold Noodles and were treated to a colourful show that evening! Once back at the Rakrang Hotel, we spent most evenings back at the hotel bar. Myself and Victoria ensured that our Pyongyang Soju was flavoured with every single juice that the waitresses could serve to us! Each night with our YPT group at the hotel bar, there was a real celebratory feel to our nights! Pyongyang would be our playground on the second full day of our 'Chinese New Year Tour' in the D.P.R. of Korea. 

Getting our best threads together, we all ensured our p's and q's were impeccable as we made our way to the all important, Kumsusan Palace Of The Sun. Respectfully accepting our invitation to pay our respects to the eternal leaders who were in state, it was a moment to never forget. The Mansuade Grand Monument afforded us the best light, the sun shone so brightly as the bronze statues of Kim Il Sung and his son, Kim Jong Il both looked into the sun. Lunch beckoned with a Korean BBQ style offering, we were schooled about the legend of Cholima and Malima before our lunch was served. The Workers Party Monument taught us about the paintbrush, hammer and sickle. How every person had their party to plan within the self-reliant nature of the Juche Order. The flame tipped Juche Tower welcomed us to marvel at an unforgettable view over Pyongyang, what an amazing it most certainly was and continues to be! Bowling? Yes, we enjoyed our game at the Pyongyang Gold Lanes. A beer bar? Naturally, our evening was formed! 

Our third and final day in Pyongyang saw us revisiting the impressive Kim Il Sung Square, turning a corner we stepped into the Foreign Language Bookshop. Back to our coach, the next part of our morning was spent at Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. Meeting with the USS Pueblo felt correct, the exhibits inside the vast museum impressed me! Going underground? We went two stops down the Pyongyang Metro's Mangyongdae Line, a ride to remember for sure! Did we need to be schooled? Maybe? Visiting a local middle school allowed us to meet a class of students, it reminded me how lucky I was to be a teacher in China at that point. The Arch Of Triumph found us once more, having the chance to get to know it better was a treat. A spot of shopping? Trading in our Chinese currency for some local Korean Won at the Kwangbok Department Store had us walking into a real-life shopping situation. The local KITC guides ordered some delicious snacks for us and the beer tasted mighty fine! Time to say bye! 

Where Are You, Dear General? That famous 'morning call' rang in our ears as we boarded our train at Pyongyang Railway Station. I felt really sad to leave Pyongyang, it had been everything and more, I still had much more to discover! Pyongyang, you best believe I will be back one day! Part of the group would be heading straight for Dandong, China, the flight takers would be en-route back to Beijing but myself and a fellow group member were anticipating our arrival in Dongrim. It wasn't grim, we were met by our KITC guides at the station stop and welcomed to start our journey towards the 'Dongrim Hotel'. Enjoying the facilities, it was a day of self-care with a swim in the pool. I indulged myself by having a deep tissue massage because I could! Having dinner at the hotel, of course I found myself with the microphone singing 'Let's Go To Mount Paektu!' Morning called once again, I needed a break from that Pyongyang Soju! Sinuiji, who? That border city would be in our lives, quick! 갑시다! New Yalu River Bridge, clocked, SJ!

Getting my DPRK cosmetics factory tour did, I purchased my anti-aging items very wisely! 110%, the item purchased snatched my already firm skin back 5 years in the right direction, those ingredients had me looking practically teenage! Getting to an art gallery presented the leaders greatly in painted form, I was impressed! A previous museum visit allowed me to see a Sinuiju development, it had me looking towards my passage back to China via Sinuiju's train. Lunch was informal, conversations enthralled and amazed our friendly KITC guide. A local kindergarten had us amazed by their choreographed show, those kids were amazing! Dandong had me looking at things from the opposite side of the Yalu River. The whole week had be nothing like I had ever experienced before, I will definitely be going back to the DPRK in the future. Maybe less soju, but I want to 'blog appreciate' the culinary aspect because I was crazy busy! Young Pioneer Tours or nothing! Yes, I have plans to see Wonsan, Nampo and Kaesong again! Pyongyang, see you! 

감사합니다! 사랑해! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments