Worcestershire, England: I Fancied Another Slice!

Staying closer to home, February 2022 has been an eventful month for altogether very different reasons. With the West Midlands Metro playing ball still, I headed down from 'The Hawthorns' to Worcester's 'Foregate Street' because I fancied another 'slice!' Paying homage to Drag sensation, Ginny Lemon had to be done that Saturday! Things were about to get 'saucy!' Behave! 

Life has a funny way sometimes, finding myself en-route to Worcester had me in my feelings because during that former 2015 visit shared some similarities. Both times in 2015 and more recently in 2022, certain China pangs were and continue to still weigh on my heart. Snapping out of that frame of mind I found myself back at the same train station that I had been at during that 2015 day of soul searching. Heading for the 'Lea & Perrins' factory had to be done, acting as the perfect reintroduction to Worcester, I trusted my Apple Maps. Featuring on RuPaul's Drag Race UK Series 2, Ginny Lemon had us all feeling saucy for that 'Worcester Sauce' one way or another! Part of their 'Queen Of Your Hometown' look, Ginny brought a slice of their hometown's biggest export to the world! The category was one half 'Worcestershire Sauce' with the other being 'Drag King' representation on the runway! Sorry Ginny, but during my 2015 visit to the city I had no idea who you were! After Gin's stint on RPDR, 2022's WCR visit got saucy! 

As luck was on my side early on during that Saturday, I had no issues finding the home of 'Lea & Perrins' sauce. Located on Midland Road, I knew already that entry wouldn't be permitted for me to see inside the factory, I was alright with that. For me to be in the same vicinity that Ginny Lemon had been, well that meant the world more than an impossible factory tour! Had I ever used that legendary 'Worcester Sauce' to flavour my food? The one that Ginny Lemon had further popularised? Of course, I had cooked with it before! During the second UK Lockdown in October and November 2020, I had challenged myself to cook my favourite 'Sweet and Sour Chicken' Hong Kong dish from scratch. Kelly, my friend from Hong Kong was so kind to send me her Mom's recipe for the dish that she had cooked me during my 2016 visit. Containing '英国酱', I found out that in most cases that translated to 'Worcestershire Sauce' due to the sauce having no easy way to translate. Probably being associated with the HK's during colonial days?

Being back in Worcester during that 2022 moment had me looking at the city with a renewed attention, the first visit in 2015 had me focussing on the River Severn with a sombre feeling. Even though I could connect with those former feelings, I had to keep the faith my overseas life would return because I could at least say I had experienced some five amazing years working in China. Worcester had me feeling thankful for that mask-free day out, since the rules are loosening it has allowed me to revisit those places that have called me back. Instead of returning to the River Severn I found someplace rather different during that February 2022 time. I had no idea that Worcester had its own 'City Walls', honestly I didn't even know they had existed! Returning from that 'saucy' factory had me connecting with a certain piece of Tudor history as I walked along 'Friar Street!' Dating back to the 16th Century, those black and white wooden structures looked Tudor? Really? The 'Tudor House Museum' on the same street answered that! 

Feeling rather impressed with myself, Worcester had me viewing those city sights like it was my first visit all over again! Heading for something to eat led me to 'Crumpets & Coffee Lounge' because I wanted to try something a little bit fancier, a supermarket meal deal wouldn't cut it! That spot of lunch hit the spot, sure it was two ordinary hot buttery crumpets with a flat white coffee to drink but it was great to be eating out! To conclude my lunch time meal, I had threw caution to the wind by having a delectable 'Kinder Bueno' brownie! Worcester had me treating myself for the first time because during that 2015 visit, I didn't have the funds to indulge myself! Walking around the city streets as I made my way back to the train station had me once again checking out those familiar sights and sounds, things had not changed one tiny bit! Seeing the 'Hopmarket' from a glance, well that gave me a nice flashback to 2015 without a doubt! Where to next? I had a plan to reach 'Hartlebury', with intent to see another Ginny Lemon element! Yes!

After making up good time in Worcester City Centre, I made my way back to Foregate St Station for that Hartlebury bound West Midlands Railway train. Being a smaller station along the route, I had to make sure I alighted from one of the first three carriages otherwise the doors weren't going to be opened for me. Having made it to Hartlebury, well that felt correct! Just my luck, nature called, thankfully I found 'The Tap House' situated around the corner from the stations platform. Making mine a cider had to be done, with time on my side I made tracks swiftly because I already knew the train frequency back to West Bromwich wouldn't be as regular. Why had I trekked the way down the train line to Hartlebury? A certain 'Captivating Costume' exhibit had been moved from Worcester's City Museum & Art Gallery, being an avid Drag fan, I had to make the journey to see it in Hartlebury! At that point, I was no longer in Worcester but I was still in the same Shire! The day so far had flowed perfectly, I had faith for sure! One more slice! 

Being only 16 minutes away from Worcester's vibrant city centre, Hartlebury served a quieter scene with countryside and fancy houses in both directions! Being away from the concreteness of the city felt amazing, even the air tasted fresh! After much research, I had found out that my desired exhibit had been moved to the 'Worcestershire County Museum' within the grounds of 'Hartlebury Castle'. The city had seen the last of that 'Ginny Lemon' focussed moment, there wasn't going to be any reason for me to miss out on seeing it due to the change of location. Taking a second chance on Worcester had me experiencing different things, 2015 had been a simpler affair but 2022 had come to shake things up! I wasn't mad, getting onto a different train kept me on my toes, I sure as hell wasn't going to become bored! I had almost made it to the 'castle', still time was on my side! Not having to run or rush was the mood for me, I do not run unless it's for a flight! Come on, Ginny! Some kind of Drag fan I am, making moves like I was!

Paying my admission into the museum had me one step closer to seeing my chosen 'Captivating Costume' exhibit! The museum staff were very enthusiastic and knew exactly what 'Ginny Lemon' I was excitedly harping on about! Even though they walked off during the halfway stage during the second series of the UK Race, Ginny Lemon's presence and representation had definitely been for something, without doubt! Spotlight on, what? Ginny's exhibit was the 'Spotlight on ... Gender' with key focus on breaking down the binary with their 'Gender Non-Conforming' stance. I had already been schooled about 'Vesta Tilley' because Ginny's 'hometown look' had been crafted to pay homage to Worcester's own 18th Century 'Drag King!' Vesta had made her name and craft known, becoming something of a 'male performing' 'Danny La Rue' of her day! Going even further back in time, 'Hannah Snell' changed the game during the First World War! I'll cover what 'Snell' achieved in just a moment, sure the exhibit had me hooked! 

Right, the 18th Century saw 'Hannah Snell' make her way into the army with a great risk to her life, concealing her Female gender with a 'male' inspired disguise. Her time was up as she was discovered, her punishment ended up being 500 lashes but she was still awarded a military pension to recompense her time serving in the forces. After further reading, Snell tried her luck one further time after moving to Portsmouth. After her move, she once again donned her best 'Butch Drag Style' to join the Marines, successfully she concealed her gender for a number of years further. All in all, Ginny stood along with their exhibition counterparts in the face of what society deems fashion to be something restricted to one gender! Their time on RuPaul's Drag Race UK will always be an iconic one because they always stood true to their interpretation as to what Lemon's true 'Drag' will always be! When I say 'Worcester', you say 'Gender Non-Conforming Trailblazers!' Returning to Worcester and the Shire was meant to be! A third slice?

Worcestershire Wasn't Sour! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments