2022: McComb’s Coaches, Northern Ireland: Game Of Thrones Tour... Part 2!

If you're transitioning from 'Part 1' to 'Part 2' then thank you in advance, you already know that this McComb's Coaches Northern Irish odyssey has life left in it! From the 'Dark Hedges' to lunch at the 'Fullerton Arms, those 'GOT' settings stayed close by! The Northern Irish coastline had me 'wowed' with those bluer than blue waters! Yes, the 'Giant's Causeway' served it up, BIG!

Those Carnlough Bay bought snacks were wearing thin, Fullerton Arms really needed to know my lunch order before our arrival because I was hungry! Real talk, I was ready for the next stop but lunch really needed to be served on up! Another former Game Of Thrones filming location was about to be presented to us, but why were those hedges darkened? I wanted to know! The category was 18th Century 'beech tree' Realness! That planted avenue showcased lush green farmland on both sides, once again I was able to breathe in a healthy dose of 'country air!' Far enough away from the city of Belfast, I loved my 'Ballymoney' location within the Northern Irish county of 'Antrim!' Impressed by the Georgian Mansion, Gracehill House served something quite regal indeed, prance I said! Cue those hedges! Known as the 'Kings Road', the Game Of Thrones series featured the Dark Hedges if only for a moment or two, the hype was real! Making coins from such a small yet iconic feature, the Dark Hedges continue to make big money for N.I! 

Being mindful of the time, the driver had given us around twenty minutes to discover the trees at the Dark Hedges, for me that was just enough time. Sure, the mansion mentioned looked regal, within seconds from seeing the mansion I had my view replaced with those famous beech trees. Our driver had forewarned us that the trees had been planted individually but as the years had progressed, the branches of the trees had embraced each other, creating the famous darkened path. Even though the scene featuring the Dark Hedges fared to be short, the cultural impact clearly pays Northern Ireland's bills because our coach-load of tourists were not the only ones present to appreciate that 'getaway' view from the famous Game Of Thrones HBO show. I did my damn best to take photos that didn't have people littering about the place, not talking rubbish I'm talking tourists who take their sweet time to grab that snap! Keeping it real, I am! I got what I wanted and more, I allowed those around me to be with a respectful manner. Got it, B'money?

Like nobody's business, I wanted my dinner/lunch or what you may call it, really I was so happy when my coach stopped at Ballintoy's own Fullerton Arms. Our lunch/dinner had already been phoned through, our orders were in the kitchen and we were about to take our seats in the restaurant. I had ordered a pie and mash, I found out that they didn't have any Guinness! No Guinness? Yes! I was genuinely shocked but I ordered a pint of an Irish IPA brew with the name 'Franciscan Wells'. Service was rapid, the staff at the Fullerton Arms knew exactly what they had to do! All of our lunches were served up really quickly, drinks followed and cheques were paid seamlessly after. My pie tasted delicious, I chose the steak piece served with a healthy portion of mashed potato. I really enjoyed my lunch at the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy, the shared tables encouraged me to make small talk with my fellow coach passengers. Our final stop would soon greet us, for that brief rest-stop I was thankful for that chance to refuel. On to where next, N.I? 

The price of my lunch and mid-afternoon beverage were at my own expense, the choice was ours to make regarding food arrangements. The price of the trip didn't have me counting any loose pennies from what had spent at the Fullerton Arms. Paying 25 GBP for the McComb's Coaches Game Of Thrones Tour saw me visiting at least five visitor attractions throughout that Sunday spent on the road in Northern Ireland. The price of my lunch was around 15 GBP, that included my pie with mashed potato and my IPA pint of beer. All entry had been paid for prior to the visit, meaning that we didn't have to worry about anything upon our arrival to any of the designated places along the way that Sunday. Lunch was a minor spend, the trip just the same as the day merely set me back 40 GBP, I am sure admission to Alton Towers or Thorpe Park would be much more compared with my McComb's experience. Heading back to the coach, we could all say that lunch had tasted lovely and that we all collectively loved those Ballintoy settings! Go, B! 

Our driver had good news in store for us, the distance from the Fullerton Arms to the Causeway wouldn't take us long at all. Please allow me to cast my mind back a little bit, I have to express that the village of Ballintoy itself had such a quaint feeling about it. Throughout the day we had woven our way around the cutest villages and houses that looked like the perfect place to retire to and for people to bring their children up. For me Ballintoy served small village vibe but with views of the sea, you already know I was about those sunshine coastal views! The weather had finally sorted itself out with the sky turning a glorious sky 'Blu' setting, nobody was about to complain about that development! The grey skies had disappeared, those serene coastal settings had my whole heart, those hidden beaches looked darling, they really did! As the Giant's Causeway neared we had already been informed that Bushmills Distillery wasn't yet ready to welcome tour groups back yet, something else for another day! The day had flowed effortlessly! 

Back on the road, I think we were all starting to feel the day, as our final stop grew closer we had one more story to listen to. As the ocean blue passed us by, we were told how 'Finn McCool' a local giant wanted to be the ruler of Scotland. 'The Giant's Causeway Story' had us listening, as Finn McCool spanned the Irish Sea over to Scotland after tip-toeing over the causeway, he was in for a nasty surprise! McCool had underestimated the incoming rage from Scotland's own living legend, Benandonner stood much taller and stronger! With sheer panic, McCool ran back across the waters to Northern Ireland because Benandonner was after blood! McCool's wife dressed up Finn as a baby to scare Benandonner to fool him that the giant in-question towered above Finn's stature. Benandonner went on to rip up the Causeway from the ocean bed to deter that Northern Irish McCool menace from disturbing the nation of Scotland ever again! Growing nearer to the 'Giant's Causeway' for real, the story would be brought to life for real! O, I loved that story-time! 

Arriving at Northern Ireland's only UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Giant's Causeway held the key to our trips conclusion. Spanning 4 miles, the Giant's Causeway is made up of basalt columns that over time have risen from the Irish Sea off the coast of Northern Ireland within County Antrim. Legend had it that Finn McCool created the ocean-like walkway to reach Scotland but as that will always be a legend, that shall remain a legend. First documented in 1693, geologists have studied the magnificent 'National Trust' managed site for research purposes. My coach arrived in a timely manner, dropping us all off at the top of the hill with the main entrance and visitors centre in view. We had been warned about the time, with the coloured coded trials, it had been suggested the McComb's Coaches passengers only chose the 'Blue Trail' because it would be the quickest. Once I saw the bus, I ran towards it and paid with my coins because walking up and down that Causeway leading path wasn't the one! Let's get it! 

Jumping down from the 'Translink - Causeway Link' bus, I literally loved that magical view! The Giant's Causeway had me searching for the best angle, I wanted that final tour photo to look absolutely amazing! I was shocked that so many people were practically using the Causeway like a climbing frame but rising above the immaturity of others, I forged ahead! Climbing respectfully to a point where the view looked right, to be frank I asked the two ladies in Mandarin Chinese that I wanted to take my photo where they were sitting, keeping the tone like they do in Beijing, I was good. Satisfied with my photos, I went back to the benches to gather my thoughts because the Giant's Causeway gave me all the headspace that I needed! Why was I able to pick up 'Republic Of Ireland' mobile phone signal? I wanted to know because I was loving being in the UK with my home phone signal, that was not a welcomed sign! Rejoining the coach at the stated time, McComb's Coaches transported us back to Belfast on the double! Thanks Mc! 

N.I Coach Trip Done! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

  1. I didn’t know tours like this existed. If you are a lover of the show. The photographs you have shared look lovely. That pie looks yummy. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    Lauren - bournemouthgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out McComb's Travel and also through Viator! I had never seen the show but knew of the locations so added the Giant's Causeway, I would highly recommend the tour! Lunch was lovely, that was at the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Joseph

      Delete

Post a Comment