Beside The Sea... Bangor, Northern Ireland!

Fresh from my Belfast arrival, I was on that 'N.I Railways' train before you could say 'Guinness!' I was yet to taste my first Northern Irish pint of the 'Black Stuff', honestly I was not ready for that deliciousness! Bangor had my attention, I wanted a slice of that Northern Irish 'seaside' town. Sure, those sunshine settings had me feeling like summer had arrived! Bangor, I'm ready! 

Taking the train from Belfast's Botanic Station saw me arriving into Bangor's terminus train station within the hour! Heading out of the station I headed towards the Marina to catch those views, before that I found myself spending those Pound Sterling coins on a massive ice cream! That ice cream tasted great, although I could've sank a pint of Guinness at the same time, that would happen soon enough! As I turned my head towards Castle Park I did see a brass band sounding off and some Union Jack flags, interesting to see but the 'Irish Sea' was calling me! Why had I chosen to visit Bangor? I frankly wanted to see the sea again, I had really connected with the ocean blue when I went to Blackpool during late April. With my trip to Northern Ireland rescheduled for a later date, I made the most of that almost-summer setting. Even as the train passed certain stations such as; Holywood, Cultra and Helen's Bay, those ocean views had been secured before I had even arrived into Bangor! McKee, who? Bangor, I wanted to know! B! 

As the 'Bangor Marina' grew closer I was first greeted by Bangor's 'McKee Clock Tower', I already loved the white 'Victorian' canopy, it had my attention instantly. Located at the foot of the High Street, I read the room once again but the sea air had me breathing in something better than I had left in England. A 'meeting point' for certain, I did see a few people who were chatting near to the sunken gardens. There was a family friendly vibe, overlooking the Marina had me catching glimpses of the many vessels. Even the 'Luftwaffe' couldn't keep the 'McKee Clock Tower' down because after some further reading, they'd dropped a bomb near the top of the clock. Bangor and its bulletproof 'clock tower' had me welcomed and into the Northern Irish fold. Quay Street had me closer to that gorgeous view I just didn't know that yet, Bangor had me making those moves bang on time! The clock tower reminded me of the moment, carrying on forth, Bangor guided me towards my next port of call. Mussels for tea? Bangor kept on serving! 

Irish Sea, who? Oh, I don't know her! That Irish Sea view had me thinking that I was actually somewhere along the Mediterranean Sea! Slowing my pace right down to a sedate stroll had to be done, I wanted to take in every single living ounce of that show-stopper of a sea view! Looking into the distance, was the horizon serving Scotch views of Stranraer or was it another part of Northern Ireland? I was curious! I even asked the nearest person in my view to ask that question? Was that landmass actually Scotland? No, it wasn't Scotland but a place that I would heading to the following day! I had no idea that the coastline ahead of me stood along the North Antrim Coastal Path, well on the way to it anyway! I was learning fast that my view had more about it than the rugged rocks and turquoise looking waters! I couldn't stress how Bangor had blessed the day with such warm sunshine conditions with a blue sky view! The early morning wake up call had started to make me feel sleepy, not a vibe whatsoever! Bangor, where to next? 

If truth be told, I felt quite content standing near the waters along the coastline in Bangor. I didn't have any grand plans to scale the coastline neither to find any sandy beaches because those views from my rocking vantage point had me with the best slice of the action in the town! Squeezing all the juice from that slice of the lemon had me feeling super impressed with myself, the trip from Belfast to Bangor had been so easy to navigate and the price of the return ticket had me counting my change for a hot minute! For all the right reasons, Northern Ireland's seaside town of Bangor had me slap bang in the middle of an almost tropical viewpoint! A certain Victorian seaside nature could be seen, I had Google'd some of the nearby beachfront restaurants and by no chance would I be spending that much on food on my first day! Bottling that sea view from my happy place, definitely the best things life are truly free? Yes! Time was absolutely on my side, those late afternoon setting meant Bangor served calmness. Lucky me, B! 

That early morning sandwich had definitely left me feeling rather hungry as the afternoon pressed onwards in Bangor, I wanted to eat something from the nearby waters but what? Clocking 'The Rabbit Rooms' had me interested! I wanted to see their menu! The outside tables had all been taken, that was a choice but not feeling bitter I went into the bar to see what delights their menu had in-store for me! I already knew what I wanted! Ordering the 'Classic Moules Mariniere' that was served in a pot for me to enjoy fresh from the kitchen. Cooked in garlic, parsley and a white wine cream, I had lots of fun dipping my bread into that delicious sauce. A drink? I dived in for my first Guinness on the Isle of Ireland since I had forced one down in a Dublin pub back in 2013. My tastebuds had changed and hands down, that pint of Guinness tasted like silk if there ever was a taste! The mussels tasted divine and the Guinness more so, I was in food and drink heaven! The Rabbit Rooms catered well, it all tasted amazing! 

Northern Ireland had me falling in-love with those scenic seaside settings, I just loved it! Bowled over by that delicious late afternoon meal and my first Northern Irish pint of Guinness, I had high hopes for the trip because the hospitality had been 'Grand!' Oh, for sure a lot of Guinness would be consumed during that trip! As whistle-stop as the trip to Bangor turned out to be, I felt content with each exhibit viewed that afternoon. With my tea digesting nicely, I said goodbye to the bluer than blue waters as I made my way up the High Street towards the train station. With Belfast back in my sights, I felt as if two parts of my wish-list had been ticked off triumphantly, smashing that trip I was! Bangor understood that my time would be precious, that seaside town guided me past the McKee Clock Tower without any hitches, to the waters edge and for a spot of locally caught grub! As my N.I Railways train pulled out of Bangor, it was lovely to bid a fond farewell to the same idyllic coastline, just absolutely beautiful! Bang on, Bangor! There, I said it! 

Beautiful Bangor! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

  1. This sounds and looks like a lovely trip; the sea looks incredible in that photo! I've never been to Ireland at all but would love to go one day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day and the perfect start to a great trip, you’re right!

      The water was soo blue!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. The sea view here is wonderful; I used to live along the Cornish coast and I miss it so much (current views are my apartment complex car park, haha). I have never been to this part of Northern Ireland but if I ever get to travel again it will have to go on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great trip and love the photos. Transports me to somewhere tranquil like that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ireland is a country I do wish to visit sometime soon. This post definitely made me want it even more. I will bookmark it to have it available when I will need it. Thank you!
    Eri | weirdlifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so happy that you enjoyed reading this post! That sounds like a plan certainly, happy planning!

      Joseph

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a must visit! I have never been to Irealnd and that seaside pictures looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day with some lovely lovely views!

      You really should consider visiting the island of Ireland!

      Joseph

      Delete

Post a Comment