I'm Back, Back, Back Again... Belfast, Northern Ireland!

After almost a decade since my first visit to Belfast, Northern Ireland, it was time to say I was 'Back Again! With that N.I comeback trip planned for earlier in the year it was such a nice feeling to be making those city centre visions happen for real! 'Queen Victoria', I wouldn't forget her 'City Hall' statue! Giving my time to 'St. George's Market' was a must with a 'River Lagan' walk!

U.K Hun? After touching down from Birmingham Airport into Belfast International Airport, I hit the ground running! Taking the Airport Bus before the 'industrial strike' would unknowingly take place was a blessing in disguise! The sunshine truly had come out to greet me as I walked towards 'Belfast City Hall', the sunnier climbs felt like a world away from the 2013 snowfall! Being back in Northern Ireland felt like an absolute treat because with a former life overseas, the opportunity to return to that part of the UK wouldn't have been easy! Blessings appreciated, I marvelled at the period features of the 'City Hall' with attention paid. Yes, the statue of 'Queen Victoria' had been a focal point I had wanted to capture, sorry Elizabeth II but Victoria will always be my favourite queen! Favouritism aside, I had a few extra things to execute. After getting off the bus at Great Victoria Street, I made sure that I had scouted down the whereabouts of the Europa Hotel! That hotel would hold the pick up point for my coach trip the next day. OK?

Donegall Square welcomed me back with a warm embrace, the weather by that early afternoon time had peaked! I was roasting! Literally, both visits had me experiencing extreme opposite weather conditions but Donegall Place looked just the same as it had done in 2013! I remember approaching the 'Marks & Spencer' to gingerly change some of my Euros because I had booked the 'Enterprise' train from Dublin to add something extra to my inaugural visit to the Emerald Isle back in 2013. I didn't have to worry about currency because using the same Pound Sterling like the rest of the UK does, Northern Ireland had me organised with that sense of 'British Administration'. With time pressing, I took my photos of the City Hall with enough time to spare, I had two further elements to execute before reaching my 'Botanical Backpackers Hostel' in the 'Queen's Quarter'. Belfast City Hall looked amazing in the sunlight, making tracks back to that city centre location felt great! They best keep Queen Victoria's statue intact, go on City Hall! 

With Belfast's City Hall behind me, I made my way along May Street so I could find 'St. George's Market'. Flashing back to those first few 2013 steps that I took in Belfast, I had walked past St. George's Market without paying it any mind. Lanyon Place Station had been where the Enterprise train from Dublin had dropped me just a few steps from that N.I market. Life recently has thrown up some different opportunities, since that first Belfast visit, I had found out about the 'Belfast Bap!' What on earth's a Belfast Bap? I wanted to find out during that return visit to Northern Ireland's capital. Like a dream I found myself walking into St. George's Market to be greeted by the larger than life Victorian Market Hall, apparently one of the last remaining in Northern Ireland? Yes! Only operating at weekends, my Saturday arrival allowed me a window of time to try that Belfast Bap treat! I wanted to spend up all of my money in that market hall but that brunch choice was all I really cared about! Sure, I wanted to check those places off my list! 

Like magic, I found the stall for me! Finding the 'Belfast Bap Co', I ordered my own without a second thought! A fried egg, sausage, mushroom and bacon all found their way onto a crusty cob, the lady who served me had me fronted with some 'Belfast Realness!' Finding a place to sit I embarked on my Belfast foodie quest, that bap was huge! Taking my time and leaving my table manners someplace else, I devoured my Belfast Bap without a care in the world. It was like a fried breakfast on a bap, making for a seriously tasty dining experience! Getting things right during that 2022 return, I made the best of that moment to visit St. George's Hall. Only then I could finally say that walking past that Victorian Market Hall back then had been a grave mistake, it was fate that my weekend arrival had me sitting satisfied with that Belfast Bap. Walking past Lanyon Place felt good, I was able to take things in a reverse direction with a clear intent to fill in those 2013 gaps! City Hall and St. George's Hall both served Victorian Overness! 

Changing up my 'River Lagan' view, during 2013 I had no idea that Belfast even served up its own river! Where was my head even at? I want to know! After some key research I learned that the river featured during that 2013 trip whilst I checked out the 'Titanic Belfast'. After booking my 'Botanical Backpackers Hostel' I then saw that Belfast's Laganside would take me to where I needed to go! I loved the scenic walk along the riverside as the Lagan flowed past me, getting another hidden gem fully checked off my list had to be done! I had no worries about the area that lined the riverside because it didn't showcase any fluttering national flags of Ireland or the UK. Back to the Lagan, the sunshine had me burning up but those warmer climbs were definitely appreciated! With the docks in the opposite direction, the scenery away from the H&W cranes served up a city style housing estate. Ever so slightly I did hear a train pass me, Lanyon Place secretly kept me reminding of those hurried 2013 movements. Rewriting things, Belfast saw me! 

Turning away from the riverside onto Balfour Avenue allowed me to walk towards Belfast's 'Queen's Quarter'. I had my iPhone maps ready to help me navigate my way through those Belfast streets, I had my game on! Leaving the buzz of the city centre had me fronted with a students paradise, those period features served up bubble tea shops and cafes galore. I even caught a glimpse of Belfast's 'Botanic Station', needless to say I kept that station stop in mind because I would need it that afternoon to reach Bangor! With the City Hall, Market and Riverside behind me, I managed to find my hostel without wasting any time! Yes, I did catch a glimpse of Belfast's own 'Queen's University', reminding me of BBC Three's documentary 'The Billion Pound Party' featuring 'Stacey Dooley. Being back in Belfast felt amazing, I felt as if age and experience was going to help me sop up those desired experiences, no stone would be left unturned! Dropping my bag at the hostel, I headed to Botanic Station with Bangor on the brain! 

Oh, Mummy! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments

  1. Belfast has never been on my radar as a place I would travel to from Canada, but you definitely have me thinking about it ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must visit, flights are better connected to either UK Mainland or Dublin (Republic of Ireland).

      Belfast has my heart, it's where two generations of my family were born in...

      Thanks for your comment!

      Joseph

      Delete
  2. I have never been to Belfast before but I definitely would like to travel and see what it has to offer. The photographs you have taken look great. It sounds like a wonderful experience. Thank you for sharing.

    Lauren - bournemouthgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belfast is amazing!

      Thanks for this comment and kind words!

      100%, I took my time taking those photos to make up for that 2013 impatience... Time is a gift, returning to places well that's the magic!

      Joseph

      Delete
  3. I would love to visit Belfast or any place in Ireland. It sounds like you had a great experience there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must!

      Ireland both Northern and Southern, I just love it! Although the Pound Sterling used in the North makes things a lot easier and the UK phone signal!

      Belfast is a great city, it was great to be back after 9 years!

      Joseph

      Delete

Post a Comment