Beside The Sea... Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia!

The previous night had finished me, I woke up feeling anything but 'Christmas Eve' cheer because that hangover was inhumane! I needed to get out of my hotel room, I already knew Kota Kinabalu's 'Tanjung Aru Beach' was a nonnegotiable part of my final day in KK. Satay skewers served on a bed of rice would only do, I was not in a good way! What happened to not drinking?

After a period of relative sobriety during that Malaysian trip, Kota Kinabalu persuaded me to fall off that wagon! Not regretting one single sip of that juice, that hangover had hit me big time as Christmas Eve made an appearance. I didn't want to miss out, I tried my best to revive myself with a cup of 'Boh Tea' from my trip to Cameron Highlands. I had one place in mind, I knew that I wanted to take things closer to the water during that second and final day in Kota Kinabalu. I started walking and I couldn't stop, I literally tried to step all over that hangover situation. I had clocked on the map that a 'water town' lay around the bay from KK's own 'Tanjung Aru Beach?' Yes, I kept things on the main drag because I wasn't in the head space to waste any further time. My walk allowed me to leave the bustle of that tourist appropriate tourist centre, I caught a glimpse of those water based houses in the near distance. Kota Kinabalu didn't play, for real she hooked me up with those jeti views with the quickness. With every step, I knew I was unwell! 

I loved those distant yet closer views of those local looking water based houses, stilts galore were served! I walked near to an opening to that waterside community but to be honest I didn't feel like intruding. I wanted appreciate those views seen from further away with the ocean jutting out. I felt that it was necessary to respect their privacy. Making up some time with that water community clocked with a side-eye applied, I walked further along 'Jalan Mat Sellah' still in a very hungover state. I was able to clock the runway at Kota Kinabalu International Airport, I had aimed to get a photo of an arriving aircraft but the heavens started to open and I just wanted to sit and watch with my ice cold juices. I appreciated that rest stop opposite from the runway because I had been walking for a long time. Kota Kinabalu really said 'Let's Go To The Beach, Beach!' I knew that my Apple Maps weren't telling me lies, the beach grew nearer, I was running out of road and I wasn't mad about that! K, I would definitely be getting a taxi back to my hotel! 

The sunset grew closer, I knew that I would need to shake a leg if I wanted to see the beach before darkness fell! I was fine, I knew that time would actually be on my side, divine timing for sure! I saw the beach, I knew that those South China Sea waters were almost in view as the road just mentioned tailed off into a roundabout. I was able to find the beach without any issues, although I was greeted with a huge sea of people that didn't impress me much! I had to get over myself because those food stalls looked amazing, a wide array of satay snacks were on offer! I would be going back for a much needed meal after the beach had clocked. Back to those waters because the view was about to knock me dead in my tracks. I climbed down onto the beach, Kota Kinabalu's Tanjung Aru Beach wasn't being serious? Really though? No! I looked past the crowds because I was standing on a stunning beach with a view to rival my previous Christmas situ. Looking past the frenzy of people, I relaxed into those never-ending Malaysian sea views. 

Absolutely everybody had decided to descend upon that beach but I was able to find a place to sit on the beach easily. I blocked out 'absolutely everybody' in-sight because they wouldn't dare steal those views from me. Sitting for what felt like a lifetime, it was my moment to praise my efforts made to reach that setting on foot with the hangover hurting like it did. The key to my time in Kota Kinabalu, it was time to move on but not before soaking in that 'Golden Hour' because Malaysia was hitting different! Feeling less than brand new, 'Tanjung Aru Beach' restored something inside of me, it was the waves lapping against the shore for me! Nothing about that beach moment was too good to be true, I made sure to appreciate the clouds because even they looked like paradise. Was this the first beach during that Malaysia trip? Yes, it was the first beach because I had ensured Sabah served at the last minute! My stomach needed nourishment, you already know the growing night market kept on tempting me! I was so done! 

Leaving the beach behind me, I wasn't going to be wasting anymore time, I needed to eat! I had missed breakfast and neglected lunch, I deserved it to my stomach to eat something tasty for my evening meal! I knew that I couldn't leave Malaysia without having any satay skewers and those at that night market weren't messing around! Not 'out of my mind', I didn't waste any time because three chicken and lamb skewers were instantly ordered on a bed of white rice. That Malaysian evening meal wasn't going to punish me, I loved every single bite and with an ice cold can of Coke, it was a match made in heaven! Keeping things Halal furthermore, Kota Kinabalu tried to save me with no alcohol in-sight and I appreciated that because I'm not such a innocent soul. My evening meal was enough, I really didn't want to eat a large meal, those skewers were more than enough. I needed my bed because the hangover had took over again! I left a rather busy series of food stalls behind me, calling a taxi was a must for me! Kota Kinabalu, sort it out! 

The water village had given me everything from a healthy distance, not overstepping the mark felt correct. Nobody wants to intrude, keeping things 100% had to be the order of the day. I walked for literal miles and that somehow didn't even make my hangover pass, how those pre-Christmas Eve drinks were a choice, literally! As far as beaches go, I was allowed to take a breather with an international airport as my vantage point, that is always a plus for me. This 'Beside The Sea' edition took me to the brink, I really didn't mind those crowds because the everlasting view had me transfixed in the best way, I wasn't mad just unwell. Would I be able to see another beach in Malaysia before I departed for Shanghai? That I would sure make a reality because Penang would surely throw a spanner into that equally hungover plan. Kota Kinabalu had been amazing, that Malaysian city had given me everything and more! Returning to the city in that Grab Taxi felt correct, I retired to my hotel room to try and get some sleep! Over and out! 

Kota Kinabalu... Oh, The Shade! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments