Surprise, Surprise: Edinburgh, Scotland!

This time last year, had I make it back to China? Were you sure?! That easyJet flight had me flying high but only in a Lothian direction! Rude! Honestly, that Scottish breakaway had me feeling brand new, desperately seeking adventure with a purpose! Seeing things through new eyes, I had the best time over that Scotch borderline. Oh, Scotland! For your love, I'm available! 

Feeling those jet engines roar had me feeling some type of way, the flight was super quick but to be back in those blues skies 'flying high' felt correct. Straight up, I boarded that 'Edinburgh Tram' with a scene to revisit and then some! Coming from the former student city that I still loved, Edinburgh had been visited during my college days before I had moved to Birmingham. The 'Scotch Monument' saw me self-navigating that city centre location, it wasn't no college thing because I had full reign of my direction! Walking over those tracks I made my way up to the 'Royal Mile' with a destination to find for real, that Pod Hostel needed to be found! The 'Edinburgh Fringe' had been cancelled for 2021 and how sad that was for the city, well those hotels and hostels needed to be sold! I had looked to Edinburgh before that August 2021 moment but Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon both fell out big time, borders were firmly closed! Away from home for a 'hot minute', I relished in that Scotch moment! Och Aye The, Ed?

I had plans to see Edinburgh Castle the following day but it felt fitting to walk down that 'Royal Mile' like I had done with with my Portuguese sisters during our 2013 visit to the city. I felt so fortunate for the experience to return to Edinburgh because I was able to get things done on my terms and then some! Feeling fortunate for those formative visits, it was time to paint the Scotch capital in whatever colour I wanted to! Dinner was going to be something fancy because the last year and a half had subjected me to a very different life, those fancy overseas meals felt like a distant ocean away! 'Whiski Rooms' had my reservations before time, ordering a 'flight' of selected whisky's because I had some delusional budget! No, I didn't feel any guilt for that purchase along with the venison dish! Having nothing left to prove, I enjoyed my meal and drinks without paying no mind to my trips overall very thin budget. I didn't care, I was out of the house! Having one for the road, it was time to get some rest before that double blog day! Go, Ed! 

As I enjoyed my Sainsbury's breakfast time meal deal, I replied to a very important message! Yes, both Denise and Dianne were travelling in their own camper van. Denise informed me about 'Bobby Dog', so after climbing the disgusting amount of steps up to the top of a huge hill then I formulated my plan! The top of the world? No, I made my way to the 'Dugald Stewart Monument' because I had seen that skyline photograph more days that I had been locked in the house by that Tory partying government mess, I wasn't having no more of it! Stunning as the view was, you already know that I had to check-in with my Dianne & Denise! Making my way back to terra firma, then I had to kill some time before I made my way up another ridiculous hillside moment! I was tired and it was still breakfast time, I needed some liquid courage! Irn Bru! You already knew I was channelling 'RuPaul's Drag Race's' own 'Rosé' because her 'Mary Queen Of Scots' suited that castle sitch! Keeping it low key, Edinburgh was doing the most! Oh!

Edinburgh's Castle was palatial, the views from the very top were unstoppable and for sure it was nice to be exploring once again! I had ventured out around local regions but Scotland's closed energy tried to break my soul! Telling everybody during that Edinburgh moment that I was living for every single second! Looking for a new sensation, I climbed those steep steps from the castle with an excitement, I had almost created one full four photo spanning blog in one morning! With a new found level of motivation, I found 'Bobby Dog' without any issues! Of course, 'Victoria Street' tried to take me back near the Royal Mile but she did not just yet! The heartwarming story about 'Bobby Dog' warmed my stone cold swinging brick of a heart! Without any doubt in my mind, Edinburgh kept it coming with those surprises, I lived for it all! Haggis for lunch? Yes, then I headed for a secret looking 'Water Of Leith' because the overness of the 'Royal Yacht Britannia' was not to be repeated! Pizza Hut for tea? That budget was triggering! 

Having those train tickets booked from the second that I was on that city bound tram from the airport had me ready for that 'Firth Of Forth' moment! Taking that 'Scot Rail' train from Edinburgh's Waverley Station had me on the right track, with no lies told! 'Dalmeny' became my station stop because I wanted to see the legendary 'Forth Bridge' without question! I saw that blue water that the cast iron bridge in-view also, come through social housing with a view! Universal Credit for your life! Honestly! Breakfast had been booked at the 'Ravenous Beastie' because those PR photos had me wanting more of that Scottish fayre! My full on Scotch Breakfast had me feeling full, complete with square sausage and smooth porridge on the side, Miss Goldilocks had her stash stolen! That breakaway moment from the city felt just right, sure it really did! I had to keep things moving, although the main street beside the 'Firth Of Forth' told me a story, Miss Rona had done her best to take it all away! What did I need to see next, D?

It felt absolutely amazing to gaze up at the 'Forth Bridge' with all of that red looking cast iron looking right back at me! In real-time, it was amazing to be present in that moment by that almost 'ocean water' scene. Staying put in the West Midlands wasn't my plan of action, that Scotland trip had been the antidote that I had needed much! Getting on that train with that sense of independence hit different that time at Edinburgh Waverley Station because I had kept things in England with home a constant category, it was nice to have that city centre to look back towards. Those few day away still mean a lot to me, they allowed me to hold on to the life that I once had in East Asia, to have that sense of control. Being one of one, Edinburgh never contradicted, everything about that experience had me falling ready for the next 'Surprise, Surprise!' Dalmeny, she knew that I was that person! Breakfast had been amazing, taking the train over the bridge gave me those views, keeping me moving it did! Unique? Quite so, it was! 

Now, I had a phone number but I had no time topping it up! Making those moves from 'Dalgety Bay', well I had to keep close to that Bluetooth because I only had half a clue! Never again, that half knowing where I was going was not a mood that I want to repeat! I made it to that gorgeous setting, the walking had me feeling refreshed if not absolutely but I had waited for that Scottish escape! Dalgety's views had my attention, making my way to that effortless view, well it felt like I was faraway from the city! Getting that fresh air in my lungs felt right, the whole day had been such a treat! With nature by my side, well that made me feel like that adventure had been desperately sought! The homecoming would beckon, I had no idea what feelings of lowness would punch me in the face! No, I had no idea about that as I stood dead in that moment, the view over the bay was far too nice to notice any upcoming sorrow! Soaking in every single view had to be done, the city called me back before I knew it! Adventure had found me once again! 

Heading back to the city willingly, I needed a quick nap because I was feeling sleepy! Making it back to my pod felt like bliss, making that Pizza Hut return for the second time saw me ordering the same budget pizza! I had grand plans, that outlook did not match the budget, of course it did not! Not feeling sorry for myself, I had loved my three days in Scotland and more! I was able to return without any sense, if you asked me in 2019 that Scotland would be on my radar, well you'd be speaking the wrong language to me! Edinburgh, Dalmeny and Dalgety all had me making peace with that 'Study Visit', 'Tour Guide Revisit', well they both led to that self-guided return! Feeling like I had been released from the 'COVID Purgatory' that I was deep in, for that brief moment of travel had me feeling like I was a world away from reality. Feeling bluer than the Scottish flag, the weeks after that runaway trip had me feeling more 'China sick' than ever before! Edinburgh's done but I will always be in-debt to that UK capital! EDI, I needed that trip! 

Scot Rail Or Nothing! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments