Girl, That's So... Pattaya, Thailand!
Returning to Thailand was a gamble, was I chasing the same feelings like I had earlier in the year? Maybe, but I would soon find out! Andy had told me much about Pattaya, I wanted to see that hedonistic playground for myself. Trading a low cost carrier for Thailand's national airline, I took the bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport down to Jomtien Beach in Pattaya. I needed a break!
My Summer Camp trip to London had pushed me to the limit and without any warning I found myself back in K3 once again! I needed somewhere to run to, somewhere to get feral and enjoy life once again! Returning to Thailand was never a question, it was going to happen whether I wanted to or not! Thai Airways flew me from Shanghai Pudong to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, the early morning departure had me snoozing over to the Thai capital. Pattaya had her own airport but only Russian flights made up the international offering, I was assured by Andy that the coach would be textbook down to that Chonburi Province place. Showing my 'TDAC' QR Code wasn't an issue, the immigration officer never even checked my paper after she saw my British passport. I did see people from a certain Asian country getting grilled like nobody's business! I made it onto the bus, it was apparently going to take me around one hour in total. Andy had arrived the previous night, I stay away from red-eye flights but he took Vietjet? No, thanks BKK!
I was no longer in Bangkok, was telling that Thailand's Benidorm was getting closer? Yes! I was confused during the first stop, the early morning alarm was catching up with me! I followed the crowd as other people got off the bus at the same time, I was thankful for my private car bookings I had made for the way back up to Bangkok. I walked a little bit to find a certain establishment that Andy and his friend had frequented, I knew that it wasn't going to be my thing but when in Thailand. Pattaya showed me something full-frontal from the beginning, I did not once appreciate those feminine charms, it was just not a place for me. I downed my beer and pledged to Andy that we would have breakfast whilst we were both in Pattaya. I made my way to my hotel, I had made it to check-in time and fancied a little swim before a timely disco nap. Pattaya had an edge about it but Jomtien Beach was easy breezy, I had picked the right part of town. Three in the morning felt like a long time ago, I needed to rest! Oh, a Grab car I did take!
I had a zero hostel policy for Pattaya and for the other sectors I remained in a private room. I chose to stay at Tribe Pattaya because the proximity from Jomtien and Dongtan Beach gave me that 'location, location, location!' The reception gave me a rustic view with beige tones but the room gave me nothing but 'holiday basics', I wasn't mad about that minimal presentation. I was living for that 'take as you see it' vibe because Pattaya wasn't going to show me any grace, I wanted it like that! This hotel had hidden depths, the rooms were basic but a rooftop restaurant and pool made me think again about my opinions about this property. I got my swimmers on during that late afternoon period, I was flagging but wanted to have a little dip in the rooftop pool. My South African colleagues at the time had bought me some SA flag speedos, I did wear them! I wasn't mad that I was the only person present, I had the pool to myself, a vista across the 'Gulf of Thailand'. I loved that pool moment, it was calm and I was finally on my holidays, PAT!
My swim was complete, I had soaked the view in enough, the pool was actually getting cold and I didn't have time for sickness! I had suffered enough in the Philippines during December. Golden Hour had set upon Pattaya's ocean view over Jomtien Breach, I knew that my first night lay ahead of me. I returned to my room and had a glorious three hour disco nap, the day had been long and I wanted to resume thereafter. Oh, I had no complaints about my room because the bed was soft and that cat-nap wiped away the journey from China. I dressed with the sun already sleeping, I was ready for Pattaya to 'wake it up!' Would I need to dress to impress? No, I dressed smart casual because I knew the vibe would be relaxed, I was going to take it easy during that first night. Tribe Pattaya was fine, I had a good location with a few paces away from the beach and many amenities on the doorstep. Would it be a quiet one? I didn't mind either way because I had made that first day continue! One thing I needed to find was some food, I craved Moo Krob!
Fresh from my disco-nap, I headed for the beach, well almost! I stumbled across an unassuming Thai cafe with freshly prepared local food for a cut-price! I ordered a Thai omelette, crispy pork belly with rice and a Singha to wash it all down. I had missed Thai food ever since that final meal I ate at the end of my February 2026 holiday near Dong Mueang International Airport. The pork belly was crispy and seasoned just right, the omelette had enough flavour and you know the beer was seen off without hesitation. I wanted to embrace every single moment, being back in Thailand for the second time in one year felt magic. I felt considerably lucky to do that with a second country after the Philippines during 2025. 'Jomtien Beach Road' wasn't particularly alive during that early evening moment, I knew that taking the time to have a good meal would allow the resort town to liven up a bit. My food was simple yet very delicious, it was one of the few places that didn't have Russian signage. Русский was everywhere! So, Pattaya clearly liked that?
How was I still functioning? To be honest, that little sleep was life affirming. I looked back on my first day in Thailand during my first trip and it had been berserk. Spring Airlines held up my tea time arrival into Bangkok's Don Mueang International Airport, I had to run for those first Silom drinks! Thai Airways saw me arriving at lunch time after a 3 in the morning alarm, I reclaimed my time! Now, the meal on the first night in Bangkok during the first throws of that previous trip was something from Patpong Market without much thought. I had picked a quite sedate situation in Jomtien to acclimatise before a 'balls to the wall' night-out the following night in Central Pattaya! Done with my meal, I had lined my stomach for the night ahead. I had things to accomplish the following day, a conservative night would be had! The complex would be a warm-up for 'Boyz Town!' The old age question was, would it be a Grab down to 'Jomtien Complex' or not? I did because I wasn't going to be walking 29 minutes to get to any bar! Go, go!
Andy had told me enough about the complex but I wanted to see it for myself, I was going to be flying solo that night. That independent stance wasn't an issue because its my usual mode, I walked along the covered walkway to be fronted with a range of bars and cabaret spaces. Being a Wednesday evening, I wasn't expecting the most elaborate of shows and to be honest I had clocked a serious amount of performances during my first Thailand visit. I took the evening for what it was, I observed for the first part and got to grips with being the youngest western foreigner by 50 years! I was fresh meat but I wasn't prepared to pay the money to get the honey, I was saving my Baht for another reason because my love doesn't cost a thing! If you believe that, then you'd believe anything! I frequented a few establishments but I was able to watch the cabaret routines from across the way, it was a leisurely evening from start to finish. I was in no rush to bar hop nor see any late night shows, I was there for a good time not a long time. Yes, J!
I saw a curious looking dancing show, it was to cartain tastes but for me it wasn't my thing. I made my way around the corner because the night was warm, I didn't fancy being blasted by the air conditioning, the air outside was comfortable. I found a nice bar, it was my place or a little while longer. I got talking to a local business owner who had recently sold the bar I was drinking at, he said that Pattaya had changed but for me it was a pleaser. I sensed that a few of the bar boys were not Thai, a couple were actually from Cambodia and Laos. Those migrant workers had come to Pattaya to make money, their hustle was valid. For me, I kept things cute, not going over the limit, I didn't need a hangover during my 'Destination' day out in Pattaya the following day, I had things to accomplish. Better still, Central Pattaya deserved my full attention. Making my way back to the hotel via the seafront road was a mood, the breeze was cool and the night was still, I didn't mind the walk on the way back. I slept like a baby, what a day that ended up being!
I Just Loved Jomtien!
Desperately Seeking Adventure




Comments
Post a Comment