The Third Strike: Suzhou, China!

After speaking for around four years, I was ready to meet an old friend in person for the first time! During the first throws of the Pandemic in 2020, that was when myself and Andy got talking after seeing each others messages in a certain expat WeChat group. With Suzhou his base since returning to China from England, it was time that we finally met! Things got very boozy! 

Our communication had been constant, it was almost like we were pen-pals but those WeChat messages simplified things. With Andy settled in Suzhou, after three months since he returned to China, we decided to make that first meeting happen! Leaving work almost immediately on that Friday afternoon just before my birthday had me in a rather celebratory mood. Zipping from Ningbo to Suzhou on a super fast train allowed us to keep some drinking time left, that Friday would be the one! I wasn't mad about returning to Suzhou, the much shorter train journey third time around impressed me much! Of course, as Andy sipped on his first drinks of the night I also had my train bought cans because we weren't messing about! I wasn't prepared for a certain flashback moment, Suzhou North Railway Station took me right back to that 2018 moment instantly! That Suzhou return had me looking at the same two platforms but with a whole cityscape built around it, 苏州北站 had experienced a glow-up! Those famous last words! 

Flagging a taxi didn't take long but the drive down to Wujiang District felt like an epic mission! I would be staying at Andy's place for the weekend, not needing to check into a hotel it made sense to go straight to the bar! Putting a face to a name was surreal but so very correct, conversation flowed and honestly it was blessed for us both to be each others company! Being our first official in-person meeting, it was like we had been friends for a long time already, well those four years spent talking about our woes had not been for nothing! Real talk, both of our lives had taken a battering but with that Mainland China location served, it was time for a real drink up! Meeting Ryan and Brittany was a tonic, they would become friends of mine after that weekend, it was written in the stars! That first night was not heavy because we had some serious 'free flow drinks' to sink the next day! This 'Third Strike' was in full motion, nothing would impact this weekend because it was a long time coming! Honestly, I slept like a baby! Lucky me!

Waking up bright and early-ish allowed me to see the showstopping view over the lake from Andy's apartment window. He went on to tell me that most of the villas below hadn't yet been bought, with most of them standing vacant. With reservations made at a place in town, myself and Andy headed for a much needed Maccies breakfast! It was like I had known Andy for ages, our conversations and banter flowed as if we had known each other longer than 2020! The ride into the city was smooth even thought the traffic over the river had us looking at the time, we would be fine for time in the end! Andy had told me a little bit about this 'free flow' venue, he had said that the place next-door served up 'Bangers & Mash!' Hitting the drinks hard, Andy and his friends were talking about getting a flight booked to Beijing that afternoon. I had not agreed to that sudden and unplanned suggestion! It was all banter, we had no desire to reach Beijing that Saturday! Were those drinks getting stronger? With those drinks, it was about to get messy! 

I have made a rule for myself, I continue to distance myself away from fellow Brits or other western foreigners whilst I drink alcohol overseas. Mostly, in general! To be frank I didn't know these people, as the drink flowed that was when the unsolicited advice came from one person at the table. I was not about to be told nothing about my life when the person didn't know me whatsoever, I said what I said! That November afternoon saw some really nice weather, unseasonably nice weather but it was appreciated nevertheless. As the 'free flow' came to a close, I headed over to that neighbouring venue because I was in great need of a full cooked meal! I had plans to make the most of my trip to Suzhou, I needed food in-order to do that! Heading back to Wujiang District was the right thing for us all, I fell into bed but not before setting an alarm because that slumber would just be an adequately timed 'Disco Nap!' It had been a really heavy afternoon and early evening, Suzhou had big plans for me! SZ, would that be a night-out?

I actually don't know how I was able to get myself out of bed after that 'Disco Nap' because the afternoon had been beyond boozy! Nevermind, I was ready and looking for something to do! I messaged Ryan because he had the same tastes as me, I already knew that he would be able to hook me up! Oh, he did just that! Andy wasn't going to make it out, eating that meal had allowed me to recharge after that short sleep. Heading in a taxi to an unknown location filled me with excitement because aside from a few boozed up 'Family Mart' nights during 2015, I hadn't experienced a full-on night-out in Suzhou yet! Pulling up at that location still didn't tell me what I needed to know, like many Gay Bars in China, this venue was hidden in plain sight behind a very ordinary looking front door. Something about the 'mini disco ball' told me that had I arrived at my intended destination? Oh, I was right! Heading down a small set of stairs opened up that known secret venue, it was going to be an interesting night! How that first drink tasted! 

Oh, that first drink in that mysterious bar was hard work to see off! Well on my way, it was amazing to be in one of those 'secret boys club' once again! I had not yet found a venue like Suzhou's in Ningbo, that bar allowed me some refuge if not for a few hours. I loved surveying that men-only frequented bar, there was something about the vibe that I loved. There was not an ounce of flashiness, I felt welcome and my presence didn't seem like a threat at all. I even saw a Drag performance! I loved my life because I had not expected to find such a bar, I made a contact and another guy made his presence known. Let's just say that Suzhou served up a delicious yet scandalous link-up for me! Honestly speaking, I already knew that I would be returning to this Suzhou establishment during a future Suzhou bound trip! Need I not reveal the finer details of that connection, I have a habit of being an exhibitionist. Heading back to Wujiang felt necessary when I felt a certain craving for some Xinjiang BBQ! How, I needed another meal?

I had already clocked that Xinjiang BBQ place before I had set off for the bar, I knew that leaving things a little longer would work out just fine. I was able to get myself a table pretty quickly upon exiting my Wujiang bound taxi. I loved the late late night warmth in the air, with the aromas from the BBQ I was hungry for a second tea! Ordering my usual BBQ choices, I chose to make my final drink of the night a Wusu beer. My outdoor table had my lucky number adorned on it, maybe that would help me? Oh, it would definitely sort me out! My late late night bites tasted amazing, this type of Chinese food always tastes amazing! The night had been an absolute success, those late night/early morning bites had sorted me out right. Upon paying for my massive Xinjiang meal I was told not to pay, bagging a free meal was totally not what I had expected! Appreciated all the same, did they think that I was from the Xinjiang ethnic group? I did not know! My lucky number '14' had helped me out good and proper! SZ, I needed to sleep! 

Andy was in disbelief that I had made it out after that 'free flow' session, he had stayed in bed for the rest of the night without getting anything to eat! I was not feeling well but that was to absolutely be expected, I had managed to pull an all-day and all-night session with only a brief rest in the middle. We headed for another live-saving Maccies breakfast, we were both experiencing critical hangovers! The lake brought me back to the beginning of my Suzhou weekender, we bought a livener because that 'hair of the dog' made me feel briefly better. That Sunday morning was gorgeous, the weather was pleasant and bright with the lake in full view. That walk along the waters in Wujiang was just what we needed to conduct our debrief of the weekend. We knew that first weekend in Suzhou would be one of many, it was time for me to make tracks back to Ningbo before the working week recommenced. Taking the train from Suzhou Railway Station with such a hangover didn't surprise me, I felt horrendous! Oh, Suzhou! 

Oops, Suzhou Did It Again! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure

Comments