Spotlight: Pattaya, Thailand!

My initial travel day and first night hadn't wiped out the following day, I was up and out onto the streets at a reasonable time! I had no business clocking the amount of places because I gave Miss Pattaya her own 'Spotlight' moment! From a questionable 'Floating Market' to a wooden 'Sanctuary of Truth', Pattaya told me no lies during that 'Destination' day! Yes, Jomtien Beach! 

Being in 'tourist central', I had a western breakfast because it was the easiest thing to find at the time. My hangover didn't happen, I had been cautiously merry the previous night because I knew that I had a whole new place to clock! I knew the following day would be a lazy beach day, I didn't need a full itinerary after a night of shenanigans up 'Central!' I went for a high protein German breakfast with sausages, bread and coffee to satisfy those western cravings! I would make it up later to the wonder that is Thai cuisine, of course! Pattaya's 'Floating Market' looked interesting? It was a pragmatic choice because during my previous trip to Thailand in February 2026, I was unable to see such a market. Pattaya was all about embracing new things with a healthy serving of tourist on the side, Miss Pattaya was a touristic buffet! The 'Floating Market' gave me about 40 minutes of sights and delights, I saw those boats float by but no active life could be seen because it was early. I wasn't going to play with my time, I had things to see! Yes!

Snacks and meals of all variations were being prepared but I had strategically featured. I had chosen to have breakfast earlier, I didn't need anything to eat at the market. Would any purchases be made for my students? No, no. Sure, I wasn't mad! I'm not even sure in this moment what I wanted from the 'Floating Market' in Pattaya because it was really bizarre, no shade. I had a good walk around the area and crossed the many bridges and towpaths to realise this point of interest was completely man-made, reflecting one year later I wanted to embrace everything during that Pattaya day! The attraction in-question was something different for me to see, it quelled the need to see a lively market because I was able to get the essence without putting up with any crowds. With my visit complete, I needed to hatch a further plan because I had things to see! 'Wat Phra Yai?' Calling a 'Grab' car, I headed over to my second place of the day, time wasn't going to stop, I kept moving forward! 'Floating Market', it was a pleasure! Bye!

Secondly, after my Grab ride left the 'Floating Market', I was fronted with a few old steps to climb! The hill to get to the bottom of those stairs was steep, the taxi halfway up was a blessing! I was hot and needed serious refreshment, I went for an ice cold Thai tea! Hydrated and sweetened by that ice cold drink, I started the respectably easy climb to the top. Now, this 'Golden Buddha' situation gave me my 'Phuket Redemption' with that one closed due to a rather worrying structural problem. Basically, Pattaya was doing its best to right those wrongs from the first trip to Thailand I had took. Before I started the climb, I loitered with intent to eavesdrop on their fellow foreign tourists, I won't expose their nationality but they were rude and spoke to the Thai business owners like something unsanitary was on their shoe! Rude! Clocking those dragon claws, I scaled the hundred or something steps to the top of this unknown viewpoint, it was unknown to me! What delights would I see? Would I be able to snatch an ocean skyline view, P? 

The view from the top of 'Wat Phra Yai's' highest point was lovely, the refreshing views of the ocean were gorgeous! In that moment, it was lovely to capture another seaside view before I would enjoy my beach day! Backtracking, the snake-like styled staircase had major significance with seven heads of the 'Naga-serpent' in Theravada Buddhism. The shimmering golden Buddha shone in the sunshine, the many different golden pieces were gorgeous. I didn't feel the need to snap away like a paparazzo because the views were mine to keep in my head. Those mention tourists were doing too much, they needed to preserve their visa-fee entry policies. I felt centred by my visit to Pattaya's 'Wat Phra Yai', it gave me something spiritual and was most definitely a warm-up for the third attraction of that jam-packed day! I felt centred and accomplished that an elevated golden sight was witnessed after Phuket's there lack of. Navigating those steps and hill down to the entrance of 'Wat Phra Yai' was a process but not a stress. 'The Sanctuary of' what?! 

An unfinished temple? A construction site? A working progress? Yes, Pattaya's own 'Sanctuary of Truth' museum impressed me much! I knew about this Pattaya landmark through my friend Andy, he had visited before and highly recommended that it was worth a look! Taking yet another Grab car from the entrance/exit of 'Wat Phra Yai' allowed me to skirt around the Central core of Pattaya's city centre, an area I would be frequenting later on. Now, I was going to need some pre-night out absolution from this 'Ayutthaya Kingdom' style all-wooden temple! Those three taxis hadn't cost me the earth because those prices were nowhere near UK prices, I was enjoying be driven around town. I paid for my time-slot, it was interesting because I didn't have my passport but no issues arose. I scaled down the winding steps onto what felt like a beach but definitely wasn't one! I wanted to snap away and learn more about this iconic addition to my Pattaya day! Donning my hard-hat, I followed the group I found myself part of. The rain did fall! 

Based upon Hindu and Buddhist beliefs, it was intriguing to see the intricate carving of Ganesha, Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. I was captivated by the detail of the wooden temple, serious craftsmanship had been placed to complete this temple with true skills and style. Both Northern and Southern halls had me gooped once again, I was gagged by the whole experience! The tour guide was friendly and had a great patter, people were doing the most but her Filipina charm captivated her time guiding us. I remember taking my time walking through the temples halls, it was a temple that truly captivated me. I was bowled over by the presence of this temple, it was imposing in a way but effortlessly beautiful in the next. With such as overseas influence, it felt weird to be in Thailand still because this type of temple served something different, I loved it all! I fancied completing my epic day with a visit to a nearby beach but with time pressing on. Truthfully, it was the dogs on the road that spooked me, the temple-side beach was not the one! 

As that beach moment was diverted, I took a taxi back to Jomtien Beach to get ready ahead of my 'After Hours' experience. The journey back from the 'Sanctuary of Truth' took me near Central in a reverse direction, Pattaya was getting me ready for that night-out before I had even had my tea! The day had been fulled packed, the subdued nature of the 'Floating Market' certainly gave me a unique experience with that facet of the trip ticked off my list. I was foolish because I had skipped lunch but some divine intervention during my visit to 'Wat Phra Yai' kept me going, the vista from the top was worth it all! I don't need to think about the 'Sanctuary of Truth' again because it told no lies. I did get some shady nodes during my attempted walk to that unknown beach, those condos had a lot of signs in Russian and speakers also. I was noticing that this part of Thailand harboured a lot of 'runaway tourism' whilst the war in Ukraine continues to leave such tourists free to seamlessly enjoy their lives. Thailand needs to sort out their stance?

Freshened up, I committed myself to experiencing one beach moment before the sunset. I resurfaced looking much fresher, I was ready for my first beer of the day! Hitting up one of those iconic Thai convenience stores, I chose to start the night with a can of Singha. The sunset was lovely and the beer even more so, it was a gorgeous setting to start planning my night as the ocean blue looked still. It was a juxtapose, facing onto the beach I soaked in something lush and peaceful with sand, palm trees and the ocean acting as a calming picture. Whereas, behind me facing the road, it was bedlam, it was giving 'Benidorm' but I was living for that image because those lights, sights and sounds reminded me that I was in one of Thailand's most popular beach towns! The day had been wonderful, I headed for something to eat but you'll need to read the next instalment to get the 'After Hours' scoop from start to finish of that insane and salaciously scandalous night-out! Pattaya's 'Spotlight' had shone brightly on me that day! Tom Yum for tea?

Pattaya Shined On! 

Desperately Seeking Adventure 

Comments